Got virus' today TWICE! and a bunch each time!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got virus' today TWICE! and a bunch each time!!

Got virus' today TWICE! and a bunch each time!!

I have AVG, zone alarm, Norton spyblaster....what else do I need to stop this stuff? twice today, norton said I was infected with mydoom, mimail I and J, klez, beagle and something starting with du..... I also thought spyblaster was cleaning out the trackers but found 3 more today, I won...was on twice and and that said tracking cookie? help!

Quote Originally Posted by hi ho sliver
    I have AVG, zone alarm, Norton spyblaster....what else do I need to stop this stuff? twice today, norton said I was infected with mydoom, mimail I and J, klez, beagle and something starting with du..... I also thought spyblaster was cleaning out the trackers but found 3 more today, I won...was on twice and and that said tracking cookie? help!
    First off: welcome to Windrivers hi ho! Now, down to business. Did Norton say it quarantined them? If so, then you are all right. Suggestion: boot in to safe mode and do a complete scan, making sure that your definitions are up to date. After the scan, download SpyBot and Adware, update and run them both. Tracking is often misleading, but not always. After you run the virus scan and the "spyware/malware" scans, get back to us and let us know what's up. BTW: is your system compromised: do you notice anything wrong???

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    First off: welcome to Windrivers hi ho! Now, down to business. Did Norton say it quarantined them? If so, then you are all right. Suggestion: boot in to safe mode and do a complete scan, making sure that your definitions are up to date. After the scan, download SpyBot and Adware, update and run them both. Tracking is often misleading, but not always. After you run the virus scan and the "spyware/malware" scans, get back to us and let us know what's up. BTW: is your system compromised: do you notice anything wrong???
    I have been getting those mydoom and mimail warnings by the dozens..but have been deleting and blocking and have had no problem until today...got nailed twice...not from email, had to come from the net somehow......I have adaware...tried spybot, it found something and when I hit the delete button, it said I had to upgrade...in other words buy....! I have norton, zonealarm and spyblaster..First time norton said it could not delete and I would have to go to AVG, the second time it said it quarantined, but I ran avg anyway and it showed the virus??

I have been getting those mydoom and mimail warnings by the dozens..but have been deleting and blocking and have had no problem until today...got nailed twice...not from email, had to come from the net somehow......I have adaware...tried spybot, it found something and when I hit the delete button, it said I had to upgrade...in other words buy....! I have norton, zonealarm and spyblaster..First time norton said it could not delete and I would have to go to AVG, the second time it said it quarantined, but I ran avg anyway and it showed the virus??
    Sorry! thanks for the welcome....what I would like to know is....is there a system I can purchase that will perform all the functions? ie firewall, spyblaster, virus prevention, not just removal? I think Norton has been compromised here!

Do you have both AVG and NAV installed on the system at the same time? This can cause some detection problems. You generally want to pick one AntiVirus app and make sure you update as often as possible. NAV doesn't seem to update as often as some others which is one of the problems I have with it. And spybot does not have a pay version as far as I know. The updates should be a free download via the Interner, so make sure you have the latest updates for that as well.

Just a thought, do you have a firewall? Without a firewall and the proper security settings it's easy for someone to circumvent your antivirus apps.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    Just a thought, do you have a firewall? Without a firewall and the proper security settings it's easy for someone to circumvent your antivirus apps.

I had zonealarm, but the local computer store, no one there seemed to think much of it, they suggested I go with msn's internal firewall, so I did that and just deleted my zonealarm....they also thought I should get rid of avg, popupblaster, spywareblaster, adaware etc and gowith "panda"....I don't know what panda is, so don't know if you have the popup protection, and the tracker etc....tough being computer illiterate!

I had zonealarm, but the local computer store, no one there seemed to think much of it, they suggested I go with msn's internal firewall, so I did that and just deleted my zonealarm....they also thought I should get rid of avg, popupblaster, spywareblaster, adaware etc and gowith "panda"....I don't know what panda is, so don't know if you have the popup protection, and the tracker etc....tough being computer illiterate!
    Sounds like bum advice to me. I would ditch all of the other spyware garbage and stick with Adaware personally. Use google toolbar for the popups. And panda's probably the last AV I'd use.

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad
    Sounds like bum advice to me. I would ditch all of the other spyware garbage and stick with Adaware personally. Use google toolbar for the popups. And panda's probably the last AV I'd use.

