cable modem via usb to wireless network

Thread: cable modem via usb to wireless network

cable modem via usb to wireless network

Ive decided to go down the wireless network route, having had not much experience in the area, i brought a access point and two network adaptors, all wireless.

I have a usb/ethernet broadband modem originally the modem was through my network card.
    But due to the network card having only one input i made the quick choice to change the modem from ethernet to usb. Then from ethernet for my access point.
    From that i was able to share my internet connection.
    Now thats all done and dusted no problem, next job.

Sharing Files and Folders, a little more complicated;
    am i able to due both?
    I was able to get the other computer to see the files and folders but shared internet connection played up.....

Questions:
    1)
    I understand its quite vague but the short answer im looking for is can the network pick up usb modem via shared internet connection methods and share files and folders.
    2)
    I dont yet have a router preferring sharing instead. "problem?"
    3)
    Workgroups are same which is okey, "domain i dont understand?"
    4)
    error messege "the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"
    "access permissions"

System info:-

----- Both -----
    Windows Xp
    Wireless adapters
    Using same workgroup

--- Seperate ---
    File Systems: "ntfs" other "fat32" (issues?)
    Wireless Access Point (single)

I understand this may be a common question, but i have yet to see a solution, thanks

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Regards, Adam C

OK - question 1, short answer yes. Long answer, its about configuration and hair tearing.

Question 2, routers make life soooooooo much easier, but you can do what you are trying to do, see 1.

Question 3 Technically the word "domain" means anything within the broadcast area on your lan, but in this case it is talking about a domain controller, which you don't have.... you can ignore it.

Question 4 tells me you have told xp to look for a domain controller which you don't have....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    OK - question 1, short answer yes. Long answer, its about configuration and hair tearing.

Question 2, routers make life soooooooo much easier, but you can do what you are trying to do, see 1.
    Have to go with NooNoo here. Get a cable router and these problems are solved. Actually, at the stores here cable routers are cheaper than access points.

An actual router will give you true NAT on your network, instead of the bumped-up version in I.C.S. I have seen I.C.S. cause name resolution problems and other issues causing two machines sitting next to each other to not be able to access the other.

Good luck.

*lin*
    I actually voted for John Kerry, before I voted against him.