Warchalking??
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Warchalking??

Question Warchalking??

Anyone here do this kind of stuff??

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...ing/index.html

It's theft of service. If an access point is open for connecting there is usally a big sign near by saying they offer it. Anything else is illegal. Just my 0.02. Check out www.wardriving.com for all kinds of information. www.netstumbler.org is also a good source of information.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

24/7 24/7...Gotta Love karmador, and its wirless adapter and software w00t doggy

Not yet, but I will be using utilities (including War Linux) to test my own setup once it's up and running here.

Long time no see, Chef.

What's cookin'?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Not yet, but I will be using utilities (including War Linux) to test my own setup once it's up and running here.

Long time no see, Chef.

What's cookin'?
    Check out knoppix STD

It's got all the goodies pre loaded
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    Check out knoppix STD

It's got all the goodies pre loaded
    Did.

Downloaded.

You think it's a better tool for intrusion detection than WarLinux?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer to use good ol cat 5 myself. I might go wireless at some point, but at this time I have no need to do so.
    U.S. out of U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by Jediab
    Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer to use good ol cat 5 myself. I might go wireless at some point, but at this time I have no need to do so.
    If you don't need to then do what your doing. It's just safer that way (and faster). I just LOVE the fact that I can sit out in the living room or anywhere in the house (or yard) and work on whatever. That and school let's us connect via wireless.

Did.

Downloaded.

You think it's a better tool for intrusion detection than WarLinux?
    I think it has everything warlinux has and then some. It has nmap, kismet, ethereal and a butt load of other apps. It even has that linux app to change the admin password on windows boxes (it's gotten me out of a bind or two). This cd is loaded with goodies.

Long time no see, Chef.

What's cookin'?
    ME??
    I still pass by, just don't have alot of time to login and post on the forums.

Let's see. Friends with a lady, working part time as a sales clerk/shipper/receiver and taking full time classes to become a parts person.
    I did take a part time Electronics Technician course last year, but I decided not to continue it.

I decided to get out of the computer trade or at least take a break from it. It became too stressful working on computers and dealing with the non-technical users. It wasn't fun for me anymore. And the computer industry was on the decline until recently. You never know, I might come back to it after I get some experience in the parts trade.

I still like to keep up on the latest hardware products and fiddle around with computers. I will still do the odd computer repair on the side for a friend or family member and custom build my own computers. I also had to repair some of the computers at my workplace after the big -50 degree Celsius weather we had in Late Jan/Early Feb. caused a major power failure. I try not to do any computer work for them, it isn't my job to look after their network and computers.

What's new with Adepster and the others here?

Thanks for the links Gollo. Those are handy. I stay with Cat5 for now too. Wireless sure offers great convenience and freedom, but still very risky and insecure. Owners of these Wireless gateway/routers just need to educate themselves more or the networking companies themselves need to update the wireless standard to add in new security features and faster speed connection.
    Network Wireless technology is still in its infancy stage.

Quote Originally Posted by gazzak
    If they haven't got the sense to secure their wireless networks, (not difficult), then good luck to the free browsers.
    Just cause you leave your house unlocked and/or the door wide open doesn't give people the right to just go "look around" or even take something does it?

Agreed, but then if you did that you can't complain when you're burgled.
    Are you for real!!!

YES you can complain. There is no law stating that you HAVE to lock your home or your car. Yes it is a preventive method but it is not required

Just cause you leave your house unlocked and/or the door wide open doesn't give people the right to just go "look around" or even take something does it?
    The script kiddie Scorpulia (SP) would disagree...

No, I live in a perfect world. It's Friday so I'm not going to turn this into a war. Have a good weekend.
    Aaaw damn. I guess I'll take over!

Why then, Gollo, is the first thing that the police and insurance company look at is the method of entry? If the entry wasn't secured, or improperly used, the scrutinous eye shrinks down to investigate further into the potential for false accusation and fraud, because entry was almost an invitation…now if they had to break in, even if it was just a pane of glass…whole different story.

It ain’t a perfect world!

Are you for real!!!

YES you can complain. There is no law stating that you HAVE to lock your home or your car. Yes it is a preventive method but it is not required
    On that same note it does matter at the time the Thief is sentenced. When and if he gets caught. If he has to defeat a locking device then it is breaking and entering and Grand theft (Felonies). If he can just walk in unrestricted then it is Unlawful entry (misdemeanor) and depending on the amount stolen then it may only be another misdemeanor for this he will just get a slap on the hand unless he had done it before and how many times he's done it.
    Growing up I've spent half of my money on Fast cars, fast women and Booze the other half I just wasted!