Drunk Computer!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drunk Computer!!!

Its Just that I missed you guys so my PC decided to give me an late BD present & start messing with me....
    Well I was mostly only curious about that options (Program or Systemcache) deep inside I knew it would not solve mi problem.
    The Virtual memory is on "766-1532" for my D: drive where Xp is installed but not active for the other 2 drives where I keep my crap. I have now a tiny (MaxMem) program which monitors the memory usage & specially when I download things I can see that the free memory is consumed quite fast compared to other programs. Since I cannot figure anything wrong with my hardware I somehow think its due to software but the only thing different from before(Sweet non freezing days) is that I have SP1 installed.
    I run Adaware quite often to check & remove spyware & etc....& only software normaly running in background are Norton antivirus 2004 & Sygate Personall firewall.
    Somethings that are different is that I recently I upgraded CPU & Installed a soundblaster live card (turned off on board sound & changed Soundblaster On in BIOS).

Services maybe ? Soundblasters have lots of 'un-required' ones ... did we do that on one of your 'other' threads ? you want sp1 - honest !

HijackThis for you to play with, its a malware removal tool but it lists running services too

[QUOTE=confus-ed]Services maybe ? Soundblasters have lots of 'un-required' ones ... did we do that on one of your 'other' threads ? you want sp1 - honest !

I wanted to remove Soundblaster card but with SP1 my onboard sound is delayed & crappy. Since the SP1 is integrated with Xp I dont feel like doing a new install.....well not yet atleast
    I was thinking since my on board sound have problems with SP1 that some other things could also be crancky!?
    I played abit with Hijackthis & I didnt see anything that should not be there so I attached the log file so you can have a look with your super vision & see if somehting should be removed.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 11:57:40, on 2004-02-08
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!

Running processes:
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    D:\Program\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    D:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    D:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    D:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE
    D:\Program\Symantec\NORTON~1\GHOSTS~2.EXE
    D:\Program\Delade filer\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    D:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    D:\Program\Norton Utilities\NProtect.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    D:\Program\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
    D:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    D:\Program\AnalogX\MaxMem\maxmem.exe
    D:\Program\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    D:\Program\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    E:\Internet Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.se/
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Länkar
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: CCHelper - {0CF0B8EE-6596-11D5-A98E-0003470BB48E} - D:\Program\Panicware\Pop-Up Stopper Pro\CCHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - D:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - D:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Pa&nicware Pop-Up Stopper Pro - {B1E741E7-1E77-40D4-9FD8-51949B9CCBD0} - D:\Program\Panicware\Pop-Up Stopper Pro\popuppro.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - D:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "D:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] D:\Program\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] D:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] D:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] D:\Program\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] D:\Program\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE D:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xportera till Microsoft Excel - res://D:\Program\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Referensinformation (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/s...sh/swflash.cab
    Last edited by 486x; February 8th, 2004 at 06:11 AM.

Talking Re: X ray Vision ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wintask 4 Professional
    Process File: cthelper or cthelper.exe
    Process Name: Plug-in manager
    Description: Background task that works as a plug-in manager for Creative drivers. It helps the third party manufacturers to produce drivers, add-on features, and fixes that will integrate with a tighter fit with Creative sound drivers and utilities.
    Company: Creative Technology Ltd
    System Process: No
    Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
    Common Errors: N/A
    Pah you know nothing ! This is usually top google hit & gets touted as brilliant ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Answersthatwork
    CTHELPER is a background task that is a plug-in manager for Creative drivers. It first appeared with Creative’s SoundBlaster Live and Audigy soundcards. The theory is that 3rd party manufacturers can use the CTHELPER plug-in interface to produce drivers, add-on features, and fixes that will integrate with a tighter fit with Creative’s sound drivers and utilities. One of the very first uses of this interface has been for InterVideo’s WinDVD in the shape of a fix called "WinDVDPatch" and, at the time of writing 12-Jan-2003, there have not been other uses for it yet.

