I have had my xbox since it was launched.(technically 3 days after launch) and it has been performing relativly well. In november, i purchased and extended warranty from MS. it cost $26 for one year, and I am sure glad i bought it. Recently though it started giving me problems. Certain games would lock up hard...never in the same place..but frequently. if i were to look at the disc, there were no scratches or finger prints. sometimes during video cut scenes or intros, it would freeze for 15-20 seconds, then play..and do this several times. occasionally it would tell me that the disc is damaged or dirty, even though it isnt. and recently one game would boot up with only audio.. no video signal at all. all of these games that gave me problems work perfectly fine on several of my friend's xboxes. Being a first generation xbox, it had a Thompson DVD drive, and according to what i read online, there are alot of problems with the thompson drives. SO i called and arranged for it to be sent in for repair. they sent me an empty box for me to ship it in, and they pay for shipping both ways. I packed it up and shipped it out last monday. Aiborn express came and picked it up about 3pm.(southwestern NY) and shipped it to Tennesee. when i came home from work on friday, there was a not saying they tried to deliver it, but i wasnt there to sign for it. (friday about 10, at my apartment in northwestern PA) I had told them to ship it to where i work, like they did with the empty box, but they apparetnly decided not to do that. SO i had to call them Friday night and ask them to deliver it to where i work on monday. SO today about lunch time my xbox arrived. THey dont indicate what was wrong with it, although i suspected the DVD drive. I used a paper clip and ejected the drive to find out that they did replace it. I had a Thompson drive before, and now i have a samsung.(which is supposed to be the best out of the three they use). i will have to wait till i get home tonight to try it out...I am hoping that all of my saved games, and 400 songs are still intact on the hard drive. I backed up my games to memory cards, but the songs will take forever to put back on.

I use my xbox pretty heavily, and i am really suprised that it has lasted this long without problems, especially since so many people had problems with the thompson drives.

so, do you guys have an xbox? if so, have you had any problems with it?

i highly reccomend purchasing the extended warranty. it is $26/year, and it doesnt matter if your original warranty has already run out, you can still purchase and extended warranty. That way if you do have a problem, they pay for the shipping both ways, and fix yoru xbox for no additional charge. $26 is well worth the security of knowing it will be protected. and their service is really fast. they told me 7 to 10 days from when i shipped it. but i shipped it monday afternoon and it was back friday morning. as long as it works when i get home, i am very pleased with their service.