Repair WinXP or ??

Thread: Repair WinXP or ??

Repair WinXP or ??

A few nights ago I somehow got into a nest of spyware that had both Ad-aware and PestPatrol working overtime trying to control. This morning I ran a scan with PestPatrol to clean out the varmits...there were many. After cleaning out the offending pests, I restarted the computer, per the PestPatrol's instructions. I lost all networking functionality (either going out to the Internet or trying to see another computer on my peer-to-peer hookup). Subsequently running WinSockFix.exe brought back TCP/IP functionality. However...

I'm set up to work in a domain so I connect via a tunnel to my company's servers in New Mexico. My TCP/IP problem, although now running again, still plagues me with respect to connecting with Outlook to their e-mail server. It just doesn't seem to stay connected properly. I'm thinking about running a repair for WinXP, but don't know whether it will screw up the domain setup. Is it a problem?

My company is running a Windows 2000 server. I once tried re-installing the O/S (WinXP) on another computer like mine, connecting via a tunnel to the server 1500 miles away. It's a "Catch-22"...without the domain name, the tunnel wouldn't connect, but the domain has to be present to install WinXP with a domain. The tunneling software doesn't work in DOS, so the box had to be hauled to New Mexico and re-installed while networked to the server. I wish I knew another way in case I blow it.

When it comes to my e-mail, if I close Outlook and the tunnel, then re-open the tunnel, then Outlook, everything works the first time. Outlook establishes itself with the Exchange Server and mail is transferred both ways. However, when Outlook re-establishes itself with the Exchange Server a second time, the whole system hangs and Outlook finally reports that it cannot find the Exchange Server. Because of that, I figure I have no choice by to try performing a repair on WinXP. I even uninstalled Outlook and re-installed it, with no luck.

One last thing...I'm running Ad-watch 6.0 and PestPatrol 4.3. I've had Ad-watch running without a problem for nearly a year. I just put PestPatrol on two or three weeks ago, but I didn't have any problems until I was using PestPatrol the middle of last week to remove that bunch of spyware/adware. After removal, when PestPatrol told me to reboot, is when all hell broke loose with the TCP/IP problem and now this with Outlook.

Right now, I'm all out of ideas...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

Why is the fix the first thing that should have been tried? I focused too much on the TCP/IP problem, where the problem actually happened to be in the tunneling software...

After resetting TCP/IP per a MSKB article, reinstalling Outlook, etc., etc., I removed, rebooted, then reinstalled the tunneling software. Problem solved. I need a drink...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

Me too....after just reading your post
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666