New CDRW won't write at at correct speed

Thread: New CDRW won't write at at correct speed

New CDRW won't write at at correct speed

Hi guys. I just got a Samsung 252F 52x24x52 cdrw drive. I immediately upgraded it to the latest firmware revision. After I was done with that, I went to write a cd using Nero 5.5. The software only gives the maximum write speed as 40x, instead of the 52x that it is supposed to be. I then tried it using Roxio 6 w/ all updates, and it reported the same thing, 40x. Why won't it recognize the correct speed? Thanks

You will need better quality media. Try some rated for 52x in a name brand.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

or your hard drive cannot supply the data fast enough so nero/roxio steps the burn speed down to match the data flow.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I guess the hard drive thing is possible. It's a Seagate 7200 rpm ATA100 drive. On the media issue, though, I have tried Philips and TDK media, both rated at 48x, so the discs I'm using aren't of a no-name brand.

the seagate should be fine unless its not running in full ATA5 mode.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

CD read/write speeds are fictitious. They represent ideal speeds under laboratory conditions. If quality is good but it just takes a few seconds longer to burn, don't worry, be happy.