Domain Hopping

Thread: Domain Hopping

Domain Hopping

I should know this but can't remember for the life of me.

I have a Windows 2000 pro laptop that I now have to login to 2 different domains regularly. What would be the easiest way for me to change my settings each time? Both domains use dhcp, both have completely different IP ranges and domain names.

About to use netswitcher utility but I know there's a better way with Windows 2000, just can't find it right now, (bad day)!!

Any help or general abuse welcome
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Domain trusting is the solution to your problem. Otherwise the answer is NO.

From Netswitcher FAQ:
    Can NetSwitcher make my NT4, Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro be a part of more than one NT DOMAIN?
    [...]Strictly speaking, the answer is NO, your Windows workstation can be a member of EXACTLY 0 or 1 NT DOMAIN at any time. If you are a member of a domain and you reconfigure for a workgroup or another domain, your ability to logon the old domain is lost until the workstation is re-joined.
    Last edited by CeeBee; February 18th, 2004 at 08:15 AM.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

We have multiple domains in use where I work and all I have done is to drop the domain box down when logging on to pick the doamin I want to get into. You may just be able to reboot to get into the different domain since they both use dhcp.

If your looking to switch domains on the fly I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    We have multiple domains in use where I work and all I have done is to drop the domain box down when logging on to pick the doamin I want to get into.
    That's because there is a trust relationship established between those domains.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    That's because there is a trust relationship established between those domains.
    Or it is a child domain (still trusted within the same forest). I do not know of any way.
    "Computer, compute to the last digit the value of pi" -- Spock (Wolf in the Fold)

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

"Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' don't say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy
    "No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)