AVG 6.0 Free & 7.0 PRO

Thread: AVG 6.0 Free & 7.0 PRO

AVG 6.0 Free & 7.0 PRO

I have yet to put AVG 7.0 PRO on my main computer but I did with my bro-in-law's computer (AVG 6.0 Free) and it scans daily, here is the log.

--

Results of Complete Test, date and time 01/14/2004 14:00:23 :

Testing C:\ volume MAXTOR 5GB serial 986C-9F11
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WINDOWS\USRCLASS.DAT Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WINDOWS\UsrClass.dat.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WINDOWS\USRCLASS.DAT Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WINDOWS\UsrClass.dat.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\PAUL\NTUSER.DAT Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\PAUL\ntuser.dat.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\PAUL\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WINDOWS\USRCLASS.DAT Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\PAUL\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WINDOWS\UsrClass.dat.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\PRINTERS\FP00000.SHD Cannot open; not checked!
    Testing D:\ volume User Files serial 8099-204A
    Testing S:\ volume SWAP FILE serial D8B1-7346

Test finished, duration 00:09:48.0 s
    12530 objects tested, 0 found infected

--

How come it is not scanning some of the files above and how do I go about setting it up to do so? Is it important that they are scanned or are they locked via WPA (or whatever) and cannot be harmed by a virus? The computer is a XP Home box, just recently installed with all updates and all...

Thanks!

Was this question ever answered? I have the exact same question.
    Any help about AVG would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by NetScum
    I have yet to put AVG 7.0 PRO on my main computer but I did with my bro-in-law's computer (AVG 6.0 Free) and it scans daily, here is the log.

--

Results of Complete Test, date and time 01/14/2004 14:00:23 :

Testing C:\ volume MAXTOR 5GB serial 986C-9F11
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WINDOWS\USRCLASS.DAT Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WINDOWS\UsrClass.dat.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WINDOWS\USRCLASS.DAT Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WINDOWS\UsrClass.dat.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\PAUL\NTUSER.DAT Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\PAUL\ntuser.dat.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\PAUL\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WINDOWS\USRCLASS.DAT Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\Documents and Settings\PAUL\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WINDOWS\UsrClass.dat.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.LOG Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\PRINTERS\FP00000.SHD Cannot open; not checked!
    Testing D:\ volume User Files serial 8099-204A
    Testing S:\ volume SWAP FILE serial D8B1-7346

Test finished, duration 00:09:48.0 s
    12530 objects tested, 0 found infected

--

How come it is not scanning some of the files above and how do I go about setting it up to do so? Is it important that they are scanned or are they locked via WPA (or whatever) and cannot be harmed by a virus? The computer is a XP Home box, just recently installed with all updates and all...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jjwebdesigns
    Was this question ever answered? I have the exact same question.
    Any help about AVG would be greatly appreciated.
    Nope

I have to assume this is how AVG works. So far nary a virus has been found on my computers...

I like your interpretation, that those files are locked and not vulnerable. I worry so much about spyware that can change or introduce routines without my knowing it.

Meanwhile, my computer is so sluggish and I know the registry is a mess, I guess I have to figure out some other cause than a virus or a trojan. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by NetScum
    Nope

I have to assume this is how AVG works. So far nary a virus has been found on my computers...

You mention that you think your registry is a mess - and this most certainly may be causing some of your slowdown.

An excellent free program I have used since Win95 and continue to use on my XP machine is Jouni Vuoro's RegCleaner. Sadly, it has been supplanted by a newer (for pay) product and is no longer available from him, but it may still be found and downloaded at -

http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-dow...cleaner4.3.htm

Once installed, it has various functions that are very useful, but the best all-around feature is found at Tools > Registry Cleanup > Do them all. You may be shocked at the sheer number of files it finds the first time!
    Select > all once that's done and these will be moved to Backup - but I've *never* had a problem resulting in me needing to restore these back.

Similarly, if you're running XP, you may want to look at the Black Viper site -

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Not a program, but the site offers *very* extensive guides as to what 'Services' actually needs to be running in the background, depending on what you do with your machine and what to reset to make it run more efficiently and effectively.

Hope this helps!

Meanwhile...

If you are "so worried about spyware" it goes without saying that AVG and other antivirus programs aren't necessarily going to stop those - nor are they designed to.

I trust you already installed a firewall program, like the free ZoneAlarm, which will at least allow you to block spyware from 'calling home' - while products like Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster and Spybot will allow you to clean your machine of most of them - providing you keep their reference files updated. Likewise, the people who produce SpywareBlaster also have free real-time (always on) product called SpywareGuard.

I use Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster and Spybot together - what one program may miss, the others will likely find - depending on how recent their updates are. And, of course, a firewall.