Takes FOREVER to log in.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Takes FOREVER to log in....

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyLord
    Thank you so much for the replies! I resolved half the issue...

I went through and re-setup the DNS on the server, and on the client machine, pointed the DNS at the server, instead of our ISP's DSN. Everything seems to be peachy now... Login is quick, and internet connectivity is preserved.

HOWEVER: I still need to get the user settings transferred. When I go to the user settings dialoque, the Copy To option is greyed out. :/

Again, thanks for the replies, you've been a tremendous help
    Are you logged in as the local administrator? You can't be logged in as the new user, (that being the one you are copying to) and I don't suggest that you be logged in as the old user (the one copied from). Local administrator is the key here I think…

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom

Ya_know, if you look on the "root hint" tab, you should see a list of 13 enteries there. These are the "root" dns servers. With the root hints in place, the dns server will use recusive queries to resolve a host name rather then use a forwarder. If you've enabled forwarders, it will use this in preference to root hints.
    Yeah, I see that now, that's all there by default I guess...I have the forwards in right now, don't want to take that out until I have an empty building. Don't want to mess up someone’s day...I will see how that effects things one of these days. Thanks for the insight...

Well, it never mattered what i was logged in as... the account i wanted to copy from was ALWAYS grayed out.

It finally mended itself after logging in as that account, and rebooting the machine. For some reason, just rebooting while logged in as administrator (or any other account with admin privs) didn't work... I had to be logged in as THAT user, and reboot. Wierd? Intended functionality? I dunno.

Whatever the case, I was able to log in as the admin there after, and perform the Copy To without a problem.

Everything is peachy now.

I MIGHT play with using only the root hints, as suggested earlier... but maybe some other day, when I'm feeling a little more brave. ;P

I'd stick with Matt's suggestion to use the root hints. My idea, although seems to work, doesn't seem to be necessary. When I have a chance to test it out, I might even back out of the use of forwarders, if it proves functional...

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    I'd stick with Matt's suggestion to use the root hints. My idea, although seems to work, doesn't seem to be necessary. When I have a chance to test it out, I might even back out of the use of forwarders, if it proves functional...
    The reason I don't use forwarders is simple. You are now relying on the server that you are "forwarding" to, to do all the resolution. If that remote server goes down, you can only do internal name's resolution or resolve cached names. With root hints, you rely on no-one but yourself. I've always prefered to be self contained then to rely on someone else. I know my skills, I don't know that other persons skills or the reliability of his/her equipment.

The catch to all this is that under 2k/2k3 you must have either an AD integrated zone or a primary zone. if you have just a secondary zone, you must use forwarders.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    The reason I don't use forwarders is simple. You are now relying on the server that you are "forwarding" to, to do all the resolution. If that remote server goes down, you can only do internal name's resolution or resolve cached names. With root hints, you rely on no-one but yourself. I've always prefered to be self contained then to rely on someone else. I know my skills, I don't know that other persons skills or the reliability of his/her equipment.

The catch to all this is that under 2k/2k3 you must have either an AD integrated zone or a primary zone. if you have just a secondary zone, you must use forwarders.
    I have to agree with this, dont use forwarders if you dont have to, root hints works just fine, as to usersettings i do like this when switching server.

create new local user named temp.

log in as the user whom you wish to move, copy it to the local temp profile, change the permissions on the profile and grant permissions to local admin,

log off, log in as local admin, change to the new domain, log of,

log in as local admin, copy temp user profile to overwrite the new userprofile, change permissions to the new user.

Didnt read all the post so somebody might have told you something like this already....

/Mr T
    I read your e-mail........

Copying Profiles

To change profiles thru the registry you must be comfortable with the registry.

start|run|regedit|OK

hkey_local_machine|software|microsoft|windowsnt|cu rrentVersion|ProfileList

Expand Profile List then go thru all the profiles in the list. Find the two you need. The username and domain of the old profile then the username and domain of the profile of the new domain. On the profile for the new domain, highlight in the right pane the key for ProfileImagePath then right click and choose modify. All you have to do now is modify the the path to match the path for the old profile. See Below

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Administrator.domainx to
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Administrator.domainy

You could even use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" under "System Tools" to transfer user profiles to either the same computer or another computer.
    To each his/her own.

Mo-Lo - Make sure that when you are trying to copy the profile you are not logged in as the user you want to copy the profile to as several of the files you will be overwrighting will be in use.

You also may not be able to do it because the profiles are from NT 4.0.

You can also move the Favorites, Desktop and My Documents folders as well as any PST files and simply re-create the rest of the data if you find that you are completely powerless on migrating the profiles. (Personally I prefer this method as I like to take this opportunity to remove any non-standard apps and clean the registry.)

Hope this helps.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

This is the SOLUTION I found

HI all.
    After getting crazy for fours months here the solution to save you some pain.
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-111...sageID=2311170
    Once I've fould out that the workstation service was slowing the all start up / login process with windows XP.
    Here I am posting some considerations.
    First the problem appear as a very slow login after typing your passord prior the desktop to appear.
    The problem also appeared as an infinite need to repair continuously the connection (right clicking on the wireless icon) or often as inability to

connect wirelessly.

The SOLUTION to the problem "login to XP takes forever" is to remove any other software that manages the wireless card and let only the native Windows

Wireless Zero Configuration to handle it but the problem immediately desappear!!!.
    Once you unistall any other software excepts the drivers of the wireless card, you must go on control panel/network

connections/advanced/general/properties/wirelss network and click on Use
    Windows to configure my wireless network settings which will anable the native Windows Wireless Zero Configuration.

The problem is probably found in many computer that have the intel centrino chip set which uses the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection but

maybe is with any other wireless
    card that uses the intel software to manage.

Myself I did also utilize a second D-Link wireless card which was also utilizing its own software to manage and could work with the native Wireless Zero

Configuration) but it turned out because of the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless manager.
    Myself just to be safe I unistalled also the D-Link softwarebut is not really necessary.

TWO MORE IMPORTANT Considerations:
    THE PROBLEM DID NOT IMMEDIATELY GO AWAY!
    1)
    I had to reinstall (from an image I had) the entire operating system and then remove the Intel Wirelss manager from it.If I was not removing the Intel SW

the problem after few hours the problem reappeared (I restored the OS from the image like 30 times so I am certain).
    For many people the problem will go away immediately just unistalling the wirelss software but that was not my case.
    If you do not want to uninstall the operating system.you may go through a procedure to reset entirely the networking in your OS, I know there is a way to

do it but I never researched it.
    (Maybe all you need to do is to remove all network conncections by uninsalling all drivers I chose to restart with a new XP)

2)
    I utilize 2 wireless cards and I am having a second minor issue:
    IF I DISABLE the wireless switch of my Intel card and connect the 2nd one, the pc still says that there are network available on the 1st. In other words

the card is not entirely off. I use a brand new DELL LATITUDE D820. Maybe this is to avoid the Plug&Play procedure.
    As result I see two wireless icons on the bottom right when I only want one and altough the external DLINK says that is correctly connected to the

wireless network, Windows still seem to remain internally connected to the Intel one and as result will still be unable to see a webpage.
    In order to "connect" Windows to the correct external network card I must click on its repair button (right click on its icon) and then everything is

ok. Maybe this is another bug of the os which wouldn't come as a real surprise.
    I hope this all note will be useful to you and save you a lot of time.
    Good luck!
    PS
    If you find on the web that the prefetcher is the problem.. I think it is not true.