A7N8X Deluxe - How do You turn Onboard Audio Off.

Thread: A7N8X Deluxe - How do You turn Onboard Audio Off.

A7N8X Deluxe - How do You turn Onboard Audio Off.

I need some help and information as to how to turn off the onboard audio for the ASUS Motherboard Deluxe with NVidia Sound Storm Audio.
    ASUS A7N8X DELUXE, AMD XP 2800; with AMD XP Cool Master fan, 2-sticks Kingston 512/333/PC2700 DDR Memory; Two(2) Hard Drives-Maxtor 80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133, 8 MB Cache; Maxtor 40 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133; Chaintech 64 MB Nvidia g-Force 2 MX 400/200; IOmega 100 Internal zip drive; Litetron 52 x 32 x 52 CD-RW; Antec 430 W TruePower power supply; Windows XP Home.

according to page 58 - 60 in the manual you disable it in bios.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yea, I know that. But it is not clearly indicated as to what turns off. Any Idea as to the ID of the item.
    ASUS A7N8X DELUXE, AMD XP 2800; with AMD XP Cool Master fan, 2-sticks Kingston 512/333/PC2700 DDR Memory; Two(2) Hard Drives-Maxtor 80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133, 8 MB Cache; Maxtor 40 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133; Chaintech 64 MB Nvidia g-Force 2 MX 400/200; IOmega 100 Internal zip drive; Litetron 52 x 32 x 52 CD-RW; Antec 430 W TruePower power supply; Windows XP Home.

Just where Noo Noo said.
    "Onboard AC97 Audio Controller"
    In Integrated Peripherals in Advanced.
    Got one right here, with onboard disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Many Horses
    Yea, I know that. But it is not clearly indicated as to what turns off. Any Idea as to the ID of the item.
    In the BIOS, advanced tab, onboard AC97 audio controller,change auto to disabled.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

I'm just curious, are you planning on using another sound card to replace the onboard audio (which can be disabled using the BIOS, BTW )?

The onboard audio on nForce2 motherboards is one of their most attractive features, so I'm wondering what you're replacing it with.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

and dont forget the Midi device which is HIGHLIGHTED showing it at the bottom of the screen.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I am having some sound distortion noises when I am running Nascar 2003. Apparently some of my league buddies had the same problem with the Nvidia OnBoard sound on this motherboard. They substituted SB Live 5.1 and distortions left and clarity was good. I am going to try a Soundblaster Live 5.1 Digital that I borrowed and see if that works for me.

If any of you know a way to clean up the distortions with out changing out the card. Let me know.

Here is a note from the Nascar 2003 Read Me file:

- Nforce2 on-board sound
    nForce2 motherboards using on-board audio has known issues with pre-2.0 drivers. 2.0 or later drivers should resolve the issue. People using third-party audio cards should make sure the on-board audio has been disabled in the BIOS, and NR2003 should run fine. If using the ASUS nForce2 Deluxe motherboard and having issues with motherboard audio, you can try to copy the ASUS audio .INF file into the same directory as the nForce 2.0 universal driver set's audio drivers and re-run the audio setup/installer program.

I do not know how to do what that note says, nor have I been able to find the files they reference to.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks,

Many Horses (Ron)

go here to download the latest nforce driver for your system. save the file somewhere and run it.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_3.13