IP address and router

Thread: IP address and router

IP address and router

I have a NetGear WGR614 Wireless G router. I also used a Comcast Cable modem. My problem is that I do a lot of netmeeting confrence calls and remore assistance, and with a router I don't seem to have an external IP address.

When I look for IP address all I get is the internal router assigned IP addres that ends in .1 or .2 etc...

This makes it inmpossible to get someone to connect to my machine, even when I open every port and disable all firewall protection.

Is there a way to find what my external IP address is. If not, is there any software that can dynamiclly create one that I can give to someone to conenct to me?

PLEASE HELP.

The router is doing NAT. That is inside address are invalid (192.168 or 10.0 network) that are translated to one valid IP (WAN IP) probally given out by the router through DHCP. All of the workstations go on the internet as one IP. Check out your external IP by going to this web site: http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/ becareful of the popups. You need to do port mapping. You do that in your router. When a connection on a certain port on the external interface comes to your router (valid WAn IP), it is directed to a certain internal IP. I have setup POP3 or tcp/ip port 110 to be redirected to internal IP address 192.168.123.10. That means all traffic on that port is redirected to that internal IP. Thanks!
    "Computer, compute to the last digit the value of pi" -- Spock (Wolf in the Fold)

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

"Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' don't say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy
    "No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)

So, my intenrnal IP is 162.198.0.2. If I port forward all the used ports to this internal IP and give my external IP to a person, the router will send it the right way. I shouldn't have to worry about setting a static IP for my router then?

I'll try this. I was getting to the point of paying for the extra Static IP and connecting it to my second ethernet port.

Hmm, This means that only person person behind the router can use the same app at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by SirWise
    I have a NetGear WGR614 Wireless G router. I also used a Comcast Cable modem. My problem is that I do a lot of netmeeting confrence calls and remore assistance, and with a router I don't seem to have an external IP address.

When I look for IP address all I get is the internal router assigned IP addres that ends in .1 or .2 etc...

This makes it inmpossible to get someone to connect to my machine, even when I open every port and disable all firewall protection.

Is there a way to find what my external IP address is. If not, is there any software that can dynamiclly create one that I can give to someone to conenct to me?

PLEASE HELP.
    To get a free dynamic dns name associated with your IP you can see http://www.dyndns.org , there are also some other free services available
    For netmeeting you'll have to forward TCP ports 1503, 1720 and 1731 on your router's Internet interface to the IP address of your machine.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Go to www.grc.com and look for a product called shields up. Not only will it give your external IP address, (without popups), but may educate/scare you into keeping all ports closed at all times if not needed to be opened.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Quote Originally Posted by gazzak
    Go to www.grc.com and look for a product called shields up. Not only will it give your external IP address, (without popups), but may educate/scare you into keeping all ports closed at all times if not needed to be opened.

Oh I know, I have the router AND software firewall. Although I my drop the software on. It's amazing how many things the firewall stops when I read the log. And that's just while idle.

go get an account with no-ip.com and download their client. You can install it so that it starts with your computer. What it will do is attach your ip address to a domain name that you choose during setup. So instead of telling somebody to connect to 162.xx.xx.xx you will tell them to connect to sirwise.noip.com (or whatever it is that you pick).
    The next step is finding out what ip your actual computer has inside your network. To do so go to the command prompt (ms-dos prompt on older versions of windows) and type in ipconfig. If you only have one network card it will be the only ip that shows up. If you have more than one (or some virtual nic) then it will show a bunch of stuff. Just look for the 192.168.x.x number (most likely). That is the ip for your computer. Now go to the router and find the port forward section and forward all the ports mentioned by CeeBee to that ip address. If it has the option for listening port and destination port just leave both the same. For remote access (ie vnc or remote desktop) you need port 5900 (for vnc) and port 3389 (for remote desktop). Save the settings on the router and you should be good to go.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

as far as websites that tell you your WAN IP go there is IP Chicken.

http://www.ipchicken.com/

And do what Gollo said about no-ip.com, works great.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Some routers have built-in client for such dynamic dns services (mine has for dyndns and tzo) so you might want to check that too...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    Some routers have built-in client for such dynamic dns services (mine has for dyndns and tzo) so you might want to check that too...

Yea, I have tried to find out, but Netgear gets two thumbs down for customer support. I have been sending them E-mails for about a week now before i came to this forum, and still no reply.

Well Net gear has a article on common ports that you might want to look at. From their FAQ on port forwarding .They have a link to an article on Microsoft's site telling you how to setup netmeeting thru a firewall. from their FAQ's for your router.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

I use dydns.org for my home network. It is free and works great. NEVER PAY FOR STATIC IP! All you do have to load a client but they give you sites of free ones to download. Yes, you can have only one internal system per service. Such as web (80) and so forth. Have Fun!
    "Computer, compute to the last digit the value of pi" -- Spock (Wolf in the Fold)

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

"Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' don't say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy
    "No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)