USB 2.0 pen drive crashing XP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: USB 2.0 pen drive crashing XP

Quote Originally Posted by DodgyDave
    Ah....

I had this exact same problem, with the same Abit KT7a Raid motherboard, last year, in my case I found, buy trial and error, that it was a Creative SoundBaster Live update, that was the cause of all my problems.

Unfortunately, I've now got the same problem again ! However, this time, even removing all Creative drivers has not cured my Pen Drive problems.

Interestingly I have a 3Gb USB hard drive and that still works fine !

Anoying isn't it !*$**!

Any suggestions, before I spend the rest of Easter on this, much appreciated.

Regards, Dave
    Adding to Confus=ed suggestion, if this is xp or 2k, does is show up in disk management or device manager as an unknown or splatted device?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Smile

Had the same problem on 2 home PC's (One W2K, one WIN XP). Tracked the problem down to my AV software which was CA E-Trust v6.1. Upgraded E-Trust to V7.0 and hey presto, all now working fine on both machines. Simple when you now how!
    Quote Originally Posted by richardw
    Hi,

I've just bought myself a ByteStor 256Mb USB2.0 pen drive, which is starting to drive me crazy! I use it on 3 machines (work, home and college) and its fine on the work (Compaq Evo - Win XP SP1) and college (Elonex - Win2K) boxes, but constantly crashes my home PC. The box is home built - Abit KT7A v1.3 mobo, GeForce FX5200 graphics, Ali USB 2.0 pci card, Win XP SP1, - and each time I try and stop the device to remove it I get a quick BSOD, then the PC reboots. If I try and eject the device, same thing. If I leave it connected for a while, same thing again after a random amount of time.

I've tried all the latest drivers I can think of (except flashing the BIOS - thats to be done this weekend), checked all patches I can think of, including getting the USB 1.1 & 2.0 patch from M$. Nothing seems to help.

I've contacted ByteStor tech support (4 days ago) but I haven't had a response yet. I really don't don't want to send the drive back as it was a great price (cheapskate, I know), and I use ByteStor CF cards in a number of devices and they've always been great. Anyone any ideas what I can do to try and resolve this?