Two DSL Modems At Home

Thread: Two DSL Modems At Home

Post Two DSL Modems At Home

Here is the situation: I have one dsl line at my house. The way I understand it is that I should be able to connect my dsl modem to any phone jack throughout my house. My wife wants to connect her laptop to the dsl as well. I do not have the ability to run network cable & hook up jacks throughout the house & am looking for the quickest solution. I have two dsl modems, one is usb and the other has an ethernet port. I am wondering if I can not hook up both modems (the usb is already hooked up), and hook the usb to my laptop in one room, and then take my wifes laptop to the other part of the house and connect the other usb modem to the phone jack there, and then connect my wifes laptop to the ethernet jack on the 2nd dsl modem. Will this work???

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mbaldridge:
    <strong>Here is the situation: I have one dsl line at my house. The way I understand it is that I should be able to connect my dsl modem to any phone jack throughout my house. My wife wants to connect her laptop to the dsl as well. I do not have the ability to run network cable & hook up jacks throughout the house & am looking for the quickest solution. I have two dsl modems, one is usb and the other has an ethernet port. I am wondering if I can not hook up both modems (the usb is already hooked up), and hook the usb to my laptop in one room, and then take my wifes laptop to the other part of the house and connect the other usb modem to the phone jack there, and then connect my wifes laptop to the ethernet jack on the 2nd dsl modem. Will this work???</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am not sure exactly how DSL works, never used it before or know anyone who does, (just cable around here)

If you have to dial up to make a connection this will not work (as far as I know)

If there is no need to dial i can't see why this wouldn't work.

Heck just go try it!

P.S.

You might want to wait for expert advice
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

That's an interesting premise.

I'd be curious to try the same thing (I have ADSL at home), but the technical aspect of it eludes me too.

I can guess there will be some adaptation to be made in regards to the way the connection is initiated to the ISP, but I can't see how yet as that is still a mystery to me (OK, I was just too lazy to care about it ).
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

It depends on your service provider.

For example.. I could do it(see below for exception). My service provider allows my username/password to access up to 3 IP address. HOW i access those should not matter. Now the only complication i could see is that the signals from one modem conflict with the other modem (kinda like dialup). If i where you, I'd call your ISP and ask them. They will be the best qualified to answer that.

I know that multiple cable modems can share a media, DSL, i've never actualy tried.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I don't how DSL is working exactly (I think it's running two downstream and one upstream frequency) but, I know this for sure, you can't run the same frequency over the same line in multiple instances. In order to accomplish something like that you need to do time or frequency division multiplexing.

Frequency division means that you have one signal running at 100hz, one at 1000hz and one at 10000hz. You may also have guardband frequencies running between those (at 500hz, 5000hz) for example. Time division muxing means that you put a concenetrator or MUX on both ends of the line and you turn both bitstreams into one. A T1 is just a 24 channel circuit.

Or, you run another line into your house. Is it worth the cost compared to running some cable or a wireless hub and NICs?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

You can only have one connection at a time. In fact, while DSL is connected, you can't even dialup with a 56K connection through that line. Instead, you need to share that connection with a router and a switch. Tis the only way my friend.
    Hello World

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by WebHawg:
    <strong>You can only have one connection at a time. In fact, while DSL is connected, you can't even dialup with a 56K connection through that line. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">DSL connected, i can't dial out with a voice modem? Are you sure? I know i've DONE it. I was redoing the OS on the girlfriends computer the other day and needed to update some software, so i used dial up(no nic) i even got the full 56k...
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

If I hadn't sold my USR 56K external I'd try it out - but it left my house the day after I got DSL
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by a d e p t:
    <strong>If I hadn't sold my USR 56K external I'd try it out - but it left my house the day after I got DSL </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">my computer does not have a modem either.. but i have a nice hardware based PCI 56k USR modem siting on my desk...
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Matridom:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by WebHawg:
    <strong>You can only have one connection at a time. In fact, while DSL is connected, you can't even dialup with a 56K connection through that line. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">DSL connected, i can't dial out with a voice modem? Are you sure? I know i've DONE it. I was redoing the OS on the girlfriends computer the other day and needed to update some software, so i used dial up(no nic) i even got the full 56k...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok,.. It probably can be done, but good luck having any DSL connectivity while your dialed up on 56k. And I've tried that too, but then you also get real low connection speeds on 56k while dialing up during DSL connectivity. Or something.
    Hello World

Why not go wireless? Doesn't cost much any more. Linksys WAP and the attending cards can be had for around $300.00 USD.

I've played with this setup and have had very good luck with it.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!