BootSplash

Thread: BootSplash

BootSplash

Has anyone used or got this to work?

http://www.bootsplash.org/

ive been trying to get it to work in slackware 9.1 with no luck I just get it to boot @ 1024x768 with no image, using lilo

here is the image I want to use

http://daemonprojects.com/karmador_boot.jpg

How is your frame buffer configured on bootup; did you patch the kernel source and then compile and boot the new kernel? I'm guessing from what you said that you have a line similer to "vga = 791" in lilo.conf to set the framebuffer and resolution, correct?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html
    This is really dated (vga mode numbers have been changed, this is based on kernel 2.1.x and 2.2.x) but has the basics of what is needed to get the framebuffer up and running at boot time.

I havn't yet gotten it to work either, but I just installed it on gentoo and havn't had time to mess with the kernel parts. For me, the spalsh screen shows up at the end of the init.d script, which was all I've installed it for so far.

Last minute note: framebuffer is required to start X, and from the pictures I've seen of karmador you have that working. But to get the bootsplash working, it should not be compiled as a module. The module won't get modpluged until one of the runlevel scripts activates it, and for bootsplash you want it running while those are being parsed. So it needs to be built directly into the kernel, not modulerized.

Quote Originally Posted by noone
    How is your frame buffer configured on bootup; did you patch the kernel source and then compile and boot the new kernel? I'm guessing from what you said that you have a line similer to "vga = 791" in lilo.conf to set the framebuffer and resolution, correct?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html
    This is really dated (vga mode numbers have been changed, this is based on kernel 2.1.x and 2.2.x) but has the basics of what is needed to get the framebuffer up and running at boot time.

I havn't yet gotten it to work either, but I just installed it on gentoo and havn't had time to mess with the kernel parts. For me, the spalsh screen shows up at the end of the init.d script, which was all I've installed it for so far.

Last minute note: framebuffer is required to start X, and from the pictures I've seen of karmador you have that working. But to get the bootsplash working, it should not be compiled as a module. The module won't get modpluged until one of the runlevel scripts activates it, and for bootsplash you want it running while those are being parsed. So it needs to be built directly into the kernel, not modulerized.
    ya I have the frame buffer in the kernel not a module, and in lilo.conf I have the vga string. I think it maybe my init scripts...could you post yours.. or just the snipplet of what you did and were?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by +Daemon+
    ya I have the frame buffer in the kernel not a module, and in lilo.conf I have the vga string. I think it maybe my init scripts...could you post yours.. or just the snipplet of what you did and were?

thanks
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.p...cfb752a51e22f4
    This is the guide I found for applying bootsplash to gentoo, my current disto. Emerge is just a download and rpm/tar-gzip-make tool rolled into one script/program. The important part is
    Code:
    /sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1280x1024.cfg > /boot/initrd-1280x1024
    This line should set the splash image in a place the initial kernel can get to it. On gentoo, /boot is usually a small partition that keeps the kernel out of harms way, is mounted before root and then unmounted once the system is started. After this, append
    Code:
     initrd = /boot/initrd-1280x1024
    and possibly something like
    Code:
    append="hdc=ide-scsi video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr"
    to set the video mode in your lilo.conf
    (this is just copied from the guide linked above.)

This is at least the guide I was following. But I got distracted with certain make.conf flags and am attempting to get kde to boot faster. When the compile of that finishes, I'll post my /etc/init.d/ and /etc/runlevels/boot/ scripts that seem to refer to bootsplash. Gentoo has a strange implementation of run levels, being boot, default, nonetwork, and single. I'm fairly certain that these are the same as the init levels, but I won't swear to it.

Quote Originally Posted by noone
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.p...cfb752a51e22f4
    This is the guide I found for applying bootsplash to gentoo, my current disto. Emerge is just a download and rpm/tar-gzip-make tool rolled into one script/program. The important part is
    Code:
    /sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1280x1024.cfg > /boot/initrd-1280x1024
    This line should set the splash image in a place the initial kernel can get to it. On gentoo, /boot is usually a small partition that keeps the kernel out of harms way, is mounted before root and then unmounted once the system is started. After this, append
    Code:
     initrd = /boot/initrd-1280x1024
    and possibly something like
    Code:
    append="hdc=ide-scsi video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr"
    to set the video mode in your lilo.conf
    (this is just copied from the guide linked above.)

This is at least the guide I was following. But I got distracted with certain make.conf flags and am attempting to get kde to boot faster. When the compile of that finishes, I'll post my /etc/init.d/ and /etc/runlevels/boot/ scripts that seem to refer to bootsplash. Gentoo has a strange implementation of run levels, being boot, default, nonetwork, and single. I'm fairly certain that these are the same as the init levels, but I won't swear to it.
    ahh sweet makes sense, gentoo is like slackware, nice distro. Ill have to get some time and try this...

Hey thanks

ok here at work I installed slackware 9.1 on vmware got the latest 2.6 kernel patched it with the bootsplash patch. Compiled it (with the framebuffers etc..) copied the kernel to /boot I then compiled splash and put into /sbin I downloaded the default linux theme instaleld that to /etc/bootsplash I made the initrd and put it into my /boot directory. I edited lilo.conf and put in everything I need. Installed lilo to mbr. I rebooted. When I selected the 2.6 kernel fromt he lilo menu It booted and i got the splash screen w00t and also the slient splash screen which was really cool. Now I wanted to add my own pics, I tried making my own theme thinking I did everyhting right, Created the foleder, recreated the cfg file etc... remade my initrd file redid lilo and then rebooted. Didnt work...ummm I didnt do much with it last night. Just wonder what could have gone wrong

Assuming that you linked bootsplash/personal to bootsplash/default, there should be no need to change the lilo stuff.

You still will need to
    Code:
    /sbin/splash -s -f /path/to/cfg/file > /boot/initrd
    and change /etc/conf.d/bootsplash.conf to the new image information.

Good luck

well I got it so that when I boot slackware my background watermark shows up. One step further, I guess the images have to be 19k or smaller to run.

heres the progress

ok I got it working w00t, now to get the progress bar to work

Well I made a little howto, nothing special but it might help somone else

http://daemonprojects.com/bootsplash...re_Linux_9.pdf

looks great, your guide condensed everything I think. Might make some linux fans on this board yet!