Recommendation :
    Given its purpose CTHELPER would normally be classified as a "leave alone" background task. Unfortunately, as with many other Creative background tasks in these pages, there are often problems with CTHELPER. The most common complaint is random excess CPU utilization, up to 100% ! We have also had complaints of PCs freezing when CTHELPER is around, although that is probably also 100% CPU utilization. Additionally, on PCs running Intel’s Pentium 4 Hyper-Threading CPUs, the sound stutters. In short : CTHELPER is far more trouble than it is a help. Disable.
    Second quote is right

[QUOTE=confus-ed]Pah you know nothing ! This is usually top google hit & gets touted as brilliant ...

It is Done!!
    You Live & learn! "You have thoght me Well"!!
    Hope it Helps now! Cherioo Master
    Last edited by 486x; February 8th, 2004 at 06:52 AM.

ccapp.exe is another culprit, but you cannot disable it although disabling and then resetting I hear can help.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up system freezes, shuts down unextectedly

This may not be the solution for this perticular problem as you seem to have limited the problem by other methods, but have you checked the voltages from you power supply as a failing power supply typically shows with these symptoms. do's you power supply get very hot and do's the problem become more frequent the more strain you put on your system? just an idea i'm still studying hope this helps tho.

Quote Originally Posted by sean
    This may not be the solution for this perticular problem as you seem to have limited the problem by other methods, but have you checked the voltages from you power supply as a failing power supply typically shows with these symptoms. do's you power supply get very hot and do's the problem become more frequent the more strain you put on your system? just an idea i'm still studying hope this helps tho.
    Today I didnt have a problem until I tryed to burn a DVD compilataion which after about 10% done system just froze. The more pressure I put on the system the more often it freezes.
    If I dont Download atfast speeds or burn DVD´s ususally Im rid of that freezing problem, but if I use Media player & watch movies etc...& at the same time Use DC++ the system slows down & memory gets consumed very fast & eventually it freezes. I have used MaxMem which free´s memory when its to little left & I have used the PC with no Prob & I could go on doing that & do one thing at a time but....I wanna be able to Burn DVD with my new burner etc...etc...

Im not so good with checking the Power supply & dont know what temps & voltages are normal...I have a a Modem & cd burner plugged in which I could remove, would that ease the pressure on the power supply!?

Thumbs up

basicly from experience with a failing power supply, when using any graphic intensive program (games videos etc) the system freezes. and burning discs and using usb devices same effect. as far as the voltages are concerned the 5v and 12v should not deviate by more than 10%. and the power supply temp i don't know exactly what temp it should run at but if it's hot to touch i replace them, not just warm but distinctly hot i had one catch fire once not nice ( the fan failed and i didn't notice). as i said i am still studying as an it technician so don't take what i say as gospel, i done quick search on "pc problem power supply failure" and came up with this http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm
    contains details of symptoms and solutions for failing power supplies and tells you how to check the power supply. i have had problems with power supplies mainly due to failed fans (system case and psu) or dust build up, i take more care now but recocnize the symptoms. on one system it damaged the ram sticks as it seems you mentioned and on all three systems it caused unexpected restarts freezes when putting any strain on the system. using word fine for hours play a 3d game or burn a disc it freezes in minutes. hope it helps going to bed now will check thread in morning and see if i can help some more ce ya.

Great link Sean! I'll get right on it when I get home!
    Laters

The Power Supply is working fine with no remarkable malfunction, the voltages are ok & its not what I would call hot!

the only other problem i can think of would be either hardware is incompatable or another device is failing. software dosn't always find the problems. if you have another board you can test the ram and cpu on i would do that one at a time. build a test system (i.e a mb with this cpu and known working ram, then mb known working cpu and this ram), that way you'll find out which part is the culprit. another thing could be the mb dosn't support the ram manufacturer (had this problem with a 128mb stick of kingston sdram and the pcchips 810lmr mb, the ram worked fine and the board worked fine but the system was unstable and kept restarting, i did notice with windows 98se i got blue screen of death for 1 or 2 seconds first, and with windows xp it just froze and sometimes restarted.) for this kind of problem i always put hardware failure first, (and check in this order, ram, cpu, psu, gpu, mb. and i don't add any extras like cdrw, nic, etc while testing.) then i check software (in this order, drivers, extra progs (bare OS), then OS and try a 9x(win98se) and NT (xp or 2000) OS.). this type of problem is really hard to pin down. it seems that you've tried most diag tools and came up empty so i've may have repeated some things you've already tried but this method has always got the job done for me. i always test suspect hardware in a bare test system one at a time so i can be 100% certain it works. it may still be that the hardware just will not work together.

