Internet Explorer pop up windows Wont Work....

Thread: Internet Explorer pop up windows Wont Work....

Hybrid View

Internet Explorer pop up windows Wont Work....

OK, I know that sounds like an odd request but its annoying.

All of a sudden, without me installing a pop-up blocker or anything of the sort... pop-ups wont work... whether they are advertisements or ones that I click for. Now the IE window will open up but it wont load the page.

Any ideas?
    If its not broke, then upgrade anyways!

Who ever said computers were logical?

Quote Originally Posted by davepoet
    OK, I know that sounds like an odd request but its annoying.

All of a sudden, without me installing a pop-up blocker or anything of the sort... pop-ups wont work... whether they are advertisements or ones that I click for. Now the IE window will open up but it wont load the page.

Any ideas?
    OK you didn't install a pop-up blocker....what have you installed?
    Do you mean nothing appears...just an empty shell?
    What have you done with security settings?

Google search bar maybe?
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

No, I literally did Nothing.

I did not install any new programs, new hardware... nada.

The new IE window will pop open but it will be an empty shell. Now if I hit stop, and then refresh, the page then comes up. But like for instance, Windows Update, I will go through the scan fine. I hit install, the little progress download/install box opens, and then it just stays there.

Havent touched the security settings at all. I even reset all settings just to be sure (using the reset to original settings features).

Scanned for viruses and spyware and machine is clean. Dual Firewall running.

Its very weird.

And of course, I cannot uninstall IE with Win XP. So I cannot install IE fresh because it says that there is already a newer version on my computer so it cannot continue setup.

ARGH!
    If its not broke, then upgrade anyways!

Who ever said computers were logical?

Quote Originally Posted by davepoet
    No, I literally did Nothing.

I did not install any new programs, new hardware... nada.

The new IE window will pop open but it will be an empty shell. Now if I hit stop, and then refresh, the page then comes up. But like for instance, Windows Update, I will go through the scan fine. I hit install, the little progress download/install box opens, and then it just stays there.

Havent touched the security settings at all. I even reset all settings just to be sure (using the reset to original settings features).

Scanned for viruses and spyware and machine is clean. Dual Firewall running.

Its very weird.

And of course, I cannot uninstall IE with Win XP. So I cannot install IE fresh because it says that there is already a newer version on my computer so it cannot continue setup.

ARGH!
    Give this a try: it is a "repair" "upgrade" workaround for IE 6 on XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

This is it, but mskb is broke right now

So here is one google cached earlier

You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens After You Click a Link
    View products that this article applies to.
    This article was previously published under Q281679
    SYMPTOMS
    When you click a hyperlink in an e-mail message or on a Web page, or right-click a hyperlink on a Web page and then click Open in New Window, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
    Nothing happens.
    The new window may be blank.
    You may receive a scripting error message.
    When you use the Print command or the Print Preview command in Internet Explorer, nothing may happen.

When you try to connect to Web folders, you may receive the following error message:

The current operation could not be completed because an unexpected error has occurred.
    CAUSE
    This behavior may occur for any of the following reasons:
    The (Default) value setting in one or more of the following registry keys points to an incorrect location for the Urlmon.dll file:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9e0-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9f1-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9f2-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

This may occur if you install a customized version of Internet Explorer that was created with the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) version 5.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1), 5.5 SP1, or 6.0.
    The following registry key is missing or damaged:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

One or more of the following files is missing, damaged, or improperly registered:
    Url.dll
    Mshtml.dll
    Actxprxy.dll
    Oleaut32.dll
    Shell32.dll
    Shdocvw.dll
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
    Quit all programs that are running.
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
    When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
    If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):
    Shdocvw.dll
    Msjava.dll
    Actxprxy.dll
    Oleaut32.dll
    Mshtml.dll
    Browseui.dll
    Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)
    If the problem is still not resolved, verify that the following registry values are present and correct:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
    Name: (Default)
    Value: IDispatch
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid
    Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32
    Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

If the problem is still not resolved, reinstall Internet Explorer. If you are using the version of Internet Explorer that is included with your operating system, reinstall or repair your operating system.

Internet Explorer Administration Kit Users
    If this problem occurs after you install a customized version of Internet Explorer that was created with the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) version 5.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1), 5.5 SP1, or 6.0 and is resolved by re-registering the Urlmon.dll file, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the appropriate fix below.
    IEAK for Internet Explorer 6
    A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;CNTACTMS

NOTE: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
    Date Time Version Size File name
    ------------------------------------------------------
    11-Oct-2001 19:45 6.0.2710.1100 189,440 Ie6wzd.exe

Note This hotfix is not distributed by using a hotfix installer package but is an actual binary hotfix that you must manually replace. To do this, rename the old Ie6wzd.exe file in your IEAK installation folder\Iebin\Optional\EN folder, manually copy the hotfix into that folder, and then rebuild your IEAK package to have the hotfix included inside your package.

Important If Automatic Version Synchronization (AVS) is applied to your IEAK installation after you use this fix, you must manually apply this hotfix again.

IEAK for Internet Explorer 5.5
    A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

NOTE: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    18-Dec-2000 17:22 5.50.4612.1800 183,056 Ie5wzd.exe

Note This hotfix is not distributed by using a hotfix installer package, but is an actual binary hotfix that you must manually replace. To do this, rename the old Ie5wzd.exe file in your IEAK installation folder\Iebin\Optional\EN folder, manually copy the hotfix into that folder, and then rebuild your IEAK package to have the hotfix included inside your package.

Important If Automatic Version Synchronization (AVS) is applied to your IEAK installation after you use this fix, you must manually apply this hotfix again.

IEAK for Internet Explorer 5.01

---------------------------------------------------------
    01-Nov-2000 11:01a 5.0.3210.3100 177,424 Ie5wzd.exe

Note This hotfix is not distributed by using a hotfix installer package, but is an actual binary hotfix that you must manually replace. To do this, rename the old Ie5wzd.exe file in your IEAK installation folder\Iebin\Optional\EN folder, manually copy the hotfix into that folder, and then rebuild your IEAK package to have the hotfix included inside your package.

The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows XP
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 2000
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows NT 4.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows Millennium Edition
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 98
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 2000
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows NT 4.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows Millennium Edition
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 98
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 95
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 2000
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows NT 4.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 98
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 95
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows NT 4.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows 98
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows 95
    Last Reviewed: 11/26/2003 (4.0)
    Keywords: kbbug kbenv kbfix kbIE550preSP2fix kbIE600preSP1fix kbIE600sp1fix KB281679
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Check your cache. Tools>Internet Options>Temporary Internet Files>Settings .
    The default is 10% of your hard drive. While your there, clear your cache and see if that helps performance.