How difficult is it to learn C

Thread: How difficult is it to learn C

How difficult is it to learn C

Hi,
    I mentioned to my boss that I'd like to take another course through work, and she suggested C+. I know nothing about programming, so I'm not sure what I'm in for.

How difficult is it to learn the programming language of C?
    Is there a difference between C, C+, and C++?

Any input would be great!!

Thanks!
    Life is short - Eat dessert first! mmmm... cake

Programming is easy, making efficient programs is the hard part.

If you do any sort of scripting, or perhaps use macros and alter the code directly, you have already started on programming.

here is a definition of C++

You will notice that C++ is "object oriented" Previous incarnations are not. As analogy you wish to build a car in a programming language. In earlier incarnations you have to specify chassis, metal, doors, glass, etc etc. In object oriented you specify engine and colour.

The point of object oriented is that you are building on code that has been done before. There is little point in recoding stuff that has done before. Object oriented allows you to grab whole chunks of stuff with one word and allows you to manipulate the "object".

To learn good programming techniques, you usually start with the older languages such as C or Pascal and then go onto object oriented such as java or C++.
    Last edited by NooNoo; February 6th, 2004 at 02:12 PM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thank you very much NooNoo.

We have some massive macros here at work, that one of our programmers put together. I've taken a look at it, and went buggy eyed.

It'll actually be nice to know what that macro is all about.

I've got a call in with one of our Corporate learning centres, so now I wait and find out cost and schedule. Perhaps by spring I can be in an evening class learning until my brain hurts!
    Life is short - Eat dessert first! mmmm... cake

Registered User BlueShadowDemon's Avatar
    C++ is a fairly easy language to learn, at my high school I am currently taking C and I'm loving it alot. The most trouble I've had learning it so far is forgetting the cin>> and the cout<< I always get the directions arrows mixed up Besides that its been pretty easy for me.
    AMD athlon XP 1700, 320 MB Ram, 40 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128mb RAM ... awaiting upgrade