Newbie Question ( Sharing CD/DVD over XP Network)

Thread: Newbie Question ( Sharing CD/DVD over XP Network)

Newbie Question ( Sharing CD/DVD over XP Network)

I have a major problems dudes.
    I cannot access my CDRW or My DVD drive on one of my computers.
    I have a small Network with 4 computer "switch".
    I have an older computer running 98 and, I can see and access the CDRW with no problem.
    But, on my New computer running Windows XP I cannot access my CDRW or DVD drive. The drive are set up to share "giving permission to everyone", and I can see the drive when I log in using any of my other computers.
    When I try and access them I receive an error Drive is not ready or Access Denied. I can access all other drive on that computer.

Sorry if this has already been covered in another thread "I searched and couldn't find it"

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Just making sure. You do have a cd in these drives right?

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    Yes I have a CD rom in the Drive. I also remeber that it did work once

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    yes I have a cd rom in the drive.
    Can someone tell me why this website "WinDrivers" show a Runtime error 211: object expected error every time I try to load a page

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceCM3
    I have a major problems dudes.
    I cannot access my CDRW or My DVD drive on one of my computers.
    I have a small Network with 4 computer "switch".
    I have an older computer running 98 and, I can see and access the CDRW with no problem.
    But, on my New computer running Windows XP I cannot access my CDRW or DVD drive. The drive are set up to share "giving permission to everyone", and I can see the drive when I log in using any of my other computers.
    When I try and access them I receive an error Drive is not ready or Access Denied. I can access all other drive on that computer.

Sorry if this has already been covered in another thread "I searched and couldn't find it"
    anytime you are sharing with XP you run into the account issue despite what the permissions on your shared resource are.

if you are sharing something from your XP machine and need to access it from a 98 machine, you better log on to the network (via MS Client) with a username and password that are valid local user accounts on the XP machine. if it's XP to XP then the same local account with the same password should exist on both machines, or you will be asked for username and password everytime you try to access the resource. (well you can map the drive specifying a different username and pass but I think you get the idea)
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    anytime you are sharing with XP you run into the account issue despite what the permissions on your shared resource are.

if you are sharing something from your XP machine and need to access it from a 98 machine, you better log on to the network (via MS Client) with a username and password that are valid local user accounts on the XP machine. if it's XP to XP then the same local account with the same password should exist on both machines, or you will be asked for username and password everytime you try to access the resource. (well you can map the drive specifying a different username and pass but I think you get the idea)
    That didn't fix the problem. I can log onto the computer, and see all the other drive on the Computer "both HD, Floopy, and even Portable drive"

The CD is still unavailable. I can access the cdrom, on three other manchine "2 laptop, and a desktop". But the WinXP manchine is the only one having problem with the CD rom

try adding you local admin user to the permissions of the cdrw.. give the account full control.. or just read and modify.

log onto the pc with the drive from your xp machine with the user name and pasword of the admin account you just asisigned.

so you dont have to retype this everytime you reload xp and connect to the share.. add an entry to you network passwords with the name of the cdrw pc as the host and whatever youve assigned as the admin username and password for the rest.
    E R R O R...
    ------------------------------->