Deployment Guide

Thread: Deployment Guide

Deployment Guide

Hi all

just wondering what procedures you guys use when installing and configuring servers? You know the sort of thing; home folders for users, Data folder with public and work in progress folders etc etc. Do you use Raid if so what level? What sort of backup solution do you employ? i live in a small town most of our clients are between 1-5 boxes, most of them don't even have a server.....yet!

Between 1 and 5 boxes? You will be hard pushed to sell them a server then. You should be concentrating on their ability to backup their data.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I do actually sell the odd server (not very many though). There are certain applications that need a server to run. It's easier, from my experience to sell a small firm a server than say an expensive backup program. Especially when w2k and xp now have their own useable backup program.

Who said anything about expensive. I was talking about a cdrw and nero!!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Nero as a backup solution for a small business.... . I think the backup software that comes with xp or win2k is a lot better.

You can also start with an older box, cd or tape and Linux / Ananda backup. All opensource, for experience you can download RedHat9 ISO's and select the Ananda packages.

One of the largest expenses in selling a server to a small business is in the expense fo the OS license. Try Linux with Samba. You can setup the backups to work automatically, store all data on the server and provide your clients with a server for central storage and a backup solution for $500 - $1000 hardware cost and whatever your labor fees are.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Quote Originally Posted by mountain man
    Hi all

just wondering what procedures you guys use when installing and configuring servers? You know the sort of thing; home folders for users, Data folder with public and work in progress folders etc etc. Do you use Raid if so what level? What sort of backup solution do you employ? i live in a small town most of our clients are between 1-5 boxes, most of them don't even have a server.....yet!
    Sell them MS Small Buisiness server (If they need internal mail, inet mail, a db server, etc.) and create them a domain. Getting users to do backups is like getting teeth out of a hen.

I use RAID on the servers I build, in mirror mode for redundancy.

Look into off-site backups for your clients. ( http://www.inforsure.com is a good place to start.)

Using the basic Active directory is automatic and fairly simple.