Firewire IEEE 1394a card drivers

Thread: Firewire IEEE 1394a card drivers

Firewire IEEE 1394a card drivers

I recently purchased a firewire card and installed it into the actual computer. My problem is I don't have the drivers for it, they didnt come with them and there is no manufacturers website. Can any1 tell me where or how to obtain the needed drivers? I have windows xp home ed.
    Last edited by tmac4prez; February 21st, 2004 at 06:34 PM.

Welcome to WinDrivers tmac.

Are you sure the card needs drivers? Firewire has been native in Windows since 98.

Is there an IEEE1394a device shown in the Device Manager? Or a device Windows doesn't recognise?

A Firewire 1394a card should be OHCI compliant and work with Windows own Firewire driver.
    Last edited by Platypus; February 21st, 2004 at 10:16 PM.

In the device manager there is, "VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host controller" under IEEE 1394 Bus Host controllers......under disk drives there's "Apple Conputer_Inc. Ipod IEEE 1394 SBP2 device".......then there's "SBP2 Compliant IEEE 1394 device" under SBP2 Compliant IEEE 1394 devices....there's "1394 Net Adapter" under network adapters.....and there's other devices with a yellow question mark and it says "PCI device"......When I go into Add Hardware, It says the 1394 Net Adapter is working properly, but when I try to add the PCI device(with yellow question mark) is says "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary hardware." The VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host controller says its working properly, so does the apple computer one, and the SBP2 one. So it seems its the question mark one that says PCI Device is the problem i guess and I was told I need drivers or something of that nature. Can you help me?

So it seems its the question mark one that says PCI Device is the problem i guess and I was told I need drivers or something of that nature. Can you help me
    Well yeah ... but we need to figure out whats short of drivers &/or not recognised correctly.

Can you tell us what classification heading is showing with these yellow exclamation marks & what windows thinks they are now & any reasons it shows for not working ...?

Confirm for us what machine this is in (make & model, or a list of 'kit' if its a home build) - whether you've been to windows update & applied all patches & since this looks like its on a VIA chipset motherboard whether you've been here to ViaArena & got the 'hyperion' (4-in-1s) chipset drivers.

Anything you don't 'get' please ask

Yes, it does look like your Firewire setup is normal and as confus-ed says, something else needs sorting out. One query, when you thought the Firewire needed a driver, is it actually working for you? Does the iPod connection work?

The VIA reference in your listing would be the Firewire chip, but the Motherboard chipset may well also be VIA & need drivers. Do you have any CD that belongs with the system/motherboard?

I'm a little confused with what your asking but I'll try to give you what i can. First off the reason I got this firewire was for an Ipod. Now the thing is when I turn on my computer it recognizes the ipod which is kind of strange. It says ipod detected software needs to be installed. I don't know what cd for the motherboard would be. But somthing has to be working. Right now I have windows Xp it has been upgraded to that. I have amd athalon and 248 mb of ram. When I first put the firewire in my computer I would get a message when I turned on my computer saying "Welcome to Found New Hardware Wizard".....I don't have an installation cd so I choose "install software automatically." So it tries to install it and it says "hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software." When I go into add hardware it says PCI device "drivers for this device are not installed (code 28). Now all of those things I listed in the previous message are in device manager and they say working properly and when I click finish it doesnt take me to the update screen. So I'm guessing something needs to be done with that PCI device. It has a large yellow question mark and a small exclamation point. I don't know if it's missing drivers or maybe I need to uninstall all of the new stuff and reinstall or what. It's just weird how the computer detected the ipod through the firewire.

I found this site http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/i...support.html#2 and if you scroll down it gives a list of drivers. I don't even know if they allpy to me though. But I got 1394bus.sys, ducam.inf, dvcam.sys, ohci1394.sysm and I couldnt get usb001.exe....................I don't know if they would be of any help.

Right to 'un-confuse' you of our purpose (though that might not be so if I explain it )..

What we are trying to establish is just what's in task manager that should be & what oughtn't - certainly NOTHING wants to show with any exlamation marks or crosses

I don't know what cd for the motherboard would be.
    Ah but I do as does Platypus ... depending on your motherboard & its chipset (its 'inards' - the bit that does the 'clever' stuff) windows xp needs 'chipset patches' which correct variations in this 'cleverness' so that windows can work properly - there's a great long load of techo babble to do with this, but not required here.

This 'patch' comes on either the motherboards 'drivers' cd or is generally available for download (you need to quote the motherboard brand & model for us to help, or the manufacturere & model of the computer, if pre-built).. it corrects how windows distributes resources - & thus will 'most likely' impact on what you are experiencing now - by the looks the firewire card is getting found more than once ... something 'new' anyway has appeared.

It's a Compaq Presario. The model is 5108us. As I stated before, I'm currently running windows xp home edition.

Ok so have you visted here@compaq (well its actually at HP now they 'merged' ) there's several patches there that might help (though no direct chipset patches {for the motherboards chipset}but I do think what it calls the ROMPaq {a bios update} may very well help)...

A question in general: Man I hate compaq - what bloody chipset do these boards have ? Compaq Presario 5108us product details .... I shall pressume that the absence of any chipset patch on the downloads page says we don't need one (but I ain't completely convinced- so can a more diligent ggogler than I confirm please )

Reviewing all this though I'm sure (as per ) I may be confusing matters
    (you probably want most of the patches I pointed at anyway) ... but at the moment we seem to need some drivers for our 'unknown' pci device (which I suspect ain't anything at all to do with firewire) & I suspect we might not have iTunes to take care of the output/input once windows has seen what it has connected (which it apparently does already ?)