Computer wont stay on.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Computer wont stay on.

Registered User BlueShadowDemon's Avatar

Computer wont stay on.

Well, here recently my computer has been randomly rebooting for some reason. I tried changing everything out to see maybe it was a hardware issue it still did it. Well yesterday it rebooted and I got a long beep, and then it shut off. Well, I waited a while and tried it again. I still got the same thing. I changed out pretty much everything memory, cpu, ps, nics. still does it. Do you think it might be a motherboard isssue? I have the ECS K7VZA rev 3.0. The funny thing is that my computer never rebooted until I put the XP 1700 in it, but I tried switching the old duron in, and it still wouldnt come on. What do ya think the deal is?
    AMD athlon XP 1700, 320 MB Ram, 40 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128mb RAM ... awaiting upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by BlueShadowDemon
    Well, here recently my computer has been randomly rebooting for some reason. I tried changing everything out to see maybe it was a hardware issue it still did it. Well yesterday it rebooted and I got a long beep, and then it shut off. Well, I waited a while and tried it again. I still got the same thing. I changed out pretty much everything memory, cpu, ps, nics. still does it. Do you think it might be a motherboard isssue? I have the ECS K7VZA rev 3.0. The funny thing is that my computer never rebooted until I put the XP 1700 in it, but I tried switching the old duron in, and it still wouldnt come on. What do ya think the deal is?
    Describe the "beep".
    One, or three?
    How long?
    Have you tried booting with everything out except the video card?
    If not, do that.
    In fact. disconnect EVERYthing and boot with just RAM and video.
    Then tell us what happens.
    Exchanging CPU's may just be a coincidence.
    BTW:
    Is the HSF on properly?
    Try reseating the heat sink/fan while you t'shoot!

It's just one long beep that lasts 3 or 4 seconds then the computer completely shuts off. I have reseated the HSF several times but still no go. I tried booting with nothing except ram and video, but it still does the same thing.
    AMD athlon XP 1700, 320 MB Ram, 40 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128mb RAM ... awaiting upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by BlueShadowDemon
    It's just one long beep that lasts 3 or 4 seconds then the computer completely shuts off. I have reseated the HSF several times but still no go. I tried booting with nothing except ram and video, but it still does the same thing.
    One long beep relates to memory...usually ram, but there is, of course, different kinds of memory on the mainboard and incorporated in the CPU.
    So, we do have the problem isolated...sort of speak, now we have to figure out where: exactly, is the memory fault.
    Motherboard or ram?
    Check in to WinDrivers chat and they will help you out in real time.
    Alright?
    And, good luck!!!

What's with all the 'chat is soooooooooooo good' stuff all of a sudden TripleR ?

Here since it all ran ok before you changed your cpu, & you already tried just ram, video & HD ... Do we have anyway to test the cpu & main board seperately ?... its one or the other (assuming we can plug it all in right & set jumpers correctly), if you say its dead with your old duron, then the mb looks to be the culprit...

Dumb idea, have you reset the cmos? you've probably done this 5 times already but just a thought. I would lean toward a bad mobo.
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

Yes, I plugged in alright and set the jumpers correctly. I tried to reset the CMOS by changing the jumper, but I have a question as how does that work. Do I just leave the jumper like that for a few seconds or what?

Your board has an Award BIOS, so the tone you get normally indicates bad or mis-seated RAM. Be sure the connectors on the modules are clean. Contact cleaner or a typewriter eraser works well. Next, try booting with a single module installed, and if that doesn't work try a different module. I think your board isn't picky about the slot you put a single module in (but you might want to check your documentation instead of trusting my memory), so if none of the modules work in, say, slot 1, try a different slot.

However, since you had the problem before the hardware changes, I would be sure to test the...( yeah, you all know what I'm gonna say) power supply. If it's good, I'd have to say your mainboard isn't.

Hi again! To clear the BIOS, you need to unplug the computer from the wall, set the appropriate jumper to the clear CMOS position for 5 seconds, replace it in the run position, then plug the machine in and reboot.

Hey guys, I cleared the CMOS still no go. I've tried reseating the RAM, and I have switched the Power Supply. I am guessing the motherboard is shot. If it is, what motherboards out there now are best bang for the buck? I was looking at the MSI Delta something or another and it seemed nice. Also the EPOX 8RDA3? . Any input on these?

my guess is the cpu is shot and took mb with it
    paper weights

Shep

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Hi again! To clear the BIOS, you need to unplug the computer from the wall, set the appropriate jumper to the clear CMOS position for 5 seconds, replace it in the run position, then plug the machine in and reboot.
    Errr ... it won't do much resetting if you don't apply power at some point while the jumper is shorted !

What you do is power down & turn the machine off via the switch &/or pull the plug, place the appropriate 'clear cmos' jumper, then re-apply power whilst the jumper is in the 'shorted' position for about 3 seconds or so, then turn off (as before switch or pull plug), replace jumper in 'open' position, restart normally

Alternatively if there is no jumper (there isn't always) or you are uncertain about which, then pull the cmos battery & leave the unit off & unplugged for a few hours (probably overnight) for the potential charge in the m/b to decay ...

After either of these procedures its absolutely normal to see some sort of 'error' reporting that cmos has been reset/restored to default values, or some such similar !

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    it won't do much resetting if you don't apply power at some point while the jumper is shorted
    Interesting, I've never known of any need to do this, in fact some statements warn that some motherboards can be damaged if power is applied with the reset jumper shorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    Interesting, I've never known of any need to do this, in fact some statements warn that some motherboards can be damaged if power is applied with the reset jumper shorted.
    Eh ? its an eeprom .. that needs power to 'clear' it - Lookee ! Intel agree with me ! (first google !)

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    Perhaps different chipsets behave differently in regards to being reset.

My own nForce2 (Asus A7N8X-DX) requires the following process:
    1. Power down PC and remove power cord
    2. Remove button cell battery
    3. Move reset jumper momentarily
    4. Move reset jumper back
    5. Replace button cell battery
    6. Plug power cord back in and power up PC
    It could be that the KT133A chipset that the ECS board uses needs a similar process to be reset properly.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams