HELP... mounting a drive to add space to primary partition - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HELP... mounting a drive to add space to primary partition

so what is the configuration of the drives? how big (total physical size) is the drive in question. how many partitions are there? how big are each of the partitions? how much free space on these partitions?

there has to be about 3 dozen better ways of doing this. if you are worried about data loss...ghost to another drive, use partition magic to resize the partitions. that way if you screw up, your original is still intact and you can try again.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

ok.. there are 3 harddrives 2x 37gig raptors and 1x 120gig wetern dig

raptor 1.. has 3 partitions one of 2.5 gig (dont ask me why)for os(win xp pro) 1 of 1.4 gig for page file and 1 of whatever is left for program files.

raptor 2.. .has 1 partition :drive sized and is used for video files

drive 3.. the 120 gig has 1 5 gig partition for secondary os(2k3 server) 1 1.5gig partition for pagefile, 1 of 10 gig for program files, 1 of 60 gig for more files another 3gig for system log files, active directory etc.. and a load of space free.

the xp os partition has just about run out of space.. and almost 1 gigs worth of data is in the system32 folder.. so i thought id make it bigger by mounting a dynamic drive to an empty folder.. copying said contents and renaming mount to system32..(d@mn i think ive said this already )

(the 2 gig mounted dynamic disk of which i have spoken is part of the free space on the 3rd drive)

any way... sytem restore is tunred off.. windows temp folder and my documents have been reloctaed to the 60gig parition on drive 3.. i have uninstalled all that i could of windows legacy(games, acccesabilty etc)

hoped that xp would order its boot sequence to take into account any dynamic disks and there contents if they happen to be system critical .. but as you say seems not.. so

ive never ghosted a drive before, ..? never had a need to.. will i have to change the boot.ini file after the process.. since the os will end up on a different disk to the one its on presently?

how do i go about ghosting it? ive seen pro apps to do it but does xp pro have its own method?

also.. will disabling windows file protection allow me to copy the contenes of the system32 folder to another one? im not able to do this at present.. '' file in use''
    Last edited by dr_jones; February 10th, 2004 at 10:46 PM.
    E R R O R...
    ------------------------------->

Quote Originally Posted by dr_jones
    ok.. there are 3 harddrives 2x 37gig raptors and 1x 120gig wetern dig

raptor 1.. has 3 partitions one of 2.5 gig (dont ask me why)for os(win xp pro) 1 of 1.4 gig for page file and 1 of whatever is left for program files.

raptor 2.. .has 1 partition :drive sized and is used for video files

drive 3.. the 120 gig has 1 5 gig partition for secondary os(2k3 server) 1 1.5gig partition for pagefile, 1 of 10 gig for program files, 1 of 60 gig for more files another 3gig for system log files, active directory etc.. and a load of space free.

the xp os partition has just about run out of space.. and almost 1 gigs worth of data is in the system32 folder.. so i thought id make it bigger by mounting a dynamic drive to an empty folder.. copying said contents and renaming mount to system32..(d@mn i think ive said this already )

any way... sytem restore is tunred off.. windows temp folder and my documents have been reloctaed to the 60gig parition on drive 3.. i have uninstalled all that i could of windows legacy(games, acccesabilty etc)

hoped that xp would order its boot sequence to take into account any dynamic disks and there contents if they happen to be system critical .. but as you say seems not.. so

ive never ghosted a drive before, ..? never had a need to.. will i have to change the boot.ini file after the process.. since the os will end up on a different disk to the one its on presently?

how do i go about ghosting it? ive seen pro apps to do it but does xp pro have its own method?
    So, Raptor one has ONLY a 2.5 gig partition for the system/boot ? That is your problem right there. Partition Magic will take care of that. Let's calculate that. A 40 gig drive with a 2.5 gig partition for the OS, 1.4 for the swap file, and 36 gigs for the rest???? Come on now. All you have to do now is repartition. Not all that stuff that you planned on doing which would likely kill the system.
    Come on now: think about it for a minute. Or an hour....however long it takes. You seemingly have a good system hardware wise, but it has been set up WRONG partition wise. THIS IS NOT DOS! No wonder you're running out of room.
    Solution: repartition with a known, good, program, and your problem will be solved. As far as paying for a partitioning program...well, I don't know: but someone here will! In fact, I would like to know about a 'free" re-partitioning program. THAT is what you need. Free partitioning program on the web: NooNoo??? If there is one, her or -ed will find it.

ranish RTFM cannot be understated when arranging partitions. I would still prefer to ghost the original partition before starting this and I would also back up the entire system.

BTW 2.5 for XP? The instructions say at least 3.5gig. I started with 10gig partitions for XP, I have now moved to 15 gig partitions (because office is so damned big!!).
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

ok..partition magic should solve your problem...just steal some space from your largest partition on the first raptor and add it to your tiny system partition. but just like noonoo said, ghosting to another drive before hand is a good idea...because if the partition resizing goes bad, you're pretty much screwed.

when we say Ghost it, we are referring to using Norton Ghost to create an image of one drive onto another. I am not aware of any free 3rd party apps that will do this.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

ok thanks DELMER thanks that'll do at least fro a work around..

noonoo.. i'm responsible for about 200 pc's in my job and have 7 here at home.. macs as well.. most of them have at least a 5gig partition for os.. office can be installed to another partition.. usually one that i call 'program files' seperate to the os.. one more for pagefile.. and another for saves whatever they may be.. unfortunately one druken night i decided to re install windows.. and hey what do i find the os sitting on a 2.5gig partition.. whoops.

anyway... ive so much installed on this thing and am so busy that i need a quick way of sorting things.. quick and reliable that is..

and to those of you who can reply only in base.. well its a shame you couldnt answer my question.. quick replies and sharp tounges only prove one thinng.. ignorance..good evening to you
    Last edited by dr_jones; February 12th, 2004 at 05:04 PM.
    E R R O R...

ok thanks DELMER thanks that'll do at least fro a work around..

noonoo.. i'm responsible for about 200 pc's in my job and have 7 here at home.. macs as well.. most of them have at least a 5gig partition for os.. office can be installed to another partition.. usually one that i call 'program files' seperate to the os.. one more for pagefile.. and another for saves whatever they may be.. unfortunately one druken night i decided to re install windows.. and hey what do i find the os sitting on a 2.5gig partition.. whoops.
    Hey, I go to reply to your first post, and up pops the Edited version. Well, since you thought twice about us not knowing what to do and offering nothing but workarounds, let's let it go, huh.
    BTW: the MCSE core you spoke of and the solution it mentioned which you are still working on, I'd be interested in reading about. What you infer is you can enlarge partitions from within Windows itself without an app like Partition Magic. Care to post the MCSE core question/answer you spoke of. Remember, everyday we ALLL learn here, and we tried to help you, and now, you may be able to help us.

PS
    Happy Birthday delmer_1.
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; February 12th, 2004 at 05:11 PM.

I WASNT DIGGIN AT YOU ALL ..SOME OF YOU WERE ACTUALLY REALLY HELPFULL. BUT SOME.. some IVE NOTICED HERE ON THIS FORUM ARE FAR To interested in the look of their own type...

and as for the mcse .. im not talking about doing it all throug th os.. and in fact will use a version of linux that i run from cd witch allows me to work with ntfs partitions without loading windows and subsequently locking key folders.. it all runs from ram as well so no modifications are made to the hard disk drive contents.. the dynamic disk will be mounted to an empty folder from within the os.. ffrom outside of it the files will be copied and the new folder renamed to what the original one was..

analysing the boot process shows the order in which drivers/ and services are stared... and can be arranged accordingly .. if you know how... which i do.. and will allow for dyanmiv disks to be mounted in the correct sequence of things to allow for initial boot from the sytem32 fodler
    E R R O R...

[I WASNT DIGGIN AT YOU ALL ..SOME OF YOU WERE ACTUALLY REALLY HELPFULL. BUT SOME.. some IVE NOTICED HERE ON THIS FORUM ARE FAR To interested in the look of their own type...

and as for the mcse .. im not talking about doing it all throug th os.. and use a version of linux that i run from cd witch allows me to work with ntfs partitions without loading windows and subsequently locking key folders.. it all runs from ram as well so no modifications are made to the hard disk drive contents.. the dynamic disk will be mounted to an empty folder from within the os.. ffrom outside of it the files will be copied and the new folder renamed to what the original one was..

analysing the boot process shows the order in which drivers/ and services are stared... and can be arranged accordingly .. .. and will allow for dyanmiv disks to be mounted in the correct sequence of things to allow for initial boot from the sytem32 fodler
    E R R O R...

