linux and the internet

Thread: linux and the internet

linux and the internet

Well I have SUSE linux7.0 running on my 233mmx w/128mb ram. It has detected my modem and I was able to go out online and hit google but that is the only site I could get to....

Anywhere else I tried to go ( including sites found by searching google ) the hard drive would go like crazy and then netscape 4.7 would just sit there with a completely blank display and in the status bar at the bottom would say "downloaded 1k ( stalled ) "

Any ideas what is going on? i'm going to try and get mozilla or opera installed on there at some point but till then can anyone give me any ideas why it's doing this?
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Are you running kde or gnome? If kde try running konqueror and see if you can access any pages from there. Also is the internet being accessed via lan or dialup? (sounds like dialup but you never know )
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

it's KDE but I couldn't find Konqueror on the system.... The distro automatically installs netscape so I'm not sure if konqueror is there... I think it is version 1.x of kde. you are given the option to "try out" some of 2's features.... Maybe I need to go back and install them huh? Oh and a friend brought this up.... When I "configured" the internet all I did was put in the phone# and my login and password. Should there be someplace to put the dns in? I do have the primary and secondary dns, somewhere...

---edit ----

Oh uh sorry it's dial-up if you didn't figure it out...
    Last edited by Shard92; February 10th, 2004 at 03:18 PM.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!