Single LCD using DVI converter

Thread: Single LCD using DVI converter

Single LCD using DVI converter

HI!

I have a question regarding using the DVI converter supplied with the video card.

I had a GF4 video card that have both analog and DVI output. I understand that I can use the supplied DVI to D-sub converter to connect a second display through the DVI port. Can I use the same DVI converter to connect to a LCD panel as primary display? Manual does mention this at all.

I have a Samsung 15" LCD that doesnot have the DVI input (made before DVI is common). I am hoping to use DVI converter to connect to the LCD and save a conversion in the process.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

It just tried it and it worked fine on my FX5200, so I expect you should be OK, as long as you are using an OS that understands multiple monitors, ie Win98 onward if you're using Windows.

I just had to reset the screen resolution as that output hadn't been used before.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    .. so I expect you should be OK, as long as you are using an OS that understands multiple monitors...
    Yup! ... it works like when you just want to use a TV only instead of a monitor, be aware though you will need a monitor to set it up initially (pressumably you have one !) but if you change anything later you might need another directly connecting monitor, at least to hand, to re-setup

Err for myself I'd just use both ! maybe you haven't got space ?

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    you will need a monitor to set it up initially (pressumably you have one !) but if you change anything later you might need another directly connecting monitor, at least to hand, to re-setup
    Do you mean use a monitor with a DVI input to set it up? I didn't have to do that, my LCD only has analog in, I just plugged it straight into the DVI adaptor & away it went. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    Do you mean use a monitor with a DVI input to set it up? I didn't have to do that, my LCD only has analog in, I just plugged it straight into the DVI adaptor & away it went. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
    Somebody or something is definately confus-ed, usually its me !

So I read the question again ... slowly

So what connector does this " Samsung 15" LCD that doesnot have the DVI input (made before DVI is common)" actually have ? I keep deciding its already got a standard vga connector ... so why are we plugging it into a converter ? Why don't we just plug it where it fits ?

Oh man I just confus-ed myself & probaly everyone else too ! ...

I don't know (ha ha ) the reason for the request to do it this way rather than just using the analog VGA connector, but checked to see if it worked OK anyway...

Idontknow does say "and save a conversion in the process" so maybe looking for better image quality? If this is so, it's still just analog... nothing is "saved".

Idontknow, if the adaptor was supplied with the card, your DVI out is DVI-I, it carries both digital and analog signals. The adaptor just feeds the pin connections to the analog output signals.

http://www.networktechinc.com/dvi.html
    Last edited by Platypus; January 30th, 2004 at 08:44 AM.

Hi Platypus and Confus-ed,

Thanks for the replies.

The LCD monitor has an analog input only. I understand that the video signal originated from the computer as digital signal then was converter to analog for CRT monitors. Since LCD is digital, the analog signal is then re-converted back to digital for LCD's. This double conversion usually resulted in a slight decrease in image quality. I thought DVI out from the video card would provide the digital signal for the LCD and therefore would have resulted in one less conversion process. Based on the information you gave me, it doesn't look like its that beneficial. But I will try it later to see.

Thanks!

Well ta ... 'why' always helps ... It minimises confus-ed-ness ... but I figure Platypus managed a good explanation because of me or should that be despite me ?