drive letter issues...

Thread: drive letter issues...

drive letter issues...

well, i am not sure what happened..but i just set up a PC. it has 3 hard drives. two of which were not partitioned, and a third which was formatted and contained alot of data. i had the two empty drives set up as primary master and primary slave. the data drive was secondary master. i installed windows 2000, seleced one of the empty drives, partitioned and formatted it and installed windows to it. but when windows booted, i found that it was installed on drive e:. adn that my data drive was drive c:. I am assuming this happened because when i started windows setup, it was already formatted so it took the first letter.

my question is this..is it possible to change the drive letter of the windows partition without screwing it up? I guess it isnt really hurting anything to have it something differnt than C:..but it is just weird and i'd like to change it.

if so, how would be the best way to go about it? i have another drive that is empty and i could ghost it to that drive also..but i figured there had to be more to it than just ghosting it to another drive and changing that drive letter to c.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

"Everybody needs a little help sometimes"

Quote Originally Posted by eboyjones

thats not exactly what i need. I know how to change the letters on drives, but there are two small problems.

1. disk manager wont allow you to change the letter on the boot partition

2. I am pretty sure there is a way to do it through a registry edit..but i am afraid that once i change it, windows will no longer function correctly.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

I think a program like partition magic will do drive letter changes...but definatly watch where the boot one ends up...I boot from a raid array, and I have a couple of drives in the open IDE ports as well. When I first installed, I disconnected the data drives so that the RAID array would be C:, then once xp was installed, I added the data drive back in...
    Do you smell something burning?....

Try this... (2nd half of page)

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=108

...from what I read, you may have to re-install if this doesn't work.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

The answer of course was not to have any data present during the install .. I for one don't expose my data to any un-necessary 'danger' so I just wouldn't have had the data disks present while doing it, add them after ... I guess you need to be aware that any existing formatted partitions that the o/s can 'see' will bump the drive letters up

HOW TO: Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows -Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 223188

Though that not might be any cop either ! Really its how to recover if the first link given goes wrong ... have a look

It might be quicker though to just do a fresh set-up ... considering the why's & wherefores involved
    Last edited by confus-ed; February 1st, 2004 at 05:43 AM.

yeah, thats what i was afraid of. i would probably just be better off to start over. i did take the opportunity to remove the data drive, install it in another computer and make a copy of hte data.
    yet, i am so sick of reloadign windows....that is all i have done the last few days. maybe i'll wait a little while.

At least you'll know exactly what you want to do with your install after doing it a few times!...Damn - I always run through a few installs with new hardware...to get it just right....
    Do you smell something burning?....