W2K drvr needed - Epson Stylus Color 500

Thread: W2K drvr needed - Epson Stylus Color 500

W2K drvr needed - Epson Stylus Color 500

The driver in W2K for this printer doesn't drive it at a very good DPI, the original driver from Epson in W98 worked extremely well. Unfortunately Epson hasn't issued a driver for W2K.

Anybody know of a driver that'll work well for me? Thanks!

Banned
    Question: Should I use Epson's drivers or the drivers provided from Microsoft with the Windows XP software?

Answer: If you use the Epson Windows 2000 or Windows 2000/XP drivers from the Epson Support web site you will receive all functions and features the printer offer. If you use the Microsoft Windows XP built-in driver, you will be able to print but you will not be able to use the following functions:

• Ability to check your ink levels
    • Ability to print at 2880dpi (if your printer supports that resolution)
    • Advanced Color Management features
    • Advanced Page Layout features like watermarks, multi-page support, or doublesided printing (if your printer supports this feature)

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...&noteoid=17766

Ok you might think I'm mad here but here goes. I have used drivers made for windows 98 under windows 2000, and they worked perfectly, (the ones that would load anyway). Try it, you have nothing to lose. Apparently windows 98 drivers are more compatible to 2000 than the NT4 drivers, (not my words but that of an ex-colleague).

Now the down side, the drivers I used were all for postscript printers and were loaded using the adobe universal postscript printer driver, but hey, sometimes the strangest suggestions work the best!
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    Question: Should I use Epson's drivers or the drivers provided from Microsoft with the Windows XP software?

Answer: If you use the Epson Windows 2000 or Windows 2000/XP drivers from the Epson Support web site you will receive all functions and features the printer offer. If you use the Microsoft Windows XP built-in driver, you will be able to print but you will not be able to use the following functions:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...&noteoid=17766
    Freddy, I appreciate the suggestion, and this page you referred me to was much more complete than any I'd seen on Epson's page before!

Unfortunately, for W2K, my model printer does not appear. Since it does state that W-XP has built-in support, I'm now curious if XP would drive this printer at it's full DPI! I haven't upgraded Windows to XP yet & probably won't just to save the printer.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by gazzak
    Ok you might think I'm mad here but here goes. I have used drivers made for windows 98 under windows 2000, and they worked perfectly, (the ones that would load anyway). Try it, you have nothing to lose. Apparently windows 98 drivers are more compatible to 2000 than the NT4 drivers, (not my words but that of an ex-colleague).
    Interesting ideas, gazzak! I did try the NT4 driver, I don't remember now if I tried the W98 driver or not. So I'll give that a shot, it'll be a couple days--I'll let you know if it works. Thanks! Tom

Banned
    xp and 2k driver there http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...Type=Downloads

when u say yours is not listed ?

remember that it might not be 5xx but might be 5xxx as in the whole model series ,,,,

up to you

cheers

freddy

xp and 2k driver there http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...Type=Downloads

when u say yours is not listed ?

remember that it might not be 5xx but might be 5xxx as in the whole model series ,,,,

up to you

cheers

freddy
    Thanks, Freddy, I see the problem now! This page you pointed me to is the "580", mine is the "500", & I've been visiting http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...Type=Downloads for several years, periodically, looking for W2K.

BTW, I really appreciate your continuing to point me towards a correct path to solve my issue, I hope I'm not missing something very obvious!

I'm very intrigued by your comment about "5xxx" for the whole 500 model series, if one of those existed, would it be listed in that "500" page I listed the url for above?

Tom

Banned
    that many bloody epsom printers ,,,,do yo want it in blue plastic or red?

i take it from what i,m reading that they have chose the 580 , as a model in the 500 series.i would try driver 5.20 from http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...Type=Downloads ,, yes i know thay are a pain to remove ,,,,but it is deffinatly the closest.

no probs helpin you ,,,,,hope u will do the same back sometime

good luck and i hope we have found the correct one.

ps i used www.driversguide.com with user name : drivers ,, password : all then left hand side mfg / name ,,,,and i found epsom

freddy

that many bloody epsom printers ,,,,do yo want it in blue plastic or red?
    <laugh> Ain't that the truth?

Thanks, Freddy, I'll give your suggestion a shot. It'll be a couple days, probably, but I'll definitely report back! Later, friend--

Tom