Monitor Recommendation

Thread: Monitor Recommendation

Monitor Recommendation

My current AOC 17" CRT has been getting darker and darker. Almost to the point were When I play games Some of the objects are to dark. So I am in search for a new Monitor.

Being I primary use my computer for Gaming and some Internet browsing, I would rather Spend my $400 for a very Nice 19" CRT than a somewhat ok LCD screen.

just one Idea I have viewsonic

any other Recommendation would be helpfull.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by deseqer
    My current AOC 17" CRT has been getting darker and darker. Almost to the point were When I play games Some of the objects are to dark. So I am in search for a new Monitor.

Being I primary use my computer for Gaming and some Internet browsing, I would rather Spend my $400 for a very Nice 19" CRT than a somewhat ok LCD screen.

just one Idea I have viewsonic

any other Recommendation would be helpfull.
    I have an older PF790 and love it. I have had good luck with Viewsonic I recommend it to everyone. I have helped friends and family buy at least 3 other units all very good displays.

For the price try this, you can't beat the Costco warranty and can use the balance of your $400 for a new video card.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Thanks for the Recommendation. I just purchased a MSI Geforce4 4200 128mg 8x video card last year, and I am still pretty much still happy with its preformance. It would be nice to move up to a better one, but just cannot justify it yet this year. Maybe when Halflife 2 is released.

Don't know maybe I should just hold out for the Tax return to come back and get me one of these

Thanks for the Recommendation. I just purchased a MSI Geforce4 4200 128mg 8x video card last year, and I am still pretty much still happy with its preformance. It would be nice to move up to a better one, but just cannot justify it yet this year. Maybe when Halflife 2 is released.

Don't know maybe I should just hold out for the Tax return to come back and get me one of these
    If you are mostly playing games, you definately want to be aware of the response time of any lcd you buy. Should be 16ms or less to eliminate ghosts and streaking in your games. Good luck.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by jitBob
    If you are mostly playing games, you definately want to be aware of the response time of any lcd you buy. Should be 16ms or less to eliminate ghosts and streaking in your games. Good luck.
    Been reading about that. and on a few sites, they talked about several LCD monitors that claimed they were the 16ms but in real tests they did not come close to that. Toms Hardware for one source Believe Me if i do save the money for a nice LCD screen I will be Reading alot of Reviews, Specs, and Hopefully some Hands on.

Was hopping for some More opitions about nice CRT monitors, But I guess not many people use them anymore. Don't blame them just because of Size. Space is not a issue for me. I guess thats why I am still looking for a CRT.

Been reading about that. and on a few sites, they talked about several LCD monitors that claimed they were the 16ms but in real tests they did not come close to that. Toms Hardware for one source Believe Me if i do save the money for a nice LCD screen I will be Reading alot of Reviews, Specs, and Hopefully some Hands on.

Was hopping for some More opitions about nice CRT monitors, But I guess not many people use them anymore. Don't blame them just because of Size. Space is not a issue for me. I guess thats why I am still looking for a CRT.
    Space is not a problem for me as well, I have a whole room as "my office" with a big CEO desk

I really like the KDS Xtreme Flat 19" CRT monitor. They run about $199 (often before rebates and www.mwave.com has them for $160 or so. My local Costco had 17" Envision (EN-775e) CRT's for $129, which the better half and I gave to her brother for X-Mas... they are very clear.

Personally, my top monitor picks would be 1. Viewsonic, 2. Viewsonic, 3. NEC. My warranty rate on Viewsonic has been very low, unlike KDS, and their service is great. NEC's are clear, bright, and they have good warranty policies. All monitors replaced by NEC under warranty are replaced with new monitors (not refurbs) during the entire 3 year warranty, and the replacements are always the same level or better.

Still, I like Viewsonic, and I think the G series is the best price/performance point, but if cost is an issue, the E series looks nice at a lower price. (The A series is identical, but is only sold at some chains like Best Buy, etc.) I sell lots of their Perfect Flat series and most customers like them. but I don't think the overall display quality is as good as the G's.

I would definitely buy a good or even midrange CRT over anything but a top-end LCD. Response times for display updates and PRICE are still really big concerns.

I'm a big fan of CRTs as well. Aside from the cliche problems of pixels going bad in the middle of your screen, I prefer the preformance of a good CRT and I think you get more bang for your buck. Unless space is a real critical issue I think LCDs are more expensive toy than effective technology.

I've always stuck to NEC monitors, I have had a viewsonic at home that lasted for years and never had problems. We've had several here at work and I don't recall having ever had an issue with them.

I think you're wise to plan on spending a bit extra here, particularly being a gamer. You'll use that monitor for years and buying something reliable that it's manufacturer will stand behind is a great idea.

I haven't bought any monitors for some time so I can't give you any specific recommendations other than to echo the previous votes for NEC and Viewsonic brands. I would be careful where you buy from, you can save a few bucks if you shop around but some less reputable online vendors may ship you a refurbished or returned unit for that rock bottom price.

Read some reviews, like you mentioned. Decide on a make and model, then get the best price you can from somewhere reputable.

I will add one caveat. Someone mentioned their KDS monitor, I've had problems with numerous KDS monitors recently, dropping like flies literally a month after the warrantee expired. I'm not a big fan of their return policies and procedures either.
    If it's true that wherever you go, there you are: how come so many people look lost?

I'm gonna jump on board and say Viewsonic as well. We have an E90f here at work that is really remarkable. I also like Iiyama, but we've been having some trouble with their distributor doing some wierd things with the markups.

I am very pleased with my hitachi cm715
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thank you all very much for The words of wisdom. I have pretty much have disided that I will be going with the veiwsonic Brand for a Monitor. Now all I have to do is diside if I want to give up some Text sharpment by going with the G90f which uses Shadow Mask. or loss some picture ql but better Text and go with P95f+ .

ah never mind just going to order the p95fplus. Thanks all