auto disconnect from network
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: auto disconnect from network

auto disconnect from network

anyone experience win98se auto-disconnect from network; the pc does not restart but the login user will self-disconnect from the network it seems to happen once a day at random timing. I've install the lastest patches; perform a virus scan & scan for ad-ware using ad-ware 6 but this problem still exist. I've not install any program pior to this problem. Any advise? Thanks in advance

Could be hardware, NIC faulty, Cable faulty, hub/switch issue.

Are you using power saving options on this PC? Sometimes cards will disconnect when the PC goes into standby and they won't always reconnect.

Power save?

Have you checked the nic properties to make sure power saving is disabled?

the power saving mode has been turned off i try to connect to other switches but the problem still persist

Quote Originally Posted by kababoom
    the power saving mode has been turned off i try to connect to other switches but the problem still persist
    What power saving mode was turned off, and what "other switches" are you talking about? Give us some more details on this problem so we can stop guessing, alright? What kind of network: P2P or domain or whatever, and what are the hardware details on the pc in question?

it is only connected to a network switch & i've reconnect to another similar switch to test; it is connected to a domain but there are no changes being made to this a/c as the user can log into the network on another terminal without experiencing this issue so it boils down to just this specific terminal which has not made any recent changes including installation of hw & sw recently
    Last edited by kababoom; February 19th, 2004 at 09:44 PM.

I'd say replace cable in the first instance, if that doesn't cure it try setting the media speed, rather than auto select. 100 Mbps half-duplex would be a good start.

If that doesn't work, try a different network card in it.

Question I have the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by kababoom
    anyone experience win98se auto-disconnect from network; the pc does not restart but the login user will self-disconnect from the network it seems to happen once a day at random timing. I've install the lastest patches; perform a virus scan & scan for ad-ware using ad-ware 6 but this problem still exist. I've not install any program pior to this problem. Any advise? Thanks in advance
    I have a client with the same issue.. I haven't investigated the issue... I'm thinking a patch instal in the culprit..

Quote Originally Posted by timothyj98
    I have a client with the same issue.. I haven't investigated the issue... I'm thinking a patch instal in the culprit..
    Welcome to WinDrivers timothyj98. Why do you think this is a patch install issue? Something you know that we don't? Clue us in, huh.

Question self-disconnect issue

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Welcome to WinDrivers timothyj98. Why do you think this is a patch install issue? Something you know that we don't? Clue us in, huh.

The only change in the pc was lastest downloads from MS and virus updates. No hardware changes. The pc is used to monitor a simple security door cam system. I'm the only one that updates anything on the pc.. Again, I have not investigated the actual file structure changes.. As a quick fix, I may just pull a backup image and see if the problem is fixed.. This just started to happen within a two week period. Now as you, I'm getting calls on daily random self-disconnects.

Quote Originally Posted by timothyj98
    The only change in the pc was lastest downloads from MS and virus updates. No hardware changes. The pc is used to monitor a simple security door cam system. I'm the only one that updates anything on the pc.. Again, I have not investigated the actual file structure changes.. As a quick fix, I may just pull a backup image and see if the problem is fixed.. This just started to happen within a two week period. Now as you, I'm getting calls on daily random self-disconnects.
    If you investigate and don't go for the quick fix, let us know what you find out. It's always good to know. MS has a habit, as we all know, of breaking things from the door.

Only time I ever saw this, (similar), turned out to be a simple patch cable replacement, but I'm sure you'll have tried this already. Patch cable in question was fine at 10mbps, but when network was upgraded to 100mbps became a problem.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Thumbs up Problem seemed to disappear

Quote Originally Posted by gazzak
    Only time I ever saw this, (similar), turned out to be a simple patch cable replacement, but I'm sure you'll have tried this already. Patch cable in question was fine at 10mbps, but when network was upgraded to 100mbps became a problem.
    This problem seemed to disappear after checking cable connections.. I had the owner keep logs when the computer disconnected.. None since the physical check of the cable connections. All software logs looked good.. Sorry it took so long to get back to this issue had a couple of friends with nasty viruses..

Talking Constant disconnects using Citrix

Has anyone heard of a problem with consant disconnects while using Citrix on Windows XP machines? We thought it might me a issue with the Power Management and/or conflicting with Group Policy. I have tested to find out that if you make the user a 'Local Admin' of their own box, you can adjust the Power Management options and the user does not get kicked out..but of course we do not want the user in that group. Any suggestions?

Note: We are running Windows XP Pro w/SP1 and all critical updates and all the latest drivers from Comaq D530 SFF.

Quote Originally Posted by temp
    Has anyone heard of a problem with consant disconnects while using Citrix on Windows XP machines? We thought it might me a issue with the Power Management and/or conflicting with Group Policy. I have tested to find out that if you make the user a 'Local Admin' of their own box, you can adjust the Power Management options and the user does not get kicked out..but of course we do not want the user in that group. Any suggestions?

Note: We are running Windows XP Pro w/SP1 and all critical updates and all the latest drivers from Comaq D530 SFF.
    Welcome to windrivers Temp.

As for your issue, i'm not sure what would be causing it. Is it just xp clients? Are 2k clients connecting fine?

What error do you get when your disconnected?
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans