unusual dos/usb/ntfs issue...

Thread: unusual dos/usb/ntfs issue...

unusual dos/usb/ntfs issue...

ok, here goes...
    I have a sabrent 2.5" to usb 2.0 adapter with a Hitachi 60Gb 7200rpm 2.5" HDD connected. Due to system limitations, I can only connect to my system using USB 1.1. This is ok for usual operation. It's a bit slow, but... Under win xp pro, i can access and manipulate most data, but after a problem on another system, several folders containing various files have been created and I cannot delete them. most notably, a system volume information folder and several subs. I've tried everything i know to remove them, but cannot under xp. I've built a dos boot disk that i can read via ntfs reader, but cannot delete under this prog. I've tried to load ntfspro after loading the dos usb driver(which is successful), but the ntfspro prog starts a failure loop that gives me a opcode error string. I am at a loss as to what to do next as a google search doesn't bring up anything regarding dos, usb support and ntfs access together. please help... :-]

i don't know if this is going to help you or not but is just a suggestion. go into windows safe mode. right click and go to properties and goto the security tab and see who it says is the owner of that or those files that you can not access. you may need to take ownership of them to be able to delete them or access them. the reason i say do this in safe mode is that in normal mode so xp computers do not show the security tab just the sharing tab. but it does show up in safemode. goodluck
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "I've always been crazy, it has keep me from going insane"

also i forgot to say welcome to windrivers it is nice to see somebody else from ohio in here. there are a few of us from ohio here.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "I've always been crazy, it has keep me from going insane"

partially fixed...

Notorius_carl- Thanks for the tip. This advice made it possible to remove the offensive files. However, by going through this, i have found a new problem. The read/write access to any ntfs drive locks the system when attempting to use deltree, regardless of bus (ide or usb). I only have read access, no write. Any attempt to write locks the system.

a system volume information
    isnt that part of a new drive format, i.e. something essential?

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    isnt that part of a new drive format, i.e. something essential?
    no, it is a part of the system restore subset. The folder is created when your system first tries to set a restore point. In my case, i had the drive connected to a client system that i ran windows update on. The drive was read by windows update and a restore point was created, but the process was interrupted. Upon reboot, the drive contained the sys-vol-info folder and it was "owned" by the update process. By changing the owner as was suggested above, i was able to delete it. The regular system resore and sys=vol=info folder on c: was unaffected.

I've disabled System Restore, yet on 2 ext. hdd's xp still makes a hidden system volume info folder.