Giving Linux a try.

View Poll Results: Giving Linux a try.

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • How many actually use linux?

8 47.06%
  • How many have tried and given up?

3 17.65%
  • How many like me have the cd's in their desk?

5 29.41%
  • How many think learning a new os is like learning French?

1 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Giving Linux a try.

Giving Linux a try.

Be honest. If you look at the price and options Linux certainly exceeds Windows. Many flavors, but are we just too stuck on Windows to learn something new.
    Last edited by eboyjones; January 31st, 2004 at 09:10 AM.
    "Everybody needs a little help sometimes"

The only reason I've set aside my using Linux is just a financial one - ie: I can't spare the hardware to run a dedicated Licux PC (and I need to have Windows for professional reasons).

I'm currently toying with WarLinux and Knoppix, bith of which are off boot CDs.

Hopefully I'll be able get some more disks so I can at least have a decent Mandrake/FreeBSD partition in there.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I run RedHat - Fedora 1 on a little box as a server. Great program. My PC is fast enough (1ghz w/512megsRAM) that the X sessions are very quick. I run apache, sendmail, ssh, quake3 (urban terror), samba (for windows file sharing), and so much more.
    It's really a solid OS - and I'm glad I picked it up a few years ago, as open source seems to be coming on hard - i.e. Novell buying SUSE linux, Apple and their X server...etc...
    Worth spending the time on.
    Do you smell something burning?....

Here's my story. I was home from work with a temperature of 102. I got bored and decided to try installing linux on one of my computer. Well in order to get the HD to work I needed a promise controller. In order to install linux on the hard drive I needed a linux driver for my promise card. Needless to say I crawled back into bed and passed out at this point. I just haven't tried again because of laziness.

I would really like to try Linux, I don't like being a slave to the 'Evil Empire.' I also want Bill Gates to have some competition. Sometimes I feel like we are sheep following our master because everyone else does.

But some things scare me:

1) I hear most of the games I have won't work with Linux
    2) I hear printers are really hard to install on Linux
    3) Linux won't run Windows Cd's (that my friends give me)
    Last edited by Orangeman; February 3rd, 2004 at 05:48 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman
    I would really like to try Linux, I don't like being a slave to the 'Evil Empire.' I also want Bill Gates to have some competition. Sometimes I feel like we are sheep following our master because everyone else does.

But some things scare me:

1) I hear most of the games I have won't work with Linux
    2) I hear printers are really hard to install on Linux
    3) Linux won't run Windows Cd's (that my friends give me)
    It's great to try on a second machine. I've gotten most games to work in linux with linux versions or by using 'wine' (lets you run windows apps on linux). Printing isn't hard at all - actually found it relatively easy to setup network printing. It does run Windows CD's - at least you can access them. If you need to run something, then 'wine' would take over. I'm not a pro at it, but I've been really lucky with learning how to do things with it.
    Do you smell something burning?....

I dual boot Win2k and Slackware 9.1 at the moment, although I haven;t booted into Windows for about 3 weeks now. The only time I do witch to Windows is for games. I know I can get games working in Linux, I just haven't had much chance yet.

I like this learning a new OS thing, its not as bad as French, but then I'm not being forced to do it, unlike at school (eh, Msr & Mme Lafayette with your petit chien that has been burnt into my memory. B4st4rd French Teachers)
    Bollocks

I run slackware... might get another machine and run openbsd again

I run Suse 9.0 on my lappie, Redhat 9 on the server (soon to change to SME cause it has everything I need built in) and Freesco for my router/gateway (also will be replaced by the SME all in one package).
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I have the three Mandrake 9.0 CDs sitting on my desk waiting until I get an extra monitor and the space to set up a second machine for running Linux.
    When all else fails.....FDISK!

in the past i have run Red Hat 9, Lycoris, Lindows, and Knoppix. i just built a new machine and only have xp on it right now..but maybe i will give linux another try one of these days. (thinking maybe debian)
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Linux has it's uses, mainly as servers.

Though I have to admit, now I have a Mac-based server, I'm wonderring what the point is in Linix anymore.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    I run Suse 9.0 on my lappie, Redhat 9 on the server (soon to change to SME cause it has everything I need built in) and Freesco for my router/gateway (also will be replaced by the SME all in one package).
    the SME package is nice. I have it running a small workgroup of computers at a local business. it samba file shares, hosts their intranet pages and communication board, handles interoffice email via webmail, routes internet traffic, and even forces users to authenticate to the proxy before they can gain access (though this took an additional rpm package reccomended on the SME forums)

since it's been setup I haven't gotten 1 call that they've had trouble with the network.

and it's all running on a 233mhz pentium with 128MB EDO RAM.. . . . . how's that for cool!
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

I have been giving Linux a try but I still can't drop Microsoft. I have to dual boot so I can have access to both when I need it. I never could get a DVD to play in Linux and had a bugger of a time getting my modem installed.

I tried Mandrake because I heard that was the easiest one for Newbies...

Anytime I try and do anything it takes me soooooo loong to do the simpliest things...

Anyway, I believe Linux is comming on strong but it will still be awhile before I can say goodbye to Microsoft.... Oh I yearn for that day to come!!

Well that's my two pennies worth......

Run windows xp on my desktop, and win2k duel booting with gentoo on my laptop. The only reason windows is there is because certain games just don't like being run in an emulator. DVD works fine in linux, and it reads CDs burned from windows, even with the joliet layer data. Modems are a bit difficult since so many are driver driven and the companies won't make a linux driver or specifications needed to make a driver.