CDROM Tray Belt

Thread: CDROM Tray Belt

CDROM Tray Belt

well have a interesting problem. Which probly started two years ago. One of My Customers called in saying his cdrom drive will not open and so He restarted the computer. So I went out on site and found that the Belt that opens the Drive up was broke. No problem Replayed The CDROM drive booted the system. Checked everything out and left.
    About 9 months later the same customer called saying almost the same thing. Drive will not open. ("thats weird" ran threw my head") So went out on sited and found the same thing, CD Rom tray Belt broken. Talked to customer for a little bit asking him how much he used the drive, which was not much. How he open and closed the drive Etc... So being the drive was under warranty I replaced it again, but this time with a different make.
    Then four months ago he calles again saying its doing it again. Went out replaced the drive. ask him if he was having any other problems with the computer which was no. Two months ago same thing. and today. every time its the same thing the belt that drives the cdrom tray is broke. and closer look at the broken belt it is all cracked and brittle.
    the room is on the Third Floor, The heat is set to a conforable temp. its not a very dirty enviroment, The computer runs all week and gets shut down on friday. and turned back on Monday. No Cds are stored in the drive. he presses the eject button to open and close the drive. I have tried 4 different brands of drives in this computer.
    The only thing I can think of is there is a Ozone Purfier in the room that is turned up all the way. I whould like to blame that but I don't know anoth what ozone will do, to be able to point the finger.

all the alarms in my head are saying its the eviroment. But maybe I am missing something. Any Sugestion would be helpful.

Is he using some kind of compressed air to clean the Drive perhaps? Maybe the Propellant is damaging the drive belt? *Shrugs* Thats a weird one for sure..
    W

Quote Originally Posted by Diver01
    Is he using some kind of compressed air to clean the Drive perhaps? Maybe the Propellant is damaging the drive belt? *Shrugs* Thats a weird one for sure..
    Very good question. Did not think about that. I Don't think he has used a can of air on the system, with looking at the entry points for air flow. I Don't this he is doing this on purphase. His office helpers are just having a fiel Day with this. And this last time He said if I had a old 40x drive that would be ok to install. He also finds it very odd and does noth think its the computer. He is thinking its must be something he is doing. Which with talking with him I cannot find any Flaws in how he is using the drive. I used my Cdrom drives hard than he does.

Perhaps he's using the CD cleaning fluid a bit too liberally and excess is spun off onto the belt?

I recall using a synthetic lube on my MTB suspension only to see the rubber bushings get eaten up.

If you see that the rubber is frayed and brittle, I'd look into a chemical interaction first.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

This happened to me last year....3 belts in 3 months. I moved him to an aluminium case with better cooling fans (kinda wanted the case anyway) and when the temps went down.....the dry rotting of the belts stopped. The heat inside the case was too much.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by deseqer
    The only thing I can think of is there is a Ozone Purfier in the room that is turned up all the way. I whould like to blame that but I don't know anoth what ozone will do, to be able to point the finger.

all the alarms in my head are saying its the eviroment. But maybe I am missing something. Any Sugestion would be helpful.
    Ozone may very well be the culprit. Ozone is a VERY strong oxidizer and yes rubber and plastic can oxidize. IMHO the ozone generator is the reason. I have spoken with my father who has been a analytical chemist in the rubber and plastics industry for over 45 years and he agrees.
    Just my couple of cents worth.
    Good Luck,
    Static1963

Quote Originally Posted by Static1963
    Ozone may very well be the culprit. Ozone is a VERY strong oxidizer and yes rubber and plastic can oxidize. IMHO the ozone generator is the reason. I have spoken with my father who has been a analytical chemist in the rubber and plastics industry for over 45 years and he agrees.
    Good Luck,
    Static1963
    I was pretty sure it was some sort of chemical reaction, but that's a much better explanation.

Welcome to WinDrivers Forums, Static.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Static1963
    Good Luck,
    Static1963

Thank you Static1963. The more and more I think it over I really do think its the Ozone system. Just being I don't think if he was using a CDROM Cleaner yet being that the drive is less than one month old? Another thought was a chemical that the Cleaning Person used to wipe down the outside of the Computer, but why is it only happening to this one computer in the whole office.

edit just found this http://www.ucar.edu/learn/1_7_2_28t.htm While its just a lab for 6-9 grade Students it does touch on what may be happen to the Drives.

Angry I was reading your post and I have the same problen

I have 3 broken cd-rom because the tray belt,I can't find a place to buy this,can you help me out

I also use an aire purifiyer in my computer room and was thinking that could be the problem
    Thanks for your help in advance

Quote Originally Posted by deseqer
    well have a interesting problem. Which probly started two years ago. One of My Customers called in saying his cdrom drive will not open and so He restarted the computer. So I went out on site and found that the Belt that opens the Drive up was broke. No problem Replayed The CDROM drive booted the system. Checked everything out and left.
    About 9 months later the same customer called saying almost the same thing. Drive will not open. ("thats weird" ran threw my head") So went out on sited and found the same thing, CD Rom tray Belt broken. Talked to customer for a little bit asking him how much he used the drive, which was not much. How he open and closed the drive Etc... So being the drive was under warranty I replaced it again, but this time with a different make.
    Then four months ago he calles again saying its doing it again. Went out replaced the drive. ask him if he was having any other problems with the computer which was no. Two months ago same thing. and today. every time its the same thing the belt that drives the cdrom tray is broke. and closer look at the broken belt it is all cracked and brittle.
    the room is on the Third Floor, The heat is set to a conforable temp. its not a very dirty enviroment, The computer runs all week and gets shut down on friday. and turned back on Monday. No Cds are stored in the drive. he presses the eject button to open and close the drive. I have tried 4 different brands of drives in this computer.

[FONT=Arial Black]

cdrom tray belt

Hi ,
    I have the same problem I have 3 cdrom with broken belts
    Can you help me out where can I buy those;I have been looking all over the net
    with no resolts
    I apprecite if you help me on this.
    Thank you
    This is my email address

[email protected]

Thanks again Jose

Quote Originally Posted by FireAm94
    This happened to me last year....3 belts in 3 months. I moved him to an aluminium case with better cooling fans (kinda wanted the case anyway) and when the temps went down.....the dry rotting of the belts stopped. The heat inside the case was too much.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by buck04
    Hi ,
    I have the same problem I have 3 cdrom with broken belts
    Can you help me out where can I buy those;I have been looking all over the net
    with no resolts
    I apprecite if you help me on this.
    Thank you
    This is my email address

[email protected]

Thanks again Jose
    The Drives I was working on I just got a RMA and left out the full details ( I know I am bad. ) I don't know of any place were you can just get the Belts from. The only thing I could think of is get one off another old drive.

You should be able to buy the belts at an electronics store that sells repair parts for VCRs, turntables and tape decks. They have belts listed by diameter and cross section.

one way to test for sure if it is the environment ask him if he has any elastic bands in his office and check them or if he doesnt tell him to set a few out like behind his monitor out of the way and check them in a few weeks, they they are all cracked and broken or snap when you try to stretch them it would answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGS
    one way to test for sure if it is the environment ask him if he has any elastic bands in his office and check them or if he doesnt tell him to set a few out like behind his monitor out of the way and check them in a few weeks, they they are all cracked and broken or snap when you try to stretch them it would answer your question.
    EXACTLY!!!