Error 1722 Norton Internet Security 2004
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Error 1722 Norton Internet Security 2004

Error 1722 Norton Internet Security 2004

Hi,

I receive an error message when trying to install Norton Internet Security 2004. The error message reads:

Error 1722: There is a problem with the windows installer package. A program ran as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

I have tried everything that symantec describes to fix this error, but nothing has worked.

Has anyone elso had this problem before?

Cheers

Paul

Not sure of the error message itself but I've had similar with a pre sp1 install of xp - uninstalling & patching before re-applying sorted it (had to go searching for temporary files though which appeared to be the problem !)

This is what I think it is (though by the looks you've already tried this ?)

What o/s is this ?

I'm trying to install this on a win98 machine. With reference to your link I have tried all those suggestions.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul.rowling
    I'm trying to install this on a win98 machine. With reference to your link I have tried all those suggestions.

Cheers

Paul
    ... however did you go get the updated MS installer ? Its shipped in patches with xp & 2000, but not I think for 98

Just confirm its present even if you did

Hi confus-ed,

I did update with the latest ms installer. How do I confirm the version which is now installed as it seemed to install very quickly!

Cheers

Paul

You wanted this, I re-installed on a 98 box to check for you & it took 20 seconds or so to complete, I dunno how you can check its 'taken' correctly ...

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    I had the same error message when installing Norton Antivirus 2004 a month ago. I went to the page that confus-ed linked to and installed the windows installer. I don't remember how long it took but I don't think is was very long. After that the Norton went in fine.

Maybe the ms installer has installed ok then, but either way the problem still remains.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    If a simple install of the msi installer failed then go to this link at Symantec and follow the directions. HERE>

Hi Techs,

I've tried all those suggestions already. Any other ideas?

Do we have multiple users ?
    The Temp folder for the currently logged-on user displays
    Maybe duplicates still ?

Next stop judicious regedit searches ... something thinks its still installed, somewhere...

How about, don't use norton? Heh, but seriously. I had some problems with installing it the other day. I don't remember the exact error code but it wouldn't install on win98. So....um... I can't remember the filenames... oh... that's it I restore imagehlp.dll from the win cd with SFC... and I had to re-register...um... what was it.... I used regsvr32 to reregister a stupid file but I can't remember the name...grrr I can't remember and looking through nortons POS webbie isn't helping me remember... maybe the dll thing will work for you....
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Hi I'm very new here. But I received this same problem Only I have Windows XP. And those downloads won't work for XP. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by mobius
    Hi I'm very new here. But I received this same problem Only I have Windows XP. And those downloads won't work for XP. Any ideas?
    So welcome to windrivers Mobius

First thing to be aware of is that the installer we were waffling about ought to be already present in xp (it ships with version 2 already installed - BUT some products won't 'know' that & may overwrite the installer or part of it) so to 'be sure' go Here @ ms & get that .. the worst it'll do is say its already present (there may be 'more to it' than that but I need to know what version of xp you have & whether it was originally installed as 'upgrade' or 'clean')

Then you want to follow the instructions linked to by Techs for every user

However is this xp 'home' or 'pro' ? there's differences in how permissions are dealt with & allocated in the first place that the 'idiots' at Norton don't seem to completely understand & so wrote a 'pants' install routine for & also is it a clean install or upgrade {of xp}?

i also have a norton 2004 error but its entirly diferent

[SIZE=3]i haev the error message for norton 2004 when i try to install or uninstall it. its sort of half way there. the message reads "a norton internet security acount with supervisor access must be logged in to uninstall this product. if norton internet security is not running, click the start menu, select norton internet security, and log in. setup will now close.'' thats a long mesage i know but i had norton installed fine then 1 day it came up with a message saying i needed to uninstall and reinstall norton. i uninstalled it and then my computer froze. i restarted it and there was norton still there but half of the software was entirly missing. i get the same erroe message when i click thing in the program like the options menu and live update. come on guys i realy need a hand and would hate to think i typed this silly post for no reason.