the old NTFS question...

Thread: the old NTFS question...

Red face the old NTFS question...

Hello.
    Firstly I would like to apologise for asking another NTFS question.
    In my computer I have a 40gb FAT32 drive running Winxp (upgrade) and an 8gb FAT32 drive on which i backup My Documents (which is on the main drive.)
    I would like to convert my 8gb drive to NTFS.
    According to Microsoft, "The conversion to NTFS is one–way only; if you convert your FAT or FAT32 file system to NTFS you can’t convert your hard disk back to FAT later."
    However, I don't mind not converting, since my data is already there. So could I format to NTFS and revert back to FAT32 later by formatting again if I wanted?
    Also, can anybody think of any reasons why I shouldn't be doing this in the first place or should I go for it?

P.S. I have no desire to convert my 40gb drive to NTFS, as I only have the XP upgrade so would have to format and install WinME and then upgrade to XP.

Thanks in advance (for your tolerance )
    As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.

============
    Bluff

when you format, you can reinstall anything. Converting is different.

you convert by keeping the data and partition intack and getting a new file system. MS says that you can't covert back, it is true. once in NTFS, you would have to delete the partion and recreate the partition as a fat32 drive.

I personaly would not convert either way. Back up the data to the main drive and make a clean format to the file system you want.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Bluff
    P.S. I have no desire to convert my 40gb drive to NTFS, as I only have the XP upgrade so would have to format and install WinME and then upgrade to XP.
    Not so. You can do a clean install with the XP upgrade disk. You just just need to have the ME install disk available when XP asks for it.

Matridom:
    i was thinking of formatting rather than converting. also, just to make it clearer, the two drives are physically seperate, the 8gb is not a partition on the 40gb.

hudsonsmith:
    i didnt know that. what if it's a winMe recovery cd?

so basically, i can format back and forth between NTFS and FAT32 to my fickle heart's content, but i can't convert between them?

but thanks for your quick replies so far

============
    Bluff

Matridom:
    i was thinking of formatting rather than converting. also, just to make it clearer, the two drives are physically seperate, the 8gb is not a partition on the 40gb.

hudsonsmith:

so basically, i can format back and forth between NTFS and FAT32 to my fickle heart's content, but i can't convert between them?

but thanks for your quick replies so far
    drives, partitions, for file systems, almost the same thing.. and yes, you can format to your hearts content to anything, you could format to fat16, then to ntfs, then on to linux and on and on and on.

Personaly, all my drives with the exception of my removable drive are all ntfs (the removable drive needs to be accessible by more then one os, hence it's fat32)
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Yes & no ... you could use something like partition magic to change it back, if you were so minded

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Yes & no ... you could use something like partition magic to change it back, if you were so minded

Last person we saw who tried that was in chat cause he wanted to recover his data that got lost.................
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

hudsonsmith:
    That's a bit iffy. If XP can't recognize a valid copy of ME, it may not work. You might want to check the PC manufacturer's web site and see if they have anything to say about the topic.

ok. thanks guys.
    all help much appreciated.
    think i'll be formatting it soon.

thanks again.

============
    Bluff

Angry

hmmmm...
    says it cannot format disk: try closing all disk utilities etc. and try again. I have done so, and closed my anti-virus, but it still will not do it.
    also, i have tried to boot in safe mode but it takes ages and then when i get there i cannot move the mouse or use the keyboard.

any suggestions?

============
    Bluff

I suspect for one thing a ME restore disk from the manufacturer is in no way a recognizable disk that a XP upgrade disk could use.
    Also where are you trying ot format from when your getting the error Close all disk utilities
    Did you boot from the XP cd?
    Are you booting on a 98 seyup disk?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

um..im trying to format from My Computer.

on second thought, maybe that isnt a smart move, but seeing as it has no files that should be in use then.... ?

============
    Bluff

on second thought, maybe that isnt a smart move, but seeing as it has no files that should be in use then.... ?
    No no no. you should be using your XP cd to boot from for the formating. Have you ever instlled XP before? If not we can give you the details, but it will walk you through every step op the way. Since it is an upgrade, you will need your ME cd to show you are eligible for the upgrade.

If your running windows XP, you have to right click the my computer icon and choose "manage" you will then see a drive manager. That is where you need to do your formating.

If your running windows Me, you have to start to a dos prompt and do it there (And you will unable to format to NTFS)
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans