The matter of intelligence

Thread: The matter of intelligence

The matter of intelligence

http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/news/...699481,00.html

I have to wonder about a proactive approach after reading the article. I wonder if the FBI/CIA set up bomb making/terrorist websites in the hopes of tracking IPs and discovering possible criminals. Many companies use the same method of creating a 'honey pot' in order to track and capture hackers. I have to wonder about using the same methods both on the web and in the real world (DEA agents who sell drugs, etc). Do we encourage illegal behaviour by doing this or just shine light on those who do so anyway?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

True criminals don't need those plans, good hackers will use a compromised computer as gateway... BLEAH!
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    True criminals don't need those plans, good hackers will use a compromised computer as gateway... BLEAH!
    I disagree. With the columbine shooting there were plenty of indicators including reports to police that were just never followed up on. Granted, you're not going to find true professionals today but, if you tracked the right people in the right places it wouldn't be hard to identify people in the future. That's the point I'm really getting at. People made a big deal out of the FBI's Carnivore but what's the real risk? I see the risk in allowing control over the data sitting in one groups hands but what if it were public the way credit checks are public? You can check your credit report but you can also see who else has checked your credit report. I think a natural balance could evolve out of something like this through accountability. Any anonymous schmoe can dig up information on you but would that same schmoe be inclined to poke around in your life if you could poke back?

I just came up with another example of the pitfalls of anonymity and the lack of personal accountability. Ebay and schill bidding. If there were accurate accountability of internet logons you could solve this problem almost immediately. As it is, people hide behind their supposed anonymity a steal millions every day. It's wrong and it needs to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    .. If there were accurate accountability of internet logons you could solve this problem almost immediately. As it is, people hide behind their supposed anonymity a steal millions every day. It's wrong and it needs to be corrected.
    Right then so stop hiding behind your 'anonymity' & put your real name & address on all your posts then please

Just reading this & the link, the word 'paranoia' keeps popping into my mind ... why the hell you are worried about 'apprentice bomb' makers
    No weapons, bombs or materials to make bombs were discovered at the homes where Mescall and June live. Their parents had given deputies permission to search their rooms and homes. Mescall's computer was seized and sent to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to be analyzed
    There was some confusion among the three on whether the attack was actually going to happen and which of the three was serious about it, according to the investigators.
    in a country that has handguns, semi & full automatic available 'everywhere' .. is beyond me

For crying out loud you can make a pipe bomb with some copper tubing, sugar & weedkiller - we did that in Chemistry at school when I was 14 as an 'experiment' ! - there I'm in big trouble with the FBI now ! - good job I haven't got some stupid 'hick' sherriff out to get re-elected & needing publicity to get re-elected living near me ...

& yeah Cee-Bee is quite right, anyone with 1/2 an idea or 'serious' would have covered their tracks (its not exactly hard ...)

Teenagers doing 'dumb' things & the 'surprise' is ?

You're missing the point. No-one wakes up one day as a professional "bomb maker" or terrorist.

ed, I've really grown weary of the buffoon you appear to be.

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    You're missing the point. No-one wakes up one day as a professional "bomb maker" or terrorist.

ed, I've really grown weary of the buffoon you appear to be.
    & I of the one you impersonate - so that makes us even then !

Don't ask for opinion if you don't want some back you don't like !

I think this is just some stupid kids being stupid - like you ...

You've missed your own point, I think you were asking about 'honeytraps' for 'potential terrorists' but these kids got 'grassed up' by some fellow students - the FBI didn't track 'em down ..

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    in a country that has handguns, semi & full automatic available 'everywhere' .. is beyond me
    Who's got automatic besides law enforcement and military? Those few who are lucky enough to get Class-III licenses, maybe. You make it sound as if full-auto weapons are all just running rampant in the US.

And don't point the fingers this way....especially when coming from a country that has banned "all evil firearms", yet I keep reading about how "backyard armoury" shops are springing up in the UK. You haven't gotten rid of your problem, just driven it underground....Black market, anyone?
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis

WOTPP Light Air Support Wing

Quote Originally Posted by paraflyer
    Who's got automatic besides law enforcement and military? Those few who are lucky enough to get Class-III licenses, maybe. You make it sound as if full-auto weapons are all just running rampant in the US.

And don't point the fingers this way....especially when coming from a country that has banned "all evil firearms", yet I keep reading about how "backyard armoury" shops are springing up in the UK. You haven't gotten rid of your problem, just driven it underground....Black market, anyone?
    Oh so you want a propper gun to play with ? - its you doing the finger pointing - I'm merely commenting on the far greater availability of handweapons in the US vs elsewhere ..

So what are these kids so guilty of ? Looking at a few 'iffy' internet sites - the entire contents of which they can find out in Chemistry if they pay attention at School !, & making a few threats against some other kids who probably pissed them off as teenagers do ! .... & ...? oh yeah the sheriff wants some votes ...