Need new removable storage drive: DVD or Tape?

Thread: Need new removable storage drive: DVD or Tape?

Hybrid View

Need new removable storage drive: DVD or Tape?

Here's my problem: I have a tuner card so I record a lot of TV shows on my PC so I use up the space pretty fast. I used to put the files larger than 1GB on two 15/30GB ADR tapes that I used for movies and backed up my PC to 2 other ADR tapes but now my 4 tapes as well as my hard drive are full, so I cant backup anymore and I'm out of space.

I can either get a DVD writer but at only 4.7GB/disk it's pretty useless especially since I'm used to 15GB/disk. This would take me about 20 DVDs just to move my movie files, then I would be able to make a full backup of my other files to 2 or 3 tapes, which is still a lot of tapes for a full backup.

Or I can get a tape drive with at least 30GB uncompressed and use 1-2 tapes for my video files and 1 tape to backup (it would have to be a drive supported by 1Safe or with drivers that allow drive letter access so I can watch movies right from the tape like I do now).

I'm leaning towards a Sony AIT tape drive rather than a DVD writer since in less than a year there will be 9.4GB (dual layer) recordable DVDs and I dont feel like having my movies spread out on 20 DVDs that I have to juggle each time I want to find a movie. I can also sell my current tape drive and tapes for at least $150 US if I get a new tape drive.

Which option would you think is best?

I want to pay $500 US max. for a tape drive with at least 30GB uncompressed, I dont mind getting it used. Is AIT the most cost effective? I was very impressed that the 35/90GB tapes are only $39, thats cheaper than the 15/30GB tapes I use now! New AIT drives seem to be about $100-150 above my budget, is it worth saving for a few weeks and get a new $600-700 AIT drive? It seems pretty expensive to me since I'm a student but I desperately need a large removable storage drive.

Thanks
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; January 27th, 2004 at 10:35 PM.

Have you thought about compressing the files more with something like divx?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

I've got hundreds of videos, it would take days to convert them all, and I have a 72" XGA screen so I dont want to sacrifice any quality, they already arent recorded at a very high bitrate. Plus I'm missing at least 40GB in space. I really need a removable storage drive.

Hello,
    IMHO
    Tape Vs. DVD-R

Tape
    Pros: Good Gb/$ Ratio, Can Hold up High amount of Data
    Cons: Slow, Tape Drive Expensive

DVD
    Pro: FAST, Reliable (Not Influenced By EM or Heat/Humidity), Drive is Cheaper
    Cons: Expensive Media, Small amount of DATA.

I think You can do two things:
    1. Reduce your data size
    2. Try thinking about Larger HDD (HDD's offer best Data Per $ ratio).
    With 500$ you can buy something like 3-4 120GB Seagate (or any other) HDD.

Just Make upi your mind:
    Backup/Archive = Tape
    Removable Media = DVD
    Mass Storage Device / Removable Media (Yes I have External USB case) = HDD

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    Hello,

2. Try thinking about Larger HDD (HDD's offer best Data Per $ ratio).
    With 500$ you can buy something like 3-4 120GB Seagate (or any other) HDD.
    this is a really good point. I just looked and 120GB drives are $78 at newegg. purchase 4 of these along with a raid controller card (probably about $25-$40) and set up a RAID 0+1 and you've got 240GB of additional storage that is faster to access than a single drive and redundant because it's mirrored. . . . and you haven't spent $400.

I can't see playing anything off tape directly. . . you'd have to restore first then play. and I could see lot's of dvds being a bit of a pain, though if properly indexed and stored it really wouldn't be bad.

I like the hard drive idea.

newegg also has samsung 160GB Hard Drives with 3 year warranty for $99.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

...& you can of course make it all removable by buying hard disk caddys which are about $10-15 each ...

p.s buy sata not pata , think 'future proof' (the cost of a sata controller card is about the same as an additional ide/pata one- from $30 upwards)