Printer Installation Without Admin Rights?

Thread: Printer Installation Without Admin Rights?

Question Printer Installation Without Admin Rights?

Here's a good one:

How could one install a printer on a local workstation logged in with a standard user account (no "add printer" rights) without using the admin account of the machine?

Preferably, doing so from the standard WinXP Pro user account would be ideal.

We've tried a few registry tricks, but no go.

Any ideas?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

run as?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

You're really thinking outside the box there. Kind of reminds me of the dude that was trying to mound a drive as the new system32 dir, relocate contents, then get windows to boot. It's like trick shots in billiards though...someone’s got to try something that most people say can't be done... Then when it works, collect your winnings…

I’ll bet 3 to 1 you can’t resolve this by the end of the week…

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    I’ll bet 3 to 1 you can’t resolve this by the end of the week…
    Yeah, the fact Adept had to ask increases the odds a bit as well. 5 to 1 perhaps?

I believe it is the installation of the driver that requires admin rights. I think if the driver is already installed, you can add the printer w/o admin rights.

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Here's a good one:

How could one install a printer on a local workstation logged in with a standard user account (no "add printer" rights) without using the admin account of the machine?

Preferably, doing so from the standard WinXP Pro user account would be ideal.

We've tried a few registry tricks, but no go.

Any ideas?
    There are some ways to do it:

Start -> Run - MMC - >
    Add the Group policy snap in
    Go To User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Printers

Now if this system is running on a Domain you will need to make these changes on the Domain Controller for the User Groups that you want to have this access privilege.

I have not tested this on Win XP but it did the trick in Win 2K.

This ones an easy one. You will first have to log into the box as admin then go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative tools>Local Security Settings>Double Click Local Policies (to Expand it) then click User Rights Assignments in the Right window under Policy scroll down to Load and Unload device drivers Double click it then Add either the user to that policy or the group that the user is in. Here at work we put all users in the Power Users Group so I will add the power user group to this policy. Now all you have to do is log out of the box let the user log in and that person can load ANY drivers he she wants. If you add a Group to this policy who ever is in that group that logs into the box will also be able to load drivers. One last note this is the way it is done in Windows 2000 if I remember right it is done the same way in XP.
    Growing up I've spent half of my money on Fast cars, fast women and Booze the other half I just wasted!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll forward this to our AD guru and see what he can use.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Home of the 2004 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo69
    This ones an easy one. You will first have to log into the box as admin then go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative tools>Local Security Settings>Double Click Local Policies (to Expand it) then click User Rights Assignments in the Right window under Policy scroll down to Load and Unload device drivers Double click it then Add either the user to that policy or the group that the user is in. Here at work we put all users in the Power Users Group so I will add the power user group to this policy. Now all you have to do is log out of the box let the user log in and that person can load ANY drivers he she wants. If you add a Group to this policy who ever is in that group that logs into the box will also be able to load drivers. One last note this is the way it is done in Windows 2000 if I remember right it is done the same way in XP.

Yup. Same