A minor A7V8X-X problem

Thread: A minor A7V8X-X problem

A minor A7V8X-X problem

I have a minor problem which is more anoying than serious. I have an Asus A7V8X-X board, an AMD Barton 2600+ and Kingston Value Ram (1G) in 2 sticks. Using XP Pro. The problem is this. When I shut down the system it goes into (soft shutoff) ie the USB devices are still powered up. I use a UPS for the computer and monitor, as power out here has been known to be a bit eratic in stormy weather. When I shut down the computer and shut down the power supply all appears to be well. When I start the system it boots and reboots as described in the Asus manual which is supposed to be an indication of an improperly shut down system. About half the time at startup some of my USB devices are not recognised, in particular the Acom 6 in 1 media card reader. After a second reboot, then all is well. I have studied the manual as well as Asus and Acom's faqs. I haven't found any solution to the anoyance. The computer works fine, other than that. Am I missing someting in the setup, or is there another procedure for shutting down including a power down.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Jim

Jim:
    I looked on the ASUS website, I haven't worked with the A7V8X-X at all but it looks like a good mainboard. I notice it has quite an array of special features such as Power Loss Restart and CPU Overheating Protection. Just reading the specs it seemed quite likely to me that the behavior you describe could be caused by one of these features.

I'm assuming you're not shutting off the UPS, or not shutting it off before the PC completely shuts itself down anyway. Are you powering off whatever power source your other devices use? If so could this have anything to do with the sequence you power things up in?

Presuming the PC shuts itself all the way down normally and you have everything powered on before you start the PC I see two possibilities. One is that your software is configured to go into standby rather than shut down. I haven't used XP much yet so I'm not familiar with the power management utilities and settings. In Win 2K these settings are in Control Panel under Power Options. Disable standby and hibernate type settings if any appear to be enabled.

The other possibility is a BIOS configuration issue. Before I read up on the board I was thinking that you might have some settings in your BIOS related to wake up, resume, or power on that might be active after the PC shuts down so that when (if) you physically interrupt power, something gets confused.

I'd look for anything in your BIOS settings like power on by mouse or wake on lan, etc... and disable that. Additionally I'd look in to those Power Loss Restart and CPU Overheating Protection settings mentioned ablve. I've no idea what they are but they sound like something that could potentially be getting in the way.
    If it's true that wherever you go, there you are: how come so many people look lost?

Thanks, I'll recheck all that and get back to you.
    Jim

I rechecked all settings and disabled hybernation. This aparently had no effect on the situation. When shut down with the front power button, it goes into soft shutdown and the lan port and the usb ports remain powered up. It is my conclusion that the board is normally intended to be at least partially powered up all the time. I guess that I will just the UPS on all the time and accept the soft power down, unles someone has a better idea.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jaimicook
    I rechecked all settings and disabled hybernation. This aparently had no effect on the situation. When shut down with the front power button, it goes into soft shutdown and the lan port and the usb ports remain powered up. It is my conclusion that the board is normally intended to be at least partially powered up all the time. I guess that I will just the UPS on all the time and accept the soft power down, unles someone has a better idea.
    Jim
    I have the same board as you, cept it has the 2500. I'm not experiencing any of the problems that you are, but I don't have a UPS either.

I know if you press the power button for less the 4 seconds it will go into a "soft power off". If you press for more than 4 seconds it shuts right down.

Also, as mentioned above, there are the setting in bios for a "wake up by mouse", keyboard, lan etc and the how to resume if loss of power.

That's about all the info I have, maybe someone can be more helpful.

But the board does seem to be a good one for me so far....

maybee in the bios settings

Quote Originally Posted by jaimicook
    I have a minor problem which is more anoying than serious. I have an Asus A7V8X-X board, an AMD Barton 2600+ and Kingston Value Ram (1G) in 2 sticks. Using XP Pro. The problem is this. When I shut down the system it goes into (soft shutoff) ie the USB devices are still powered up. I use a UPS for the computer and monitor, as power out here has been known to be a bit eratic in stormy weather. When I shut down the computer and shut down the power supply all appears to be well. When I start the system it boots and reboots as described in the Asus manual which is supposed to be an indication of an improperly shut down system. About half the time at startup some of my USB devices are not recognised, in particular the Acom 6 in 1 media card reader. After a second reboot, then all is well. I have studied the manual as well as Asus and Acom's faqs. I haven't found any solution to the anoyance. The computer works fine, other than that. Am I missing someting in the setup, or is there another procedure for shutting down including a power down.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Jim
    You could try to sisable all power option on the bios setur, including the soft power off. Also, make shure you have enabled suport for usb mouse and keyboard in the Bios also. Thats for shure something like that, the only other option are bad ups drivers.

Hope i was of some help; i also have one of those mobos and i am happy with it, no problems at all.

Greetings from the country of Sun (its cold today)

There are jumpers on this board that enable and disable devices that are on when the unit is "off". Looking the manual for inforamtion about USB: 5V or 5V standby. There are jumpers that enable the Keyboard, lan, usb and other devices to run on standby voltage or the normal 5 volt rail. This allows wake on lan, wake on keyboard, wake on usb to work.

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...61_a7n8x-x.pdf

Info on page 1-10

Quote Originally Posted by peterpam
    You could try to sisable all power option on the bios setur, including the soft power off. Also, make shure you have enabled suport for usb mouse and keyboard in the Bios also. Thats for shure something like that, the only other option are bad ups drivers.

Hope i was of some help; i also have one of those mobos and i am happy with it, no problems at all.

Greetings from the country of Sun (its cold today)