Restricting email names in Outlook 2000

Thread: Restricting email names in Outlook 2000

Restricting email names in Outlook 2000

I have a domain that works as follows:

<anythingyoulike>@domainname.co.uk

The problem is I keep getting spam sent to me becuase of the <anythingyoulike>

I keep adding email addresses to the Junk Senders List but they just keep coming.

I have also tried to set-up a couple of accounts in Outlook and removing the tick from 'Include this account when receiving mail or synchronising' but that does not work either.

My host offers extra mail account forwarding so I could point these particular addresses at an account I won't bother setting up but they charge extra for it.

Is there something else I can do or a software package I could use to stop this?

Any help as usual greatly received.

Quote Originally Posted by ozrica
    I have a domain that works as follows:

<anythingyoulike>@domainname.co.uk

The problem is I keep getting spam sent to me becuase of the <anythingyoulike>

I keep adding email addresses to the Junk Senders List but they just keep coming.

I have also tried to set-up a couple of accounts in Outlook and removing the tick from 'Include this account when receiving mail or synchronising' but that does not work either.

My host offers extra mail account forwarding so I could point these particular addresses at an account I won't bother setting up but they charge extra for it.

Is there something else I can do or a software package I could use to stop this?

Any help as usual greatly received.
    One item you might want to try is setting a "Rule". Go Tools, Rules Wizard, New Rule, Check Messages when they arrive, Next,tick mark the box " With specific words in the subject or body, Next, tick mark the box, Move to specified folder. When you click on the specific words, this allows you to enter the spam words to look for. Click on the specified folder and this allows you to choose Deleted Items folder. In most cases this works rather well. Some it does not catch due to various spellings. Cheers.

Sounds like what you need is spam filtering at the host/isp level. Does yours offer this? If not, spamcop.net offers a mail filtering service at $30/yr. Obviously, at this price its cheaper to find a host/isp that offers the service for free. I believe there are also some software solutions. The junk senders list in outlook is worthless, as it looks at the "from" address, which is almost always spoofed.

Thanks to both of you for the quick response.

My ISP does offer spam/host filtering at extra cost so I'll try the 'Rules' option first.

Thanks once again

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Sounds like what you need is spam filtering at the host/isp level. Does yours offer this? If not, spamcop.net offers a mail filtering service at $30/yr. Obviously, at this price its cheaper to find a host/isp that offers the service for free. I believe there are also some software solutions. The junk senders list in outlook is worthless, as it looks at the "from" address, which is almost always spoofed.
    If you notice, I did not say the junk senders list but referred to the rules wizard. I concur the junk list is useless, however, the rules wizard allows you to scan the subject and body for specific words and has worked well for me. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie
    If you notice, I did not say the junk senders list but referred to the rules wizard. I concur the junk list is useless, however, the rules wizard allows you to scan the subject and body for specific words and has worked well for me. Cheers.
    Sorry, I didn't see your post - ours both hit at the same time. I was actually responding to ozrica's comment about the junk senders list.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Sorry, I didn't see your post - ours both hit at the same time. I was actually responding to ozrica's comment about the junk senders list.
    No Problem, sorry also, just a bad day an all.