Well I found out one thing! this guy telling me to do a windows update, I did like a dummy.....all it did was add a bunch of garbage to my computer and really slow it down...now I don't know how to uninstall windows update! how on earth do you find the uninstall wizard?

Well I found out one thing! this guy telling me to do a windows update, I did like a dummy.....all it did was add a bunch of garbage to my computer and really slow it down...now I don't know how to uninstall windows update! how on earth do you find the uninstall wizard?
    Sorry hi ho, but you can not and should not uninstall windows update. It sounds like you may have "updated" and added things which were not necessary. For the most part, the "Critical Updates" are necessary, while only some of the others are necessary. So, what is it you think was garbage?
    Going back to previous posts, you do as too many people do: listen to anyone who talks like they know what they are talking about. Well, for you future info: this is the place to take advice from, not from a clerk at a store who recommends MSN. So, tell us what changes you have made to what originally was installed and let us get it back to where it should be. First step would be removing the MSN "firewall" and reinstalling ZoneAlarm. And then reinstalling SpyBot and Adaware. Use the Google toolbar as a pop up blocker. An all in one solution? They are out there, but they have far to go to be complete and reliable. Right now, separate tools are best. Leave NAV and get rid of AVG.

Talking Ahhh ! ... what turns out to be an answer for Trip 'really'...

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Sorry hi ho, but you can not and should not uninstall windows update. It sounds like you may have "updated" and added things which were not necessary. For the most part, the "Critical Updates" are necessary, while only some of the others are necessary. So, what is it you think was garbage?..
    You can uninstall it if you are so minded but given that EVERYTHING else depends on windows itself being 'right' I wouldn't advise it either - btw 'critical' sometimes helpfully turns on/re-installs stuff like ms messenger & other such 'junk'

No tech stars here, never mind in the world Trip - the rest of his advice is good ... maybe substitute the word kerio for ZA (but that's taste & a free pop-up stopper thrown in so no icky googlebar phoning home )- the problem with MS's firewall offering is that it only stops 'ins' NOT 'outs' - you NEED something else - & NAV ... nav on a home system ? pah pooh phooey Of those two I'd keep AVG & save some money ... & of course you forgot to say get Hijack This (malware remover)

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    You can uninstall it if you are so minded but given that EVERYTHING else depends on windows itself being 'right' I wouldn't advise it either - btw 'critical' sometimes helpfully turns on/re-installs stuff like ms messenger & other such 'junk'

No tech stars here, never mind in the world Trip - the rest of his advice is good ... maybe substitute the word kerio for ZA (but that's taste & a free pop-up stopper thrown in so no icky googlebar phoning home )- the problem with MS's firewall offering is that it only stops 'ins' NOT 'outs' - you NEED something else - & NAV ... nav on a home system ? pah pooh phooey Of those two I'd keep AVG & save some money ... & of course you forgot to say get Hijack This (malware remover)
    Umm, EXACTLY how would you go about uninstalling Windows Update -ed? You can break it, you can choose not to run it, you can turn off the auto update feature, but uninstall it???? It is a website! And a service within Windows which you allows you to connect and download updates.
    ...you get minus tech stars for that one.
    I would take NAV over AVG every single time. And, Hijack This is a great tool: if you know what you are doing, which is why we techs ask non tech go give us such report/log. So, not recommended to everyone.

Zone Alarm is worse than msn? this advisor you listened to is on some sort of substance!!!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Registered User Commander Klarg's Avatar
    Better yet, get yourself a router that has a firewall built-in.

For pop-ups, use the Mozilla browser. If you require IE interoperability, use Avant Browser. Both are very good.

Spyware killing: I use a combo of Ad-aware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Antivirus: Not sure how some stack up against the others. I use Symantec Corporate Edition, which works great but would be overkill for home use.

my $0.02 - Your mileage may vary.
    Here comes the revolution; time for the retribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip trying to trip up ?
    And a service within Windows which you allows you to connect and download updates.
    ...you get minus tech stars for that one.
    Automatic Updates Service is what I'm talking about, (what do you think 'automatically' takes you to a website - magic ? ) you can disable the service or remove it completely like any service (if so minded- like I said -why is completely another issue ) by figuring out what dll(s) calls it & un registering it/them ... wuaueng.dll and wuauserv.dll in this case - so no tech points demerit for me ... I'd fine you some if you deserved any