you probably need a new computer

Thread: you probably need a new computer

Hybrid View

you probably need a new computer

I’m having one of those months where everybody wants their old computer to do the latest greatest stuff. But they don’t want to spend any more then a hundred bucks for the upgrades.

Along the lines off Jeff Foxworthy’s you might be a redneck, I’ve been thinking of posting a big new sign in my store.

If you’re trying to install IE 6 or AOL 9 on a computer with Windows 95, you probably need a new computer.

If you’re trying to install Windows XP on that PII 300 with 32 MB RAM, you probably need a new computer.

If you’re trying to play Unreal Tournament on a computer that originally came with Windows 3.1, you probably need a new computer.

If you’re trying to install a new multifunction printer on a Pentium 133, you probably need a new computer.

If you bought a computer for $499.00, including monitor, from Wal-Mart the day after Thanksgiving, and you’re trying to do anything with it, you probably need a new computer.

If you’re trying to add a 128 MB 8X AGP card to a Compaq, you probably need a new computer.

If you’re trying to edit video on a computer with Windows 95, you probably need a new computer.

If you’re still trying to find 5 Ľ floppies to back up, you probably need a new computer.

Maybe there’s already been a thread like this.
    Most of these are real, just this month.
    I was wondering if anybody else was seeing a lot of this?
    It would be great if you had anything to add………..

Tired techs unite!

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    If you're trying to download a song off Kazaa, while also burning a cd , while installing WeatherBug, SaveNow, NewDotNet, and Clock Sync, while previously having installed Date Manager, Search Bar, and Precision Time, all on an AOL dial up connection, with McAfee version 4.0.3, and Norton running in the background, on a Compaq, with 64 megs of memory, w/Windows 98 First Edition, (not only are you one of many of my customers), but you do not need a new computer!!!! You need an abacus and a set of 8 Crayola Crayons. But, being the guy I am, I will sell you that new computer. And in that overpriced computer, plus a hefty service call, I will attempt to impart some knowledge.

To sumerise then:

If you dont know what "it" is or bought it as a bargain,sale item,end of stock,clearence item,special deal,"good" price,seconhand,from an advertisement,boot sale, "friend",you type "win" to start it or before the last ice age you need a new computer.

If you bring me yer computer for help and, I see that not one original screw is still in it and the case cover is screwed on all wrong overlapping the front panel,and something is clunking inside because YES you said to the son its ok to take the harddrive out for whatever reason. And then I find it and the other harddrive rolling around the inside of the case.Then ya its time for a new computer

Harddrives are sooooooo cool when they CLUNK
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    If you are looking for 30 pin simms to speed up your computer, you're upgrading your 14.4 speed modem, your cd-rom was made by Wearnes, you need a new bus mouse, your hard drive isn't large enough for fat32, your monitor can display 16 different colors ALL at the same time, you are looking for a math coprocessor or Dr. Dos needs to be reinstalled it is probably time for a new computer.

If you have a system that has the word eMachines on it, then it's time for a new computer.
    U.S. out of U.N.

I have been around for quite a while, but I'm glad to see this thread enjoyed a long life. I think I'll resurect it with one I got today, just for old times sake.

Guy comes in today and asks "Do you have an svideo cable to make my printer work on my computer?" (old mac printer--used pc from yard sale)

You probably need.........

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    I went on a call last night, the guy said he needed some upgrades. Turns out, he was still running Windows 95, and IE4, and was having problems accessing a lot of sites - go figure.

I explained to him that his machine was way beyond upgrading anymore, and helped him sit down and order a new little Dell system.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Man talk about adding insult to injury! Poor guy has a pos machine and you "helped" him buy another.......................god I hate dell!
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer
    Man talk about adding insult to injury! Poor guy has a pos machine and you "helped" him buy another.......................god I hate dell!
    I knew somebody would jump all over that and give me some slack about it, actually, that is why I posted it

Before, I wasn't a huge fan of Dell myself, but at my current job we are locked into Dell through state contract, so I work with 100's of them on a daily basis, and have had very little issues with any of them.

That said, this man in 89 years old, and uses his computer to get online to check a few stock prices through Yahoo Finance, read the news on CNN.com and send an occasional email. So for all the more he uses it, the $300 entry level Dell is a deal that can't be beat for his needs. I couldn't come even remotely close to putting him together a system for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    Before, I wasn't a huge fan of Dell myself, but at my current job we are locked into Dell through state contract, so I work with 100's of them on a daily basis, and have had very little issues with any of them.
    Funny, we are in the exact same situation here in Oklahoma, with the same results. The Dells have proven reliable and durable enough for our purposes. As for their usefulness, that's where we the Code Monkeys come in, generating custom applications for Office users. No complaints.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

printers

Actually, the Tandy 105 printer had 8 pins. The head had 9 holes, but only 8 of them were filled.
    Jim

if you can't add parts to your computer
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

Hi there,

- When your computer get louder, it's time for a new computer...

Ju Leon...
    Otaku Anime Network
    http://www.otakuanime.com/

Guardian Of The Sailor Scouts Universe
    http://www.guardiansenshi.net/

The Sailor Scouts Gallery
    http://www.kawaiisenshi.com/