Whats a good DVD burner?

Thread: Whats a good DVD burner?

Whats a good DVD burner?

I need a DVD burner ASAP, my HD is getting full (5GB left) and with everything I record from TV I need to move videos to DVD ASAP because 5GB wont last me two weeks.

I wanted an 8x but now that I see they only burn dvd+r at 8x and Ive been told dvd+r are the least compatible so I'm not sure whats the point of getting an 8x if its still only 4x with dvd-r. Are there any that do dvd-r at 8x?

I'd like a sony if they have any good ones because I owned a few CD writers and they ALL broke after a few months except my sony thats still going strong after 2 years.

Is this a good one?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=51070

Thanks

I've got the Sony 510 and have been very happy with it. The 530 looks nice.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

liteon 411s here. love it! but if you are going to get it and burn -R the FSOF firmware is the most stable for -R. you can find it and instructions over at club.cdfreak.com in the liteon forum.

the newest official firmware which is FSOH gave me both audio and visual problems on -R when I was backing up the 1st season of southpark episodic DVDs using dvdshrink 3.1 (which I HIGHLY, HIGHLY reccomend see below.)
    went back to FSOF and burns have played perfect again.

as far as dvdshrink, It's everything I wanted in a dvd backup solution. you can preview titles in full screen (so as to see which are wide screen format and which are full screen) and you can preview any audio stream associated with the title. makes doing movie only backups (using reauthor mode) almost completely coaster proof. it's a little - stress very little more work than DVD Xcopy, but I no longer have to test with a +RW because I know exactly what I'm going to get before I burn. with Xcopy sometimes I'd end up with the directors commentary or something crazy like that.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

I will use the drive mostly as a removable hard drive than to copy DVDs, would buying one with DVD-RAM support be better for me? Im still not sure about the difference between DVD-/+RW and DVD-RAM, is it just a compatibility issue?

Also, does that sony support mt rainer? I didnt see it in the specs, if not what other good drive supports it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    I need a DVD burner ASAP, my HD is getting full (5GB left) and with everything I record from TV I need to move videos to DVD ASAP because 5GB wont last me two weeks.

I wanted an 8x but now that I see they only burn dvd+r at 8x and Ive been told dvd+r are the least compatible so I'm not sure whats the point of getting an 8x if its still only 4x with dvd-r. Are there any that do dvd-r at 8x?

I'd like a sony if they have any good ones because I owned a few CD writers and they ALL broke after a few months except my sony thats still going strong after 2 years.

Is this a good one?

Thanks
    LG burners are rated as some of the most captable DVD burners out there, and some of the fastest for reading any other media. And you can get one for 125 or less from pricewatch.com. Take a look at www.tomshardware.com for some reviews that you did.

Is this a good one?

Thanks
    Sony just announced they will no longer manufacture DVD/CD drives/writers. They will market Liteon drives with their name.

I have two(2) dvd 16X dvd readers and found out they are Liteon drives. I'm not very fond of Liteon drives, however there have been some glowing reviews for their 8X dual format drive. The price for a Liteon drive start $69.00 (after rebate). Check your local sales fliers
    for the various places (e.g. CompUSA, Office Max and Staples) most of their 8x DVD writers (off brand) are Liteon drives.

If you want to reliability and longevity look at the Plextor 8X DVD dual
    format drive. It has excelent ratings, however it is a bit expensive ($190.00+).

If you would go to tomshardware.com they have reviewed numerous DVD writers recently.

This may sound weird, but do they still make DVD writers that use the cartridges? I like the idea of having the disc constantly protected whioch would make me feel safer to keep a single copy of files on DVDs.

Thanks

This may sound weird, but do they still make DVD writers that use the cartridges?
    Thanks
    I doubt you'll find an optical drive with a caddy system anymore.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Most definantly the one, the only, the very best... Plextor 708A (PX-708A/SW-BL) Make sure you get the SW-BL or SW and not the BPS. It's on sale at newegg.com for $189.

It's got a 5 star rating by 35 shoppers. I just bought one, also anandtech.com did a review and it beat sony, asus, LiteOn and many more. For the money it's worth it to buy high quality stuff but if you don't have the extra cash you could go for This one or this one.

here is my new system I just ordered, I should have it all in today.

*) Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe with the SiS655TX , yes that's right the hard to find SiS655TX chipset......Ohhh yeah! you can't touch this with your Intel chipset. Good luck trying to find a place that has these in stock.
    $109...aztekcomputers.com anandtech.com review

*) Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - OEM
    $261...newegg.com

*) Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Pure Copper CPU Cooler for AMD XP Socket 462,754 and Intel Socket 478.
    ...just look and this bute
    $42.99...newegg.com

*) Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3700 with Platinum Heat Spreader
    $140...newegg.com anandtech review

*) Plextor 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW, Retail
    $189...newegg.com

*) Plextor 16X DVD-Rom Drive, Model PX-116A, OEM
    $34...newegg.com

*) case, cheap...very cheap like $30 cheap....I don't care how it looks.

My excuse to my wife for spending our estimated tax return on an new computer was that I wanted to put all of our sons Digital Video's on DVD. She thought is was a great idea, not knowing that this was possible...to burn DVD's.

I've got the Memorex dual format 4x and it beat out the rest for burning speed (of the 4x drives of course). It is a very compatible drive and got great review. It's worth a check!

Joe

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    I've got a TDK indi440n and I must say it's most excellent. I got it as an open box OEM drive for $100, so far I have no complaints. I figured I couldn't beat the price. That being said Plextor IS the standard that all others try to be! Ya can't go wrong with a Plextor drive!
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.