Remote Desktop w/ audio

Thread: Remote Desktop w/ audio

Remote Desktop w/ audio

Ok I am running a 2003 Standard Edition and trying to make it so I can open up my music player(or just any of the songs but seems to have same prob if I open alone or in player) but everytime I do says its missing the right audio drivers. Anyone know why this is? Any help appreciated in fixing so I can listen to nice good music whenever I want.

thanks
    michael

I don't think your going to have much luck for several reasons. First, 2k3 is designed for as a Network operating system, not something intended for home use, as such, many features you get in other os's are not used in 2k3.

Secondly, remote desktop is a *Very* restricted version of the main desktop that loads custom drivers for everything that get's forwarded, Sound included. You'll notice that there is no 3d support for the video in terminal server. You may also notice that you can get 16 bit color support in terminal server even if you have no video drivers installed on the console. I would say that the codecs for the sound that are required for your music are among the things that do not get loaded in TS.

You would be better off setting up a broadcast server for media player or winamp to alllow you to listen to your music remotly
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Thanks Mat but I've got no idea on how to do that. Happen to know any good tutorials on setting that up? and also how secure would that be?

thanks
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Mich@el
    Thanks Mat but I've got no idea on how to do that. Happen to know any good tutorials on setting that up? and also how secure would that be?

thanks
    Michael
    no clue on how to set it up. I don't even have an MP3 on my computer.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

something like this. Shoutcast is another.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The protocol used by Terminal Services (RDP) does not encapsolate (sp?) audio. If you need audio you will need to look at a Citrix solution, or a streaming media server. However audio / video through Citrix is going to place a heavy load on your server and you may not get adequate performance.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

The protocol used by Terminal Services (RDP) does not encapsolate (sp?) audio.

Actually, it does. XP and 2003 both encapsulate Audio and full color.

Honer

"Sounds such as “error” and “new mail” notification events are redirected to the client. "

I stand corrected. It seems http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...erOverview.doc

notes that some system sounds at least DO transfer to the client.

I am looking for more information.

I have seen some mention of Audio redirection on terminal server 2003/xp, but no details.

Again I stand corrected.

Thanks
    Last edited by cyberhh; August 19th, 2004 at 11:52 AM.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Not a problem,

If you want I can point you in the right direction for getting it working.

Basically you want three things configured.

One: make sure you are redirecting audio to your local machine in the Client. Under options etc.....

Two: In terminal services configuration, under properties for RDP-tcp, go to Client settings and make sure the Audio Redirection option is checked.

Three, and this was the killer for me to find: Go in to your group policies and drill down to the terminal services, I can find the link. There is an audio redirection setting which is at default. Once I changed that to allowed, everything worked.

Hope that helps.

Honer