vpn questions

Thread: vpn questions

Question vpn questions

I have a couple of Linksys BEFVP41 vpn routers. I've got both of them on broadband connections with dynamic ip's that rarely change. I've got a vpn tunnel created between the two. I cannot figure out, however, to use this tunnel to connect the two networks. The computers connected to the vpn routers all have win xp and win 2000 machines connected to them. The computers are all being assigned dynamic ip's by the routers. The two networks have different workgroup names and different ip schemes. Network 1 using 192.168.2.xxx scheme and Net 2 using 192.168.1.xxx scheme. Has anyone in here successfully done this? I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by tobevers
    I have a couple of Linksys BEFVP41 vpn routers. I've got both of them on broadband connections with dynamic ip's that rarely change. I've got a vpn tunnel created between the two. I cannot figure out, however, to use this tunnel to connect the two networks. The computers connected to the vpn routers all have win xp and win 2000 machines connected to them. The computers are all being assigned dynamic ip's by the routers. The two networks have different workgroup names and different ip schemes. Network 1 using 192.168.2.xxx scheme and Net 2 using 192.168.1.xxx scheme. Has anyone in here successfully done this? I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me on this.
    you need a pair of routers to "route" between the networks (go into yorur routing tables and set things up), your you cheat and change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 so that they are all on the "same" network
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

What sort of evidence do you have that you have a succesful tunnel between the routers?

Can you ping from one router to the other? Can you ping from a workstation on Lan 1 to the router hosting Lan 2?

You need to ascertain whether you have basic ICMP traffic between the lans before you can do anything higher level.

*lin*
    I actually voted for John Kerry, before I voted against him.

Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if this issue was ever resolved.
    I am setting up a VPN and am having the same issues. My 2 networks are 192.168.0.x and the other is 192.168.1.x, both with subnet 255.255.255.0
    I can establish a connection through the tunnel, but I can not brouse to any network shares. I can ping from one network to the next, and I can even log in to the linksys router on the other network.
    If i try to search for a computer name on the other network it does not find it.
    All computers are using windows 2000 pro. The routers are linksys BEFVP41 and the WRV54G.

Been a while since I checked this post. I did get the VPN working. I could tell the tunnel was in place because Linksys lists tunnel status as connected or disconnected. I never could find computers (from local network) on remote network through My Network Places/Network Neighborhood. I searched for computers using remote IP addresses and found them that way, then created shortcut to them on desktops. Could also use Add Network Place in Network Neighborhood/My Network Places to "map" remote computers. A simple solution that obviously should've occurred to me. Sometimes a guys gotta walk away, relax, then come back to problem. Solution magically appears.