HP PAvilion 503W (Trigem Imperial) & no sound

Thread: HP PAvilion 503W (Trigem Imperial) & no sound

HP PAvilion 503W (Trigem Imperial) & no sound

OK,

I have a replacement board (used) that I just installed in a HP Pavilion 503W. Is a Tri-gem Imperial model. Everything works fine (win XP Home), but no sound. It has the Avance-97 chipset on board.

Control-Panel-System-Hardware-DeviceManager-Sound is giving me a Code 10 "this device cannot start" in the Avance Ac97 audio properties.

Also, I have had the lid off the machine for a while. Everyonce in a while it sort of "squacks" (for lack of a better word). I cannot find where this noise is coming from, or if it is part of the problem or not.

I have 3 or 4 different driver sets, but none work so far.

Any suggestions?

A
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

A couple of possibile things to try.

1) What's the BIOS setting for the sound card? If it's set to Auto, maybe try setting it to Enabled.

2) Try booting into Safe Mode, checking the drivers and seeing if the problem is a resource setting. I know that XP is supposed to handle any resources problems, and it does very well I believe, but I've seen about a half dozen systems that had IRQ or I/O memory allocation resource problems that XP couldn't handle. In all the cases I've seen, they've been legacy hardware.

One of the nice things about booting into Safe Mode and checking your drivers is that you can sometimes make resource changes that you can't make in regular mode. Used to do that all the time for 9X and ME.

Good luck with it.
    Perseverance in all matters.

I had the same problem before - and I'm pretty sure it is just only wrong driver installed (Avance Logic driver for some reasons doesn't work for this particular motherboard).

1. Uninstall that driver (without rebooting!)
    2. Download and install audio driver from the following link: http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwar...etype=software
    Don't be surprised - Compaq Presario s5000V (and not only that model) uses the same Imperial-GL (VE) motherboard.
    And this driver is actually working!
    3. Reboot PC and Windows will pick up correct driver (Realtek AC97) automatically...at least I did it today at work and it worked...

Also you can download sound driver from www.realtek.com.tw (ALC650) - another installation procedure, but also works...

Good luck!