Ximian on SuSE 9.0 PRO?

Thread: Ximian on SuSE 9.0 PRO?

Question Ximian on SuSE 9.0 PRO?

Has anyone here managed to successfully install/implement the Ximian desktop environment on SuSE 9? If so, "How'd ya do it???!!!"

Thanks, in advance!

-mike

Well just because you posted I had to go try it out. It basically is just a custom install of gnome. Nothing fancy. I personally like kde better than gnome and now that I look at it the installer removed my global OpenOffice install and installed it's customized version which seems can only be accessed from ximian desktop. Anyways the install is pretty straight forward. I logged out of kde and logged in to gnome and opened a terminal window and put in:

wget -q -O - http://go.ximian.com |sh

This will fire up the installer. Select a mirror instead of the RedCarpet dealy (unless you have an account). Select what you want installed and let it do it's thing. It gave me grief with one of the packages but I had to uninstall some packages to allow cups to install. After I did this it installed in like 15 minutes. When it finished it asked me if I wanted to use the gnome login manager and I said no (cause I like kde remember ). It will then restart x and let you login. If you select to NOT use the gnome login manager you have to login to kde and then open up the kde control center and clik on System Administration. Select Login manager and then clik on the Session tab. Clik on Administrator mode (if you are not logged in as root) icon and input your admin pw. Then under New Type put in gnome-session and clik on Add. Clik apply and then logout of kde and login to gnome-session. Should be able to figure it out from there. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

aye, what he said

@#$Q!!#@!!!! Durn it!!! I'd only install this if you plan on using it all the time. It messed with my kde settings and made a few subtle changes that are really annoying. Anywas just my 0.02
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

Thanks for the input, guys (sorry that this whole thing ended up pooching your KDS settings, Gollo)

I still can't get this blasted thing to install, despite being logged on as root. Error vary, but end result is still the same. I'd heard such promising things about Ximian, but I'm beginning to get the impression that it simply is not worth the trouble (at least not with this rev.)

-mike

Quote Originally Posted by NEPATEC
    Thanks for the input, guys (sorry that this whole thing ended up pooching your KDS settings, Gollo)

I still can't get this blasted thing to install, despite being logged on as root. Error vary, but end result is still the same. I'd heard such promising things about Ximian, but I'm beginning to get the impression that it simply is not worth the trouble (at least not with this rev.)

-mike
    What's the error that it's throwing?

(also it's KDE )