Im gonna borrow Ram from a friend & test my ram on his board etc etc...... I think also that the decoder/encoder for the TV-out is also defective in my new graphic card cause I dont get any picture on the TV just some dark rapid flickering & I have many freezes while watching varisous video clips, I have unfourtunatly no games installed to test gaming but I will install a few & try whan I get the time.
    I dont think I´ll bother much soon since Im thinking of updating the MoBO & Ram eventually alsothe CPU....so what do you guys recommend!? Via or nForce!? As far as Im know I have the impression that Via is more stable!? You can see my Spec below so give suggestions to what MoBo would be best with the stuff I already have ignore the ram though! Thx.
    Last edited by 486x; February 10th, 2004 at 04:53 PM.

Im back again after a few days abscense....anyone missed me!?
    Since last time I have tryed a different Ram, reinstalled windows & I have removed the Soundblaser Live card (which was the last thing installed) I reseated the CPU & the Fan to make sure. The temps are ok for both powersupply, cpu & board but Im not rid of those darn random lockups. Which are more frequent now.
    Can HD´s cause lockups? I have tryed to defragment my HD but I cant get far cause the PC freezes.
    One more thought is about the CPU, I changed it from a Athlon Thunderbird 1200 to AMD Athlon XP 2200+ FSB266mhz which my MoBO is supposed to Support,but in BIOS I have no option to change the FSB to 266..
    Usin cpu-z I get this summary:

CPU Clock Speed 1800.0 MHz
    Clock multiplier x 13.5
    Front Side Bus Frequency 133.3 MHz
    Bus Speed 266.7 MHz
    L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Speed 1800.0 MHz (Full)
    L2 Location On Chip
    L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
    L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Since Im a numptie I wonder what the difference is between FSB & Bus Speed!?
    Please bear with me & my stupid ???´s

Quote Originally Posted by RossJacks
    Im back again after a few days abscense....anyone missed me!?
    Since last time I have tryed a different Ram, reinstalled windows & I have removed the Soundblaser Live card (which was the last thing installed) I reseated the CPU & the Fan to make sure. The temps are ok for both powersupply, cpu & board but Im not rid of those darn random lockups. Which are more frequent now.
    Can HD´s cause lockups? I have tryed to defragment my HD but I cant get far cause the PC freezes.
    One more thought is about the CPU, I changed it from a Athlon Thunderbird 1200 to AMD Athlon XP 2200+ FSB266mhz which my MoBO is supposed to Support,but in BIOS I have no option to change the FSB to 266..
    Usin cpu-z I get this summary:

CPU Clock Speed 1800.0 MHz
    Clock multiplier x 13.5
    Front Side Bus Frequency 133.3 MHz
    Bus Speed 266.7 MHz
    L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Speed 1800.0 MHz (Full)
    L2 Location On Chip
    L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
    L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Since Im a numptie I wonder what the difference is between FSB & Bus Speed!?
    Please bear with me & my stupid ???´s
    Wow, no wonder this one is a nightmare for you -ed. You have certainly tryed sooo many things. Have you in fact cleaned up the "system processes" listed in your HiJack log? The fact that it was not able to get the IE version is not a good sign. Since you have made so many changes since the last log, would you mind running another one. Ghost services and Norton Protection don't need to be there either. As well as what NooNoo and confus-ed have already recommended "ending" From the program you can check the various lines mentioned and HiJack will do the work for you.
    That being said, it almost seems like the motherboard now. Matsonic is not exactly top of the line. Along those lines, I would like to know if your pc freezes or reboots at ramdom even when you aren't doing intensive computing. Why? I would like you to disable all memory cache settings in the bios and run it for awhile. Note that your PC will slow down and some things may not run properly. But, this is a way to find out if your pc locks/resets even without depending on the memory "cache" setting, In other words, lets detune the PC to see if it makes a difference. This could possibly tell us if your mainboard is failing or parts of it are bad.
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; February 15th, 2004 at 03:30 PM.