I WASNT DIGGIN AT YOU ALL ..SOME OF YOU WERE ACTUALLY REALLY HELPFULL. BUT SOME.. some IVE NOTICED HERE ON THIS FORUM ARE FAR To interested in the look of their own type...

and as for the mcse .. im not talking about doing it all throug th os.. and in fact will use a version of linux that i run from cd witch allows me to work with ntfs partitions without loading windows and subsequently locking key folders.. it all runs from ram as well so no modifications are made to the hard disk drive contents.. the dynamic disk will be mounted to an empty folder from within the os.. ffrom outside of it the files will be copied and the new folder renamed to what the original one was..

analysing the boot process shows the order in which drivers/ and services are stared... and can be arranged accordingly .. if you know how... which i do.. and will allow for dyanmiv disks to be mounted in the correct sequence of things to allow for initial boot from the sytem32 fodler
    Believe me, I know what it looks like here, in fact that's what got me going, you know: fighting back.
    But you mentioned the MCSE 2000/2003 talks about doing what you wanted to do, right? What does it say...the question itself? Was this a prep question from the MCSE that asks you to come up with a solution which involves Linux? I am really curious about this now. You got this idea of yours from an MCSE exam prep book...so what was the question, and answer if provided?

I resemble that inference ...I think you are really pushing an envelope here. I also think you are full of crap. If you come here asking for free advice on something that is so unconventional as this, feel free to expect some backlash and putdowns. That’s the nature of the beast.

Good luck with your adventure.

ok the question isnt specific to the mcse exams.. but the topic concerning mounting dynamic disks is relevant(theres even questions on it).. and it describes the process of mounting a disk(in this case part of a physical drive) to an empty folder.. in order to add space to a of an unpredictably overly full folder (the mcse uses shared file fodlers as an example). i simply wanted to aply this to a system critical folder(if i could).. . and then as a consequence rearrange the boot process so that windows will be able to read from the mounted drive to access the files it needs from within .. relocating the drivers it needed firstly to another location..

the linux boot cd installs to ram withought physically changing any of the hard disks and gives ntfs volume support.

so using that would allow me to make the changes i needed.

all i needed was a way to increase the size of the system32 folder without having to format , repartition and reinstall.. ive so much software it takes nearly 5 hours to put it all back on.

the rest well... i havent used partition magic for a long time not since xp came along and have never had the software to ghost. although doesnt 2k3 have this as native?
    the partition is to small and that was a once only mistake.. i odnt get p'''sed that often.

and Ya_know.. well thanks for the input. (if you can call it that).. what exactly is it thats so unconvential about this problem. its something that microsoft should have been implemented a long time ago it seems.
    E R R O R...

Ok ... so now you 'upset' everyone, let me just mention that you never used the phrase 'dynamic disks' ... now some of us 'smartarses' who like the look of what we type (or whatever you sweepingly accused us all of) know about things more 'oft' than we let on, as it makes any discussion or problem solving mechanism very unwieldy if you want to bring every aspect in ...

But Oh no you always knew better ... so why flipping ask ? - mounting system folders in seperate partitions other than root is NOT stock advice even with dynamic disks ( & I ain't even gonna 'go there', as to why they ain't as 'clever' as they seem ...)

You asked
    all i needed was a way to increase the size of the system32 folder without having to format , repartition and reinstall..
    Ok so use Partition Magic to resize it ... or use ghost to transfer it to another partition of sufficient size - neither of these are MS solutions - just practical ones from folk who do it ! Or make the bloody thing big enough first time !

Billy Boys answer is to do a complete back-up ... create a parallel install in a large enough partition & then restore the back up - seems to me my non MS way is better

so, did you get this working? Also, what linux disc are you using? I have been using Knoppix for a while, which does this, but does not have write ability on NTFS partitions. i have been looking for a bootable CD that has teh ability to write to NTFS partitions, so if you could provide some info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Answering something not aimed at me at all ..

Quote Originally Posted by delmer_1
    so, did you get this working? Also, what linux disc are you using? I have been using Knoppix for a while, which does this, but does not have write ability on NTFS partitions. i have been looking for a bootable CD that has teh ability to write to NTFS partitions, so if you could provide some info, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Errrrrrrr Not being a linux chappie at all (you might better ask this as a seperate question in a/our linux forum) but does any linux incantation write 'correctly' to a ntfs partition ? I don't think so - anyone else ? I know they read but I thought .... Which was part of why I was so scathing earlier about how to fix it