router problem ?

Thread: router problem ?

router problem ?

I got two computers running XP home. They are connected by cable through a router. I have a MR814v2 Netgear router.

When I try to access yahoo mail I can get into the mail program and see the email, but when I click on one nothing happens, the hourglass and it times out. Oh yea, that happens on both computers. If I disconect the router, I can access the email on both systems. So, the router must be blocking it somehow.

I've checked the web setup page for the router and I can't see anything that would cause this. Both systems can file share and see each other.

I have virus checkers on both systems. Pc-cilian on one and the other is one from computer associates.

Oh, sometimes when I try and access mail with outlook express it takes a long time in starting up, but does come up.

Updated my virus definations and ran ad-aware.

Anyone, have any ideas of where to check ?

Quote Originally Posted by charlescpc
    I got two computers running XP home. They are connected by cable through a router. I have a MR814v2 Netgear router.

When I try to access yahoo mail I can get into the mail program and see the email, but when I click on one nothing happens, the hourglass and it times out. Oh yea, that happens on both computers. If I disconect the router, I can access the email on both systems. So, the router must be blocking it somehow.

I've checked the web setup page for the router and I can't see anything that would cause this. Both systems can file share and see each other.

I have virus checkers on both systems. Pc-cilian on one and the other is one from computer associates.

Oh, sometimes when I try and access mail with outlook express it takes a long time in starting up, but does come up.

Updated my virus definations and ran ad-aware.

Anyone, have any ideas of where to check ?

Finally got it !!
    Finally after getting through to support there is a setting that had to be adjusted. The setting was for the mtu size... changes it from 1500 to 1472 and it worked like a charm.......
    So now I think everything works ....................
    Always something ..............

Good stuff Charles... except I fail to see the connection between mtu size and opening a window in ie.... mebbe someone knows?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Why the MTU Size Must Be Changed

When a user requests a web site, a client/server negotiation occurs between the PC and the web server that is hosting the web site. During the negotiation, a maximum MTU size is negotiated. Because the PC is negotiating and its default MTU size is 1500 bytes (Windows 3x, 9x, NT, ME, and so forth), the web server negotiates an MTU size of 1500 bytes. Therefore, regardless of the MTU size you configure on the router, the web server still sends packets up to 1500 bytes in size.

The reason why some pages don't fully load is that the router fragments IP packets if the PC MTU is misconfigured and a packet greater than 1492 bytes is sent to the router. This fragmentation doesn't occur on the return path through the universal access concentrator (UAC) (Cisco 6400 or 7200). When the UAC receives a packet greater than 1492 bytes, the packet is dropped, and the UAC generates and sends an Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) message to the web server that sent the oversized packet. The ICMP informs the web server that it sent an oversized packet and that it needs to resend the packet with a smaller MTU.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

aaah, and then the pc goes ahead and asks for another oversized packet.... good one.... not.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Same Problem

I'm having the same problem with my yahoo e-mail, it sounds exactly like the original problem posted; i just don't really know how to fix it. I don't know where to find the mtu setting or anything. I'm running XP Home and my router is a netgear WGR614. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!
    -rick

Welcome to Windrivers!

here is a simple checker at dsl reports

The MTU settings reside in the registry.

If the grey box doesn't do anything you need java

Quote Originally Posted by rickyang
    I'm having the same problem with my yahoo e-mail, it sounds exactly like the original problem posted; i just don't really know how to fix it. I don't know where to find the mtu setting or anything. I'm running XP Home and my router is a netgear WGR614. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!
    -rick
    Rick I'm at work now but when I get home I will try and send you more info.
    The address my router setup page is 192.168.0.1
    just put that in your brousers page and you should need a userid and password.
    ON mine that came with admin and password was "password".
    Then I went to a section "WAN" and found a place to change the 1500 to 1476.
    My router is a different model than your but I think this information will be the same.
    Then near the bottom just logout and that updates the changes. THen you will probably have to unplug the router to load the new settings.
    THe pc's my have to be powered down too. I don't remember on that but it won't hurt.
    If that's the same problem that will fix it.