Windows XP lost drivers?

Thread: Windows XP lost drivers?

Registered User Dark Millennium's Avatar

Windows XP lost drivers?

Hello,

I have a 12x burner installed in a system. The system is using Windows XP Pro and is fully updated.

Just recently the comp lost the ability to load the drivers for the burner. When checking it, it appears that it may be in fact missing drivers, ( I did a comparison to a system with another LG burner installed albeit 52x and not 12x), and several drivers were missing.

So my question is does anyone know how to get XP to update/reinstall the drivers for this device? I tried copying the drivers from the system32 directory of the 52x system to the system32 directory of the 12x system, but it didn't seem to help. Update driver doesn't seem to help either, and I have also tried uninstalling the device from device manager and physically as well but to no avail.

I'm fairly certain that the drive is an 8120b model and unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a a floppy with the drivers to be found

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.
    (Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel)

If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
    (Laws of Computer Programming, III)

Thanx to Adept for the Avatar

Windows drivers for ide based optical devices such as cd and dvd are the same drivers that run your hard drive.

So, what is the error message in device manager?

if its any of Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 your fix is simple. Just because it says easy cd is the culprit, doesn't mean this fix only works for easy cd.....

Otherwise try reinstalling your motherboard drivers.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Registered User Dark Millennium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Windows drivers for ide based optical devices such as cd and dvd are the same drivers that run your hard drive.

So, what is the error message in device manager?

if its any of Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 your fix is simple. Just because it says easy cd is the culprit, doesn't mean this fix only works for easy cd.....

Otherwise try reinstalling your motherboard drivers.
    Thanks very much NooNoo. The KB article solved my problems.
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.
    (Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel)

If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
    (Laws of Computer Programming, III)

Thanx to Adept for the Avatar