CCNA or MCSE

Thread: CCNA or MCSE

CCNA or MCSE

I am about to go take one of those Intense Training Network bootcamps. I was wondering if anyone here is in the Networking line of work, maybe even a manager. I'm from NJ/NYC area.

No, I'm not looking for a job, I am looking for advice. What is more in demand in the job market at the moment, someone with MCSE or someone with CCNA. I am unsure of which one to take first.

I would like any advice I can get.

Take the CCNA first. It's not that hard and it's shorter. It's also an excellent foundation in networking.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Forget the boot camps. They teach you how to regurgitate information for a test, if you wait to long to take the tests, you forget everything. As far as jobs, experience is the only thing that is solid. Certifications only show a certain commitment to the knowledge, but experience shows you know how to use it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Forget the boot camps. They teach you how to regurgitate information for a test, if you wait to long to take the tests, you forget everything. As far as jobs, experience is the only thing that is solid. Certifications only show a certain commitment to the knowledge, but experience shows you know how to use it...

The boot camps give you the exam at the end of it. And what you are saying is a Catch 22. Experience is much better than a certifacation, but no one will higher you to get experience without the certification.

Ya_Know is right. Instead of spending the money on a boot camp, spend the money on a lab and some good books. You can find some really nice, really cheap hardware on Ebay.

I had an interview once right after I got my CCNA. The guy asked me 'what's the syntax for NATing an interface with an overload?' I didn't know. I studied to pass a test and not to run the router. But, you type those commands 15 or 20 times and bam, they're in your head to stay.
    Last edited by silencio; February 17th, 2004 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    Ya_Know is right. Instead of spending the money on a boot camp, spend the money on a lab and some good books. You can find some really nice, really cheap hardware on Ebay.

I had an interview once right after I got my CCNA. The guy asked me 'what's the syntax for NATing an interface with an overload?' I didn't know. I studied to pass a test and not to run the router. But, you type those commands 15 or 20 times and bam, they're in your head to stay.

Well, The boot camp price is $2,200. What would you suggest buying to be able to effectively study hands on myself?

Quote Originally Posted by SirWise
    Well, The boot camp price is $2,200. What would you suggest buying to be able to effectively study hands on myself?
    Here's one from a quick search on ebay for Cisco Lab.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=28033

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    Here's one from a quick search on ebay for Cisco Lab.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=28033

I see that item didn't sell. I might contact the seller and see if I can buy it anyway. I have been looking on E-bay, but there are SO MANY sales with different ammounts of routers and switches that I am not sure what I'll need. I want something that is good enough to carry me through CCNP as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

I was looking at that one. How does that compare to the link that you gave me before. I want to have everything I need, but I don't want to have to much of what I won't need either.

Thanks for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by SirWise
    I see that item didn't sell. I might contact the seller and see if I can buy it anyway. I have been looking on E-bay, but there are SO MANY sales with different ammounts of routers and switches that I am not sure what I'll need. I want something that is good enough to carry me through CCNP as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

I was looking at that one. How does that compare to the link that you gave me before. I want to have everything I need, but I don't want to have to much of what I won't need either.

Thanks for all your help.
    Wow! I would donate my left testicle to science to be able to afford that setup and have the time to invest in training on it. I would buy it only if you are self motivated enough to study on your own and actually put effort into it. I liked the boot camp I went to for my MCSE because I did learn things that helped me do better at my job and it was well organized with set times to take each test so I couldn't procrastinate. Some instructors are only there to prep you for a test however I actually had one that showed us how to do the tasks we were to be tested over which helped out a lot.
    I'm a rage-aholic! I just can't live without rage-ahol! -Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by ironwill99
    Wow! I would donate my left testicle to science to be able to afford that setup and have the time to invest in training on it. I would buy it only if you are self motivated enough to study on your own and actually put effort into it. I liked the boot camp I went to for my MCSE because I did learn things that helped me do better at my job and it was well organized with set times to take each test so I couldn't procrastinate. Some instructors are only there to prep you for a test however I actually had one that showed us how to do the tasks we were to be tested over which helped out a lot.

Well, before this post I just managed to save enough for a CCNA boot camp. THat in it self was $2,500 for 5 days. I have been trying to take this for 3 years. Now that i have that much saved, the amout for the lab seems to be nothing. I will be motivated that's for sure. After this, there is MCSE I want to take, but there doesn't seem to be any lab for that. Not sure how the self study will go.

I'm not sure if you can take the time but, I took all my CCNA stuff at a local junior college and it only cost around $1,000 with books. The time to complete the course did take the Fall and Spring semesters. What is really cool is that Cisco is really involved in these courses and it's part of what they call the Cisco Academy. The best part, from what i have heard, is that most of the colleges are setup with all the lab equipment there for you to practice what you have learned. It definely is worth it in my opinion,besides if you pass the course with a high enough grade you get 50% off the CCNA test. If you want to check it out here is the link. Also ,the test was a breeze after taking the course.

http://cisco.netacad.net/public/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Boston
    I'm not sure if you can take the time but, I took all my CCNA stuff at a local junior college and it only cost around $1,000 with books. The time to complete the course did take the Fall and Spring semesters. What is really cool is that Cisco is really involved in these courses and it's part of what they call the Cisco Academy. The best part, from what i have heard, is that most of the colleges are setup with all the lab equipment there for you to practice what you have learned. It definely is worth it in my opinion,besides if you pass the course with a high enough grade you get 50% off the CCNA test. If you want to check it out here is the link. Also ,the test was a breeze after taking the course.

http://cisco.netacad.net/public/index.html

I thought about it. I can't dedicate that much of my time running to class. I have a daughter and a job and I can do it. It's one thing if I can get somoene to watch her for 5 days to go to a boot camp, it's another when it's 2 days a week for a year.