Blank pop up windows in IE?

Thread: Blank pop up windows in IE?

Blank pop up windows in IE?

Hi all,

Anyone know of a quick fix for blank pop up windows in IE? My wife has a midterm to take online next week and IE is not bringing up pop up windows - or when it does they are blank (all white - not even a 404 message).

The system is winXP Pro SP2, IE6 sp1 with up to date patches. I'm not running any sort of pop-up blocker or software-based firewall. Inet access is via DSL.

I've gone through the IE settings and they are set to the defaults. Moz Firefox works fine - but to access her online course materials I had to spoof the user agent and I've read that there may be some problems spoofing the User agent to IE and using the java plugin.

Looking at MSFT's site the only thing I could find was this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

But the symptoms here say I should be getting a 404 message which I am not.

TIA
    ***I Like Pie***

Banned
    not gonna get into arguaments over "messenger" services ,,,

3 things i have found to block pop ups ,,,wether good or bad , are

1: shoot the messenger.
    2: remove.bat
    3:google toolbar

no. 1 and 2 are on my webpage http://www.pcz8834.fsnet.co.uk/ , download the remove .bat and look at it before running if u want.

no 3 the toolbar ,,works quite good at blocking pop ups this is available here http://toolbar.google.com/

good luck

freddy

This works for me here when we have that issue.

Go to start run, type regsvr32 urlmon.dll

hit enter, a window will pop up, hit ok.

Try it now.....hope that works..... let me know!

Agree with Freddy, install the Google toolbar. I haven't had a single pop since installing, at the moment stands at 856 pop ups blocked.

Jeez, think of all those free credit card offers I've missed....

EDIT

DOH, just read the message properly. Ignore me I'll go away eventually.... Sorry
    Last edited by corturbra; February 24th, 2004 at 10:46 AM.

Maybe I misunderstood....but I took this as when he WANTS a pop up (like clicking a link where a new window will open)....that the windows are blank...sorry if thats not what you wanted to fix....if not, ignore my post earlier.....

Just had a quick look at microsoft's support site and saw this...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;555027

Hope it helps

Banned
    i read the post wrong as well Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

the post above seems to explain it all ,,,,,having said that , i still stand with the google toolbar , and "shoot the messenger"

good luck

freddy

you are right I actually want pop ups

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster Creator
    Maybe I misunderstood....but I took this as when he WANTS a pop up (like clicking a link where a new window will open)....that the windows are blank...sorry if thats not what you wanted to fix....if not, ignore my post earlier.....

Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier. Hard to believe someone actually wants a pop up isn't it? : P The online coursework opens pop up windows that my wife will need to see. Now when they open they are just white space and the caption bar reads "about blank". Same thing goes for those annoying pop-ups on usatoday.com so I've ruled out the school's website as the problem. Also, Mozilla firefox will work correctly but I'm a little hesitant for her to use it since I had to employ the user agent spoofing trick (the website only allows IE 5.5-6) - I'm worried that may cause some sort of problem, I don't know what but I always expect the worst.

I did try the reregistering the urlmon.dll as you suggested but it did not seem to work, do you think I need to log on under her ID and do it?
    ***I Like Pie***

Does it work under your id then?

Quote Originally Posted by corturbra
    Does it work under your id then?

It does seem to work under my ID. I will try the fixes y'all recommended tonight logged in as her (against my better judgement she has admin rights too), and let you know if it worked or not.

I am really curious why this decided to happen on my home PC. I'm running the same OS/browser combo at work and no issues, the only difference is no autoupdates at work.
    ***I Like Pie***

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemac
    It does seem to work under my ID. I will try the fixes y'all recommended tonight logged in as her (against my better judgement she has admin rights too), and let you know if it worked or not.

I am really curious why this decided to happen on my home PC. I'm running the same OS/browser combo at work and no issues, the only difference is no autoupdates at work.

Hi all, reregistering the Dlls (under my wife's ID) as described here: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;555027 appeared to fix the problem (never thought I'd be so happy to see a pop up on usatoday.com). I left a bat file on her desktop should the problem reoccur.

Thanks to all who answered.
    ***I Like Pie***

Cool!!!

This post was a great help. We had the same problem on one of our machines at work. Was able to cure it by running regsvr32 urlmon.dll and regsvr32 actxprxy.dll. I'm posting to let others know that this fix worked under Windows 2000 Pro. Thanks folks!

Quote Originally Posted by cip54
    This post was a great help. We had the same problem on one of our machines at work. Was able to cure it by running regsvr32 urlmon.dll and regsvr32 actxprxy.dll. I'm posting to let others know that this fix worked under Windows 2000 Pro. Thanks folks!
    HA!!! The Search function does TOO work!!

Glad to hear it helped
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert