How to locate all files of an installed program?

Thread: How to locate all files of an installed program?

Hybrid View

How to locate all files of an installed program?

Is there a utility available that can help you find all the installed files of a particular program such as dll files installed into the system folder etc?

I have often found that when planning on re-formatting a drive many people do not have all of their original software anymore especially for programs downloaded from the net.
    In the past I have been able to transfer the program folder to another computer on the network and then attempt to run the program, note what dll files it says are missing, and then transfer them across also before wiping the drive. However this is only possible when you can set the program up on another comp which isnt always the case.
    Is there an easier way to do this?

I just transfer the whole drive to a folder on the network or another local drive etc.

then when it asks for that .dll or whatever, I do a find files and grab it from the backup location and copy it to the same path on the new drive.

that is if a reinstall of the program over top of itself doesn't do the trick first.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

I just transfer the whole drive to a folder on the network or another local drive etc.

then when it asks for that .dll or whatever, I do a find files and grab it from the backup location and copy it to the same path on the new drive that is if a reinstall of the program over top of itself doesn't do the trick first.
    Yeah: reinstall is bestest.This is NOT dos. Rarely do programs work if you copy the folder. There are a few exceptions where all the necessary .dll's etc are already in place (MS Works is one that I recall). Nowadays, programs put soooo much into the system or system32 folder that all the stuff you are asking for is nothing but TOOOOO much time spent! Back in the day there were programs which "could"...sometimes...migrate entire programs to another drive/system. Those days are past, and utility programs, for the most part, do not offer that "tool" anylonger, for good reason.
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; February 16th, 2004 at 11:19 PM.

You can sometimes back up a program through Norton Cleansweep or move it with one of the older versions of Partition Magic that included the old Magic Mover utility, but I wouldn't bet large sums of money on it.

In many cases, downloaded software can be re-downloaded if the customer contacts the company, and many vendors are willing to supply replacement CDs cheap but they may just have to buy some replacements. That way, no one gets any unrealistic expectations, and you don't get caught in the middle.