Will a HP 51629A cartridge [blue cap] work in a HP DJ 540

Thread: Will a HP 51629A cartridge [blue cap] work in a HP DJ 540

Will a HP 51629A cartridge [blue cap] work in a HP DJ 540

Hi all there,

Will a HP 51629A cartridge [blue cap] work in a HP DJ 540..

The reason I ask this is that I have several 51629A cartridges that I refill for a Deskjet 660. Recently I got a Deskjet 540 with ‘few miles on the clock’. I noticed that the pin layout for both device looks the same. However, I don't know if the signal layout, voltage and current is equal too. I can not find any information about that.
    Mechanically the cartridge fits after I cut out a hole in the bracket for the notch. But I haven't switched the system on afraid it might damage the electronics of the print device, thus rendering it useless.

Has anyone any experience with this. I'm aware that the print quality will not improve but for the use I have in mind it might be sufficient.

Thanks in advance,
    PolderTech

I dont know but why did you buy an antique printer, unless you paid it $5 and really didnt wanna pay more than $5, because that printer goes for as little as a buck on ebay (seriously) when for the price of the cartridges you can get a deskjet 5550 thats 17 pages per minute, MUCH easier to refill photo-lab quality (not that junk worst print quality ever of the DJ500/600/700/900 series, except the 700/900 have acceptable quality, still no photo), and did I mention it was a LOT easier to refill? Oh, and it also supports automatic double sided printing and automatic head alignment and paper type detection.
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; March 30th, 2004 at 09:32 AM.

Clickhere, where did you get the assumption that he bought it?

The 51626A is for the 540, frankly the only way to find out is to try I guess!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The "green cap" cartridges are for the old 500 series. The "blue cap" cartridges for the 600 series shouldn't work with it.

Clickhere, NooNoo

The printer was given to me for free; it was just collecting dust. So I don't want to spend to much money on it, there's the reason for my question.

Angel,
    HP provides a similar answer, they could or would not say why. Do you know by any chance why it shouldn't work? I mean: what is the technical reason for not working. I want to know how likely it is that the electronic control circuitry is killed when trying.

Regards, PolderTech

I highly doubt it will do any damage, and if it does, it most likely would be only to the cartridge, but I cant garantee it wont damage the printer.

One thing that would help is to know if they both have the same number of nozzles, if not then they definately wont be compatible, but AFAIK, the quality from both cartridges is just as bad (Ive had printers using those 2 different over a decade ago) so they might be the same (they certainly didnt improve the dot size on the gray ones).

Hmm... I just noticed you said blue cap, I always called that color gray, you and someone else a long time ago also called it blue, I never really saw it as blue, although it is a grayish blue.
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; March 31st, 2004 at 08:41 AM.

It won't damage the printer. If it physically fits (which it shouldn't), the printer will just be unable to detect the caretidge.

It doesntphysically fit:
    the cartridge fits after I cut out a hole in the bracket for